First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm thinking about how best to work around the possibility of a lost or damaged key fob while out hiking or camping.

The old trick use to be that you would store one in a magnetic box somewhere outside.

I'm thinking the best solution these days would be to have a spare key/fob in the vehicle with the battery removed or taped over in combination with the keyless entry keypad. That way, if your original key is gone, you use the keyless entry pad to access your vehicle, put the battery in the spare key/fob and you're good to go.

Any other solutions?
Sponsored

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Put in on a lanyard and wear it as a necklace

OP
OP
Virtual-Chris

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Put in on a lanyard and wear it as a necklace
Yeah, of course the best measure is not to lose or damage it in the first place, but shit happens. :). What if it gets submerged by accident (you fall) and ends up non-functional?

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Your solution of an extra fob with the battery removed (and hidden seperately) sounds pretty good.

While out hiking in NM once my wife lost her set of keys (I still had mine) didn't know where (definition of lost I know) We had to cross a thigh deep creek, she removed her pants. As a joke I filmed her crossing. Later when watching the video at home we saw her keys fall out of her pocket into the creek. I am not allowed to share the video, but it is quite funny!

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well if the lanyard around the neck doesn’t work because you end up swimming or fording a river you could also seal it in a zip lock and put it in a backpack. If you’ve got two arms in the backpack it’s be a pretty neat trick to lose it. They even make waterproof backpacks if you don’t trust the ziplock bag.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well one thing...buy a 3rd FOB before losing one so you can program it for free. Once you are down to 1... it's going to require a dealer trip.

PavementPrincess

Badlands
First Name
Asha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't know if Ford does this, but Jeep partners w/ Sirius to provide service where you can remote un/lock and start your vehicle with an app. BUT, you would need not to lose your phone either. Sounds like the keypad is the best option.

Sponsored

Geekytrails

Badlands
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't know if Ford does this, but Jeep partners w/ Sirius to provide service where you can remote un/lock and start your vehicle with an app. BUT, you would need not to lose your phone either. Sounds like the keypad is the best option.
You can apparently unlock it with the Ford Pass app

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, of course the best measure is not to lose or damage it in the first place, but shit happens. :). What if it gets submerged by accident (you fall) and ends up non-functional?
key fobs have been waterproof for decades. i have been in salt water with keys in my pocket. with fobs many times. you have nothing to worry about. if you are worried, it looks like there is a key lock on the doors. just get a mechanically cut key and hide your disabled fob inside the car..... seems like making an issue out of a non issue...

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get the door keypad and lock the key in the center console.

^^^ This

My father almost exclusively uses his keypad while the fob just stays in his F150. He remote starts with the app.

Onthegas

Base
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basemansquatch 5/9/22
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My key shop made me a flat key for my Ram 3500 and I keep it in my wallet at all times. It allows me to unlock the door manually and then fetch my smartkey that I left inside. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes not!
Sponsored