Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I’m in the Get off my Lawn and give me a mechanical backup I can trust club.

Would much prefer a hand brake.
Sponsored

LMF Bronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
While I respect your position, and the fact that some people may need a liason. I personally would rather speak to the techs, salty or not. You want salty, I spent 23 years serving in submarines, I can match salty and then some. 😆

Being a technician (albeit electronics and submarine stuff, its all similar) myself, I want to hear it right from my peers. I don't trust a 3rd party.

As far as the OP, I unfortunately missed out on a manual due to them being balanced out for the year so I have an automatic; but I for one do not like the electronic E brake in either my wife's sport or my OBX. I have had a couple times in the past where I had a brake line fail, and I have had to use the ebrake to stop. HTF do you do that with the electronic E brake?
Well, the corollary to you don't want to talk to the techs is that the techs don't want to talk to you either. It's their job to be fixing vehicles in the shop, it's my job to handle the customer and coordinate the repair. The reason I took offense to be labeled the 'technician's secretary' is that I have a ton of technical knowledge and experience regarding Ford repairs. If you want a technical explanation I will provide it. That's what I'm getting paid to do, and the techs are getting paid to perform work. Taking the technician's time to speak with a customer essentially means they don't get paid for that time.

Theoretically even if a brake line fails you should still have sufficient stopping power on regular brakes. If you don't then you're SOL because the e-brake isn't going to do it.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not sure why you have anxiety, you can hear the parking brake apply when you pull the switch (or at least I can, and I have crappy hearing thanks to serving with an artillery regiment lol)

Either way, park with it in 2nd or 3rd gear (apparently the compression isn't low enough to hold the vehicle in 1st, or so I believe I read here somewhere) and stop living your life worrying about what might never happen.

I too would have preferred a mechanical parking brake, but I think you're worrying about nothing, personally.
There's more holding power in 1 than 2, 3, 4 etc.

To move 100ft, first gear requires the engine to spin the most amount of times.

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some of these comments really show how lacking people are in any vehicle knowledge. Good lord, the F150 issue is caused by models with dual exhaust and the park brake wiring coming into contact with the exhaust, causing it to short and the brake to be applied. It has nothing to do with the design of the the e brake system and certainly nothing to do with the bronco. Idk how those of you old fogies praising mechanical e brakes seem to forget that they fail all the time and are pretty unreliable in anything old. Plenty of vehicles I've had or driven over the years had garbage e brakes due to the cable slacking, ratchet mechanism failing. Etc...

SoDak1623

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F150, 2022 Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's more holding power in 1 than 2, 3, 4 etc.

To move 100ft, first gear requires the engine to spin the most amount of times.
Yeah that other guy shouldn't be giving any advice if he doesn't understand gear reduction. The amount of misinformation spread on these forums in an age where you can look up everything about anything in seconds is amazing.

Sponsored

Navyicman

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Big Bend Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, the corollary to you don't want to talk to the techs is that the techs don't want to talk to you either. It's their job to be fixing vehicles in the shop, it's my job to handle the customer and coordinate the repair. The reason I took offense to be labeled the 'technician's secretary' is that I have a ton of technical knowledge and experience regarding Ford repairs. If you want a technical explanation I will provide it. That's what I'm getting paid to do, and the techs are getting paid to perform work. Taking the technician's time to speak with a customer essentially means they don't get paid for that time.
I can understand this. If you have the knowledge and can explain it, then that's fine. Typically in my line of work while I was in and now that I am out and building the same thing I served on, the liason just spews the party line and really cannot answer the deep technical questions.

Theoretically even if a brake line fails you should still have sufficient stopping power on regular brakes. If you don't then you're SOL because the e-brake isn't going to do it.
I know how an ABS solenoid block is supposed to work in normal situations, but I do not know if today's tech has a way to sense a catastrophic loss of pressure and shut that lines valve to preserve fluid to the remaining brakes. I know that the older master cylinders would move a plunger to limit flow on unequal pressures, but still, once the fluid is gone and the pedal is on the floor or unresponsive, then feathering the ebrake was the way to stop. Your right that the electric E brake won't cut it because you can't feather it.

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah that other guy shouldn't be giving any advice if he doesn't understand gear reduction. The amount of misinformation spread on these forums in an age where you can look up everything about anything in seconds is amazing.
And this surprises you?
Ford Bronco Bronco and the F-150 electronic E brake recall people-are-stupid

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So much flexing over a parking brake. Peak B6G…

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How do you guys live, you worry this much about everything? Another post just to make a post - this recall doesn't include Bronco.
If I had a MT, I would definitely worry.
But then again, I would also leave it in gear JIC so back to no worries.

LMF Bronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nevermind

Last edited:

Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I despise the electronic parking brake. It's probably the thing I hate most about the Bronco.

I can never remember whether to push or pull, so I have to read the stupid handle, and half the time it doesn't engage the first time even if I go the correct direction.

It's also just waiting for somebody to think it's the hood lever and rip it off.

whiteox

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm not sure why you have anxiety, you can hear the parking brake apply when you pull the switch (or at least I can, and I have crappy hearing thanks to serving with an artillery regiment lol)

Either way, park with it in 2nd or 3rd gear (apparently the compression isn't low enough to hold the vehicle in 1st, or so I believe I read here somewhere) and stop living your life worrying about what might never happen.

I too would have preferred a mechanical parking brake, but I think you're worrying about nothing, personally.
Agree zombie, thanks for the tip on 2nd/3rd gear. I usually leave it 1st and pull up the E-brake. The brake as designed make's the cockpit look cleaner and provides more room for a small space 4x4. A non-issue, but sometimes I do forget to pull it up. Tommy Bronc

Overcooked

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2D WT, 2021 BMW 540,2024 BMW X7 M60i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

E-brakes on my Subaru/Hyundai/Audi/Volvo/BMWs have been serving me well, I thought it's a pretty reliable design?

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Misleading title.
Sponsored