Sponsored

Been caught in the rain yet with top off?

met

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Weather is turning nice fast and tops are coming off! ;-) Who has been caught in the rain with the MGV? Carpet? Any electronic or dry time issues?
Sponsored

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Last spring I got caught on my 90 minute commute home from work in a torrential downpour that came out of the blue here in Texas. I religiously check the weather, but our weather changes on a dime with zero warning. Top was fully off and I was freezing going down the freeway! No where to really pull off to for cover, so I just toughed it out. When I pulled into the driveway my husband was standing in the garage laughing his ass off holding a stack of towels. He dried out the inside of my truck while I jumped in the shower and warmed up. No lasting damage. I have cloth seats and carpet with weathertech floor mats. Carpet stayed dry under the mats and the seats were dry the next morning. I was going to use our carpet shampoo machine to extract the water out of the seats, but it didn't need it. Now I keep my BRONCOVER in my truck at all times when the top is off. Can't use it when you are driving, but you could pull over and throw it on real quick if it looks like you might get stuck in a storm.

Bronccraig

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Challenger RT Hemi Orange
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not in bronco..in my CJ 5 and 7 yes…nothing like stinging raindrops at 40 mph..lol

Sponsored

Skwatch

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak, 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My wife and I got caught about 60 miles from home in a pop up storm. It was a beautiful day in Door County, Wi we were enjoying the drive and looked at the weather for some strange reason and thought we better make a run back to Green Bay! It started raining pretty good about 5 minutes later, we were going highway speeds about 65-70mph and we didn't get wet. We had the windows up but no top at all it was wild how we stayed dry.

First Name
Jodi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend 2D 2.3 mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My wife and I got caught about 60 miles from home in a pop up storm. It was a beautiful day in Door County, Wi we were enjoying the drive and looked at the weather for some strange reason and thought we better make a run back to Green Bay! It started raining pretty good about 5 minutes later, we were going highway speeds about 65-70mph and we didn't get wet. We had the windows up but no top at all it was wild how we stayed dry.
My dad had a 68 Corvette convertible and always said if the rain is getting you wet, you aren’t going fast enough. :)

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's a boat inside. No problems. Worse is getting rain thru the rear windows on the highway that end up in the jack storage hole...pull the plugs!

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco got absolutely drenched with the hard top off.. Surprise desert rainstorm got me good. Puddles in the seats, puddles on the dash, you name it.

I threw the hard top on, ran the heater for 15 minutes and went back to check the damage the next day. Long story short, everything was absolutely fine other than needing an air freshener a week later for the weird moisture smell.

I have MGV and it handled it like a champ. The only spots that held on to a mildew were the few fabric areas of the seats and head rests. Everything else was absolutely fine.. I used one of the 'bomb' style air fresheners that you pop, throw in your car and let sit for 15 minutes. No issues since!

My Bronco has also gotten quite wet inside from deep water crossings and same thing - never a long term smell and zero long term issues.

DWood

Black Diamond
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bronco got absolutely drenched with the hard top off.. Surprise desert rainstorm got me good. Puddles in the seats, puddles on the dash, you name it.

I threw the hard top on, ran the heater for 15 minutes and went back to check the damage the next day. Long story short, everything was absolutely fine other than needing an air freshener a week later for the weird moisture smell.

I have MGV and it handled it like a champ. The only spots that held on to a mildew were the few fabric areas of the seats and head rests. Everything else was absolutely fine.. I used one of the 'bomb' style air fresheners that you pop, throw in your car and let sit for 15 minutes. No issues since!

My Bronco has also gotten quite wet inside from deep water crossings and same thing - never a long term smell and zero long term issues.
Probably from the carpet on the underside of the cargo floor. Had the same issue in my BD, pulled it and stuck it in front of a shop fan for a few hours.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I get the MGV and washout floors are there for a reason but what about the electronics? Is the transfer case selector and the LCD panels any kind of water proof? I have been thoroughly soaked in my FJ40 many times but there was zero electronics in the cab to worry about, the Bronc on the other hand is like a circuit board on wheels sp sees there would be major concerns about soaking or "hosing out" the interior.
Sponsored