Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

are they really?

Ive opened mine up to change the battery... the housing definitely isnt waterproof, and the circuitry doesnt look sealed.
then maybe if you go camping you might need a ziplock bag. or a little pelican case to protect your key...
Sponsored

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Guess I’m going to show my age, but are y’all saying one can no longer start a vehicle with the old fashioned tried and true mechanical metal key?
Now get off my lawn.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Guess I’m going to show my age, but are y’all saying one can no longer start a vehicle with the old fashioned tried and true mechanical metal key?
Now get off my lawn.
Ha Ha, remines me of the first time driving a new truck at work. I pulled out the little metal key, but couldn't find a hole to stick it in. I had to get a kid in the office to come out and show me how it was done

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking the best solution these days would be to have a spare key/fob in the vehicle with the battery removed or taped over in combination with the keyless entry keypad. That way, if your original key is gone, you use the keyless entry pad to access your vehicle, put the battery in the spare key/fob and you're good to go
1 - You don't need a battery in the spare "hidden" fob. Just stick it in the backup slot in the center console and you can start the engine. Same thing for fob with water damage or dead battery.

2 - You can leave the battery in the hidden fob. As long as you have a second fob, it will disable the fob left inside the bronco (can be reenabled by pressing unlock on the disabled remote).

But you still need either keypad or cut key to gain entry.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Now get off my lawn.
One of my cars has a push button start with no old school key start capability. You must have the fob - which costs $300 to replace! And god forbid you lose your last fob, then it can cost $1000 for a new one! I hope Bronco has a better lower cost extra fob option.

Also how secure is the center console if people will be leaving fobs in there? Especially if the top is soft top or off.

OP
OP
Virtual-Chris

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get the door keypad and lock the key in the center console.
1 - You don't need a battery in the spare "hidden" fob. Just stick it in the backup slot in the center console and you can start the engine. Same thing for fob with water damage or dead battery.

2 - You can leave the battery in the hidden fob. As long as you have a second fob, it will disable the fob left inside the bronco (can be reenabled by pressing unlock on the disabled remote).

But you still need either keypad or cut key to gain entry.
Interesting. I’ve not heard of the backup slot in the console. What is this all about?

I’m leaning towards adding the keypad on my vehicle. I didn’t consider it before, but it sounds like a great backup for entry, or even in situations where I’m meeting my wife at the vehicle… if she doesn’t have her key, she’s not hanging around outside waiting for me if she’s done before I am.

ps. My recent German cars won’t let me leave a fob in the car - it won’t lock. Ford is clearly a bit more sophisticated ;)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting. I’ve not heard of the backup slot in the console. What is this all about?
If you look on the owners manual there's a whole section about it. In the center console at the bottom there's an area that you can place a key fob in to program it, start the car if you need to, etc.

That's why I mentioned buying a third key fob right away, because you can use that slot to program it as long as you have the two original ones. Not sure how much they'll cost but it may be a good use of all the Ford reward points we're getting.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Now get off my lawn.
Yup.. there is literally no keyhole to put your key into. It is a push button start, so the mechanical key can unlock the doors, the glove box and the center console, But you need the chip inside the key fob to actually start the car.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

are they really?

Ive opened mine up to change the battery... the housing definitely isnt waterproof, and the circuitry doesnt look sealed.
It's not that water will damage anything electrical (assuming you get it dries before it corrodes)... It is the shorting out due to water connecting the +/- somewhere at an exposed location.

Maybe the 3v battery doesn't produce enough jiuce to make that jump but electricity and water don't mix.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So I took the keypad off my order because: a) it is an ugly stick on thing, and b) they stick it on in the middle of a beautiful body panel. I figure I will buy the stick on keypad and stick it in some location I want it (thinking on the black B Pillar rather than my CO door, but have read inside the fuel door if it will open when the vehicle is locked).

But yeah - this is the one usecase where the keypad makes sense to me.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My recent German cars won’t let me leave a fob in the car - it won’t lock. Ford is clearly a bit more sophisticated ;)
Ha, my Audi would alert me if my phone was still in the car too. I found it to be super helpful and a great feature.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Uhh... there's a keyhole in the door handle. Just get a key cut.
At one time, I had a buddy at a Ford dealership that would make me a door key for $3. I expect a local locksmith could cut a “laser” one for under $20.
Sponsored