First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wanting to bump this thread now that more people are driving their Broncos. I thought this vehicle would offer greater versatility compared to my more traditional SUV due to the larger square rear cargo space, but perhaps all this time waiting is giving me too much time to doubt my judgement.

I ended up going down this road as a tangent from a pickup truck like the Tacoma because I wanted to make transport of gear, particularly bikes, easier. That includes bikes in the winter, when they need to be inside the vehicle to prevent getting covered in salt (a bed cap would therefore be needed for a pickup).

I am starting to feel that the Bronco does not achieve this original goal unless I can get at least one bike inside the vehicle easily. That is 75% of my use-case. In those cases, when multiple bikes are needed in the non-winter months, the use of a hitch mounted rack will be fine, but comes with the additional steps of using a swing out mount plus, possibly, an extension due to the spare tire mounted on the back.

Was hoping to achieve something akin to this in a four-door (with both sides of the bench down):

ford-flexibus-2019.jpg
I don't have good news. I just got my bronco home yesterday and my road bike 55cm I'm 5-10 does not fit well with front wheel off, it's a 1/4" too tall
Sponsored

Meandeane

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4 Door Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
front wheel def has to come off, I couldn't get the bike to stand straight up due to the extra hump when the seats were laid down compared to my Wrangler, but depends on the frame/seatpost height

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You will easily be able to get two bikes, maybe three if you position the bikes so that two are in one direction and the third in the opposite direction, into the back of a 2 door or 4 door Bronco. Of course, you will need to have the back seats down, and the front wheels removed. I should also mentioned that you will have to drop your seat posts as well.

porkchop express

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 camaro ss 1le, 2017 focus st, 2020 ram
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Has anyone ever used a spare tire rack? Or any recommendations?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mark T

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There were photos/video from the first bronco celebration event in Buena Vista in 2020 (the one with all the snow) that showed two bikes in the back (wheel off) of a 4 door.

It might have been a Bronco sport though......? I think it was red.
I have seen that photo, but I would like to know the size of bike. Many of us ride 29” wheel mountain bikes. They are considerably bigger than the older 26’.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mark T

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I could have sworn in very early days one of the promo videos showed a four door bronco with two bikes inside on an interior mount (front tires off)
It was one of the things that pushed me towards a four door. I mean, they were also showing interiors that we didn’t get and white tops so maybe that was another fantasy, but if anyone can either find this video or call me crazy that would be awesome.

I’m in your same boat, don’t really want the exterior rack because of the clunkiness of the spare tire and on road trips I’m not comfortable leaving my bike on the back, even locked up. My first trip planned with the bronco is driving to Arizona to pick up the new yeti SB130-so I’m really hoping to have a solution before then!
I have wondered whether the bikes in that photo were 26” wheel bikes.

OP
OP

Mark T

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't have good news. I just got my bronco home yesterday and my road bike 55cm I'm 5-10 does not fit well with front wheel off, it's a 1/4" too tall
2 door Bronco?

Rjcory

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow! Am sorry to hear that.
Me too I have been driving a Honda Element for 15 years and I am extremely spoiled when it comes to internal bike storage. I will figure something out . I love the Bronco but the very low Pillar height in back is very limiting

Sponsored

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My solution was to hack together a small and light hitch rack out of a $20 harbor freight vice mount and old roof rack parts. It works great although bikes do get dirty on the back after 20 miles of dirt road travel.

Ford Bronco Bike transport inside Bronco IMG_0476

Ford Bronco Bike transport inside Bronco IMG_4351

OP
OP

Mark T

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dirty indeed!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a rack, but didn’t want to use it for 1 bike with the potential for some salt spray from the pavement between my house and the trail. I didn’t try to make it stand upright, but my Medium Giant Yukon fat bike fits without the front wheel, no problem.

Ford Bronco Bike transport inside Bronco 1641682899629