First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
What ratio is better for street driving? I'm looking to go with BD, but plan to upgrade tires to 33" ASAP. No looking to take this off read often either.
If you’re staying on the street then lower is better typically. I may want to upgrade the BD up to 35s eventually so a higher gear ratio would be preferred if not needed for off-roading.

Can’t wait for ford to just confirm everything. The anticipation is killing me haha.
Sponsored

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Black Diamond comes with a 4.46 axle in both auto and manual.
1595451070347.png
Awesome, thanks. I hope I can switch trim/model from base to BD then when the time comes. My dealer said so but I have a feeling most dealers don’t know too much this early.

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I can deal with a lot of things, but the black steel wheels was a big miss on this model. there needs to be some contrast. the lower end base or bb looks better than the black as well.

desert_rat

Big Bend
First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can deal with a lot of things, but the black steel wheels was a big miss on this model. there needs to be some contrast. the lower end base or bb looks better than the black as well.
yeah they look like the real hubcaps fell off

JRYbronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Starting to consider the BD, but can someone please clarify for me:

(Base) 3.73 Open Style Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio
(Base + Rear locker) 4.27 Locking Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio - aluminum?
(Black Diamond) 4.46 Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio - is this also aluminum like the 4.27?
(Squatch) 4.7 Electronic-locking Front and Rear Axle

Sponsored

bigjwalt

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agree. Not sure why, but I think they look cheap and terrible. Will definitely upgrade that aspect.

TheDo114

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Starting to consider the BD, but can someone please clarify for me:

(Base) 3.73 Open Style Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio
(Base + Rear locker) 4.27 Locking Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio - aluminum?
(Black Diamond) 4.46 Rear Axle Final Drive Ratio - is this also aluminum like the 4.27?
(Squatch) 4.7 Electronic-locking Front and Rear Axle
Seems to me that all rear diffs are iron and the front diffs are aluminum on any models lower than Badlands, unless you go for the Sasquatch package.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Bronco Thread 1595456544374

TheDo114

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's funny, because one of the reasons I am drawn to the BD is because of the black steel wheels. I think they look fantastic. They looked really great on the BD I saw earlier this week. I think they look infinitely better than the grey steelies on the base model.
Can't wait for the steel wheels!! The wheels on my 4Runner are falling apart and there is nothing that I can do since they are alloy.

ChapEJF

Outer Banks
First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX/BD Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am not surprised that the steel wheels on the BD are polarizing for those selecting this trim. While I do very much like the look of the steel wheels, I think the reason I like them on the BD is because this trim will look so much different than any of the other trims. The wheels on the other trims seem to me to be more of the same old designs while the steel wheels really bring a distinctive though understated look that I really like. Just my opinion.

BRNCONOW!

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150 XLT Super Crew Short Bed 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not flaming you, but I think the black steel wheels look the sh!t. I love the industrial look. I guess that is why they have options

Sponsored

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That's funny, because one of the reasons I am drawn to the BD is because of the black steel wheels. I think they look fantastic. They looked really great on the BD I saw earlier this week in person. I think they look infinitely better than the grey steelies on the base model.
Not flaming you, but I think the black steel wheels look the sh!t. I love the industrial look. I guess that is why they have options
i'm sure some peeps will like certain blackout looks, even ones that aren't nice just becuse they are

.but to me these look very unfinished. you can go all black and have some style. these just leave you hanging. even colored bolts seems like it would help them

TheDo114

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i'm sure some peeps will like the blackout look. but to me it looks very unfinished. you can go all black and have some style. these just leave you hanging. even colored bolts seems like it would help them
There is an option to upgrade them to non steelies if you want.

bobby bunny time

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
flintstones mobile
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
There is an option to upgrade them to non steelies if you want.
there are several things like like about the bd but I can live without most of them.

right now my main fight is getting the vin/rub package on the base or bb. if I can't for some reason it's move up exclusively just for it, and pay more or deal with cloth.

seems like the bd is geared towards the no nonsense off road enthusiaists. i will say i would like using the bd to plow my drivceway in the wintertime. and by plow i mean go back and forth in the snow having the plates protect the undercarrage as i do

TheDo114

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
there are several things like like about the bd but I can live without most of them.

right now my main fight is getting the vin/rub package on the base or bb. if I can't for some reason it's move up exclusively just for it, and pay more or deal with cloth.

seems like the bd is geared towards the no nonsense off road enthusiaists. i will say i would like using the bd to plow my drivceway in the wintertime. and by plow i mean go back and forth in the snow having the plates protect the undercarrage as i do
I'm in the same boat as you. It's the very first trim where the vinyl interior is offered with a locking rear diff, steelies, bigger tires and the steel bumper.

Kind of a shame it's not available in the base but at the same time if I put all of those options on the base it would probably cost the same as the Black Diamond :p

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What ratio is better for street driving? I'm looking to go with BD, but plan to upgrade tires to 33" ASAP. No looking to take this off read often either.

In general, high gears for normal street, low gears for off road. The bigger the tires, the lower the gears.

There is usually a range that does both adequately, but choosing gears is always a trade off. I do mostly slower driving, under 65mph on road, and lots of off road. For me, the lower gears are better. For someone who will DD this on the interstate at 75mph+, the higher gears would be better.

You either get sluggish starts or too high rpm top end if you get the wrong gears.

I hope the BD has the option of lower gears like what the Badland comes with.
Sponsored