BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m pretty sure the Bronco is going to get an electronic parking or e-brake. Do we know where the controls are? On the dash or on the center console?

if it’s in the center console, I would be worried about my dog accidentally releasing the parking brake by stepping on the button. I think that’s what happened here:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37023/this-jeep-wrangler-is-completely-unrecognizable-after-falling-off-colorados-black-bear-pass

Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket manual parking brake. That is a resto mod I could get behind...

Ford Bronco Electronic parking brake? message-editor_1602521853560-a_crop0
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if the wrangler was an automatic with the rotary gear selector, it's a jeep FCA design flaw.
the same thing killed anton yelchin his jeep pinned him after failing to properly select 'park'

OP
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
if the wrangler was an automatic with the rotary gear selector, it's a jeep FCA design flaw.
the same thing killed anton yelchin his jeep pinned him after failing to properly select 'park'
Some of the news articles confirm this Jeep was a manual, so it wasn't the "failure to apply parking brake" scenario that accompanies the FCA rotary gear selector issues.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so it was left running in neutral?

Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

from long experience with stick shift land rovers, turn off the engine and leave in gear.
don't depend on the parking brake off road

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
so it was left running in neutral?
According to the driver, no. It wasn't running.

" The 22yr old male, who was the driver of the Jeep Wrangler Sport, told Deputies he had shut off the engine, applied the emergency brake and stepped out of the vehicle to help direct a driver behind him around a tight turn. "

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The electronic e-brake is on the console by the drivers left knee. Shouldn't be any danger of the dog hitting it.

From what I heard, the jeep was turned off and in gear with the e-brake off. It popped out of gear and started rolling.

Edit: From the comment above. I'm not surprised if the e-brake was on. In my Xterra, with a lift and large tires, the stock e-brake was almost useless.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m pretty sure the Bronco is going to get an electronic parking or e-brake. Do we know where the controls are? On the dash or on the center console?

if it’s in the center console, I would be worried about my dog accidentally releasing the parking brake by stepping on the button. I think that’s what happened here:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37023/this-jeep-wrangler-is-completely-unrecognizable-after-falling-off-colorados-black-bear-pass

Maybe someone will come up with an aftermarket manual parking brake. That is a resto mod I could get behind...

message-editor_1602521853560-a_crop0.jpg
I very well may be wrong, but I thought JK and JL Wranglers (I can't quite tell which this happens to be) have mechanical parking brakes. Note the lever between front seats.

Don't believe either ever offered the rotary automatic shifter, either (JL auto below).

Ford Bronco Electronic parking brake? 1602726449887

Marine2146

Badlands
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the problem shifter on the grand Cherokee , it was a return to center style shifter had to hold it forward until the transmission went into park. The fix was the transmission automatically goes into park if the driver door is opened. They have gone back to the standard shifter and they have a manual foot operated parking brake. Push once to set, push again to release.

68BC67D7-A01C-4216-B20F-223BE2669872.jpeg

HeritageRider

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Xterra Pro-4X 2014 Focus SE 5MT 1994 H-D
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd much rather have a manual handbrake lever. Handbrake turns on snow and ice (and dirt) can be very useful, fun, .... and can save your ass if the front end is plowing.
Sponsored