First Name
Jaybird
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey guys, though I’ve always loved my bronco, the one thing that I’ve always despised about it (aside from the unreadable tach-but that’s another post) is the absence of a mechanical parking brake. I have the 7 speed, so every time I park the vehicle, I have anxiety: did the brake actually engage? Am I going to roll away? I set the brake and leave the car in gear just to be sure.

Now the big F-150 recall for what I presume is a similar electronic brake. Might come on while car is in motion apparently. A whole new thing way for an E brake to fail.

what do you all think? Do you wish, like I do, that Ford would cut pennies somewhere else and leave time tested safety equipment mechanical?

[EDIT: this is a post about whether people like or trust an electronic e brake, or if they wish the brake was mechanical. I’m not looking for advice on how to keep my Bronco from rolling, etc.]
Sponsored

Last edited:

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not sure why you have anxiety, you can hear the parking brake apply when you pull the switch (or at least I can, and I have crappy hearing thanks to serving with an artillery regiment lol)

Either way, park with it in 2nd or 3rd gear (apparently the compression isn't low enough to hold the vehicle in 1st, or so I believe I read here somewhere) and stop living your life worrying about what might never happen.

I too would have preferred a mechanical parking brake, but I think you're worrying about nothing, personally.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think in the F-150’s case, the axle while cycling can possibly cut the wires to the e-brake and short causing the unintended activation. It isn’t an issue with the brake themselves.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I had my '82 Ford F-250 that weighed over 7k pounds, I never left it in neutral; I didn't trust that parking break for, well, you-know-what.

I would add to Zombie's advice and say, put in neutral, engage the brake and check it's engaged, then put it in gear. So at least you're not tensioning the gear unnecessarily and have some peace of mind the break engaged.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Unless I missed something, the recall is only for the F150, so I'm not sure why anyone with a Bronco would worry about this recall.

Sponsored

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As much as I despise electronic parking brakes it's not difficult to tell if it's engaged or not.
Neutral, parking brake engaged, does the vehicle move?
Yes. Parking brake not engaged.
No. Parking brake is engaged.
Pretty simple stuff.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unless I missed something, the recall is only for the F150, so I'm not sure why anyone with a Bronco would worry about this recall.
Not knowing the details of exactly why the F150 has a problem, it’s reasonable to wonder if the same issue could affect the Bronco, is it not?

Ryslegit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not knowing the details of exactly why the F150 has a problem, it’s reasonable to wonder if the same issue could affect the Bronco, is it not?
I would assume since Ford already knows what the issue is, if they thought other models were affected, they would have added them to the recall.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

when engaged it’s shows “brake” in red on the dash display and you can hear it engage

snowcatxx87

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / 701SM / Tiger 900RP / Grom / Surron
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How do you guys live, you worry this much about everything? Another post just to make a post - this recall doesn't include Bronco.

OP
OP
First Name
Jaybird
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Guys, I think some of you misconstrue me. I manage the issue: I listen for the (very faint) sound of the brake engaging (hard to do if you’re parking in a noisy place) and look for the red light (hope it’s not lying), and I leave it in gear. It’s not that I can’t manage the issue, it’s that it shouldn’t be an issue. Every other manual transmission Ive ever had, you pull a handle or push a peddle and you FEEL the brake engage.

The comparison to the F150 problem: it’s not that I think it’s the same brake/platform etc, as I am not an idiot. It’s that an electronic E brake hold possible electronic gremlins that are not possible in a traditional E brake. The F150 recall proves this.

as for Ford’s methods of recalling vehicles, it is not pretty.

Last edited: