Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah totally- I’m still waiting on the shop to get more info on exactly what about this was the known issue (ie 2.3, Outer Banks, what building it was from… etc) but - I am still waiting on them to fix as the part has to come from Michigan. So …. Yeah I had my car for 2 weeks and this happened. Super pissed . Now I’m paying for a car thats just sitting there yet again waiting for a part. Not cool. Depending on how they handle this I’m thinking about chasing this one down with Ford directly. This is not a faulty light or something like that. This is really serious and to have it be a known issue this should be recalled …if it is a known issue. Right?
My question is, what are they going to fix? It sounds like this happens due to the design of the system, not a faulty part. If they fix it, will it be ok going forward? If so, why aren't they recalling the Rangers and Broncos now?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Oly

Oly

Outer Banks
First Name
TW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would immediately trade it in if this happened to me. At least you can get top dollar right now. Let it be someone else's problem.
Yeah I told my dealer I might enact the lemon law in CA, he told me I’d be better off selling it as I’d make more $. I love the car just not sure if I can trust it at this point.

jd-ford-hd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Explorer, ‘13 F150, ‘99 F350, '74 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Badlands, 2.3, 10spd auto, 33" tires. About 3 or 4 weeks ago, on the interstate, a total panic stop in both lanes by everyone.! I stood on the brake pedal as hard as I could, literally.!! ABS cycled for maybe a millisecond. Almost rear ended by an idiot with his horn blaring like I had anything to do with the whole situation. My wife was panting almost as hard as I was.! Result: flawless braking, which could have ended with a new Bronco that looked like an accordion.! As a side note, today, from a 10 MPH roll, I reached down and applied the emergency brake and it definitely will bring you to a stop and it immediately released when I let off the handle when still rolling. Hope the OP gets an answer to his experience.!

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3 definitely has vacuum brake boost - see spec sheet -

? Ford has this 'known issue' for 10 years now ?? Seriously ?
? Known life threatening Stop Sale, Don't Drive defect for 10-years ?
? Who's running that show ? Just complete morons & PC fools ?
What a steaming pile . . .

2021 Tech Specs p3 copy.jpg
What some folks don’t understand is that the 2.3’s brake system shared with the present generation Ranger has many documented issues other than total failure. On a good day they are prone to mushy pedal , poor modulation and long stopping distances. If you are an unbeliever go to the Ranger forum and archive magazine tests. I have read a bunch. Not good. I was given some hope when I found out that the 2.7’s brake system came with electronic assist (my order). But the 2.3 is a shared platform carry over. I definitely would not have ordered a Bronco if it only came with the 2.3 knowing of the deficiencies in the engine and brakes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…

When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?
FORD did send a temporary fix memo to all Dealers to tell their clients to unlatch their soft top in the front if driving at high speeds and throw the top in the air to help slow your Bronco down. It's a "Goat Mode" fix called "Airplane" as in : Go Omg Airplane Tactic" Mode.
For Hard Top owners you just pop the front two panels out and jump. Make sure to Tuck and Role.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oly

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…

When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?
I'm going to make a note of this issue on my new 2022 FORD Calendar I got from Bronco Nation in the mail yesterday. Then I will go lay down in my FORD hammock while waving my Black Bronco Nation flag in surrender.

CG2DOOR

Wildtrak
First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There is an SSM from Ford on the 2.3 for a brake issue.
50314 - 2021 Bronco - 2.3L - Illuminated Brake Warning Lamp And/Or Brake System Warning
Some 2021 Bronco vehicles equipped with the 2.3L engine may exhibit a red brake warning lamp and/or brake system warning message in the instrument panel cluster (IPC) with a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P050F in the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module and a firm brake pedal. This may be due to contamination in a brake booster vacuum line. To correct this condition, replace the vehicle's vacuum ho se (MB3Z-2420-A). Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-09 for installatio n instructions. For claiming, use casual part 2420

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
War vets and Rape victims get PTSD.... you almost had a car crash.
Sponsored