First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wheeling buddy back then had a I think 1991 Ranger pick-up that came with a 8.8" rear and Dana 35 TTB front. It would handle alot more power and 35" tires.
yeah the 8.8 is actually a really good rear end but I liked the removeable third member of the ford 9" and 8"
Sponsored

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To me, there are four (4): the 66-77; the 78-79; the 80-96; and the 2021 to the present.

I know the technical reasons why it's the sixth, but if Fiberwerx can make bedsides and front ends for 80-96 Broncos, then... it should be something less than a "generation" in my opinion. I roll with the generally accepted 6G, EB, 78-79, and FSB. Not a big deal unless someone is looking for a specific generation or parts for one. The photo @redone17 posted is the best cheat sheet.
Should still be 5 then. 80-86 had different wheel arches compared to 87-96 and different body lines. Hoods are not interchangeable between the 3 similar gens either. 80-86 was/is my favourite and more specifically 85-86.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That had to be a tiny pinion with 4.56 gearing in a 7.5"
Yes it was! What was worse was the Dana 27 or 28 in the front. I bought a limited slip for the front, and when it came it was so small, :unsure: I thought it was something for a riding lawnmower. But what was funny I never had an issue with it.

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes it was! What was worse was the Dana 27 or 28 in the front. I bought a limited slip for the front, and when it came it was so small, :unsure: I thought it was something for a riding lawnmower. But what was funny I never had an issue with it.
Thats awesome it was probably the limited slip that saved you. If you had a full locker the story may have been different

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This is a good point for the purist, and shows alot of how Ford operated through those years. From 78-96 Bronco was part of the F-series truck group. It's "generations" are the same as F-series pickups. There wasn't a "superduty" back then. F-150, F-250, and F-350 were all variations built on the same platform, as was Bronco (full size as they called it then). Only 1st gen, and now 6th gen were ever thier own animal (which blew me away when they announced the launch of 6g). Although one could argue 6g shares alot w/Ranger
gen 1 was based on the f100 that was later discontinued. Ford even tried the "unibody" (bed and cab NOT seperated) on the p/u, unsuccessfully, before using the platform on the 1G.

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

yeah the dana 28 ujoints looked like the ones on the 6g steering shaft...hahaha.

I used to snap them constantly.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Gen1 and my G6.

Ford Bronco Bronco 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G, 6G -- Generations Compared Bronco_then_now (2)

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My two favorite are still the first and 2nd gen. However the second gen did not really have any good engine choices but if you had a 429 or 460 laying around they did bolt right in because the 385 and 335 engine family had the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing except the 351c
That's exactly what I did on my second gen, that 351M/400 was effectively a boat anchor. Dropped in a 429 thunder jet and any power issues or struggles that Bronco had were resolved instantly with that power plant. The only drawback I had to run premium in it.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow, I thought I was a pretty staunch gatekeeper with the two-door vs Mordor debates, haha. I see your point, though. It's like if Ford called the Expedition the Explorer and made it the successor to it. The flip side is that both of those are largely identical except for size. There was no other vehicle like the Bronco ever made by Ford and it was always a truck. Merging the style, some dimensions, and components with the F-series can be viewed as killing off a wholly separate vehicle construction that was virtually a different brand of its own or as the unification of Ford vehicles and incorporating common Ford elements into the Bronco's construction thereby integrating this wild vehicle into the brand.

This is a rare instance where I can see it either way and it doesn't bother me. I support your choice of view.
Some people get up tight when I mentioned that the real Bronco was discontinued in '77. I owned three first Gens and one second gen and I did like the second gen but it was really an F-150 with a camper shell on the back. And from that point it morphed into something different than its original intentions back in the mid-60s

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thinking about it, the Expedition should’ve just kept the Bronco name. A 2 door version of that would’ve been awesome.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
To me, there are four (4): the 66-77; the 78-79; the 80-96; and the 2021 to the present.

I know the technical reasons why it's the sixth, but if Fiberwerx can make bedsides and front ends for 80-96 Broncos, then... it should be something less than a "generation" in my opinion. I roll with the generally accepted 6G, EB, 78-79, and FSB. Not a big deal unless someone is looking for a specific generation or parts for one.
Agreed.

From 1980 to 1996 the differences in the F-150 are minor, and honestly correspond to 3 minor refreshes, not an actual generation change.

Same for the Bronco.

Same base vehicle, same suspension, same engine choices. Mostly just a bit of sheetmetal and headlamps.

Power Man

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F150, Mustang Conv, 69 Bronco. 62 Ec
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have been a Bronco lover since the beginning. My current 22 and 23 models are my 12th and 13th Broncos. I also currently have a 95 and 69 in my stable. I have owned at least One of every Gen. So far my favorite Gens are 4 and 5. Time will tell how Gen 6 competes for my favorite.

Power Man

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F150, Mustang Conv, 69 Bronco. 62 Ec
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also agree that ford should have kept the name Bronco for the 1997 Expedition.
Sponsored