Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most electronic parking brakes require you have the brake depressed when engaging or disengaging. So unless your dog is a Great Dane with incredible dexterity, you're fine.
Sponsored

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Electronic brake control is to the left of the steering wheel and looks a lot like a hood release.

I'm going to miss being pissed off and pulling on the handbrake to see how many clicks I can get.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

from long experience with stick shift land rovers, turn off the engine and leave in gear.
don't depend on the parking brake off road
That just doesn't apply off road. I learned on an MT, and was always taught to turn off the engine and leave it in gear.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could never get my parking brake adjusted perfectly in my Wrangler. I'd get it to where it would hold well on an incline but the shoes would drag. I'd back it off to where the shoes would not drag anymore but the brake wouldn't hold the Jeep on a steep incline. But, it did work great for screwing around in the snow :D:

20171222_073605.jpg
I had the same problem on my 2014 JK... turns out when they changed my Parking Brake handle part (because of the popped rivet problem) the updates part *also* required a new cable of a slightly different length.

The documentation doesn’t list the new cable anywhere except as an asterisk under the new handle part, as a “oh, by the way, replace the cable with this new part number.”

My dealer spent days with different cables, all clearly slightly too long, but couldn’t figure out what the problem was. Multiple trips, multiple techs, a manager, and some guy literally screaming profanities and throwing tools in the service bay before someone discovered the issue. (Then the same guy starting swearing at FCA)

Now my parking brake works fine.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anton left his vehicle in neutral.
A mental error.
Not going to speak Ill of the dead.

----
As an owner of a 6M transmission JK Jeep with the hand brake, I'm very sketchy about a vehicle with an e-brake under the bottom LEFT dash.

AFAIK, you can't do the classic stop at a steeply inclined road crossing.

Put it in neutral, pull the e-brake, take your foot off the brake.

When it's time to cross:
Depress the clutch, put it in 1st. Switch your right hand the e-brake, slowly release the clutch when ready to go.
Then release the e-brake as the clutch grabs.

-----

Does the Electronic e-brake release ONLY as the vehicle moves forward?
The Bronco has hill park assist, so when driving a manual, if you come to a full stop, and take your foot off the brake, the brakes remained engaged until you start moving forward.

Works really well. No need to mess with the parking brake.

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

^This^ Safest is to latch them directly behind the driver seat with a dog seatbelt
Mine rides shotgun - harness, latched to seatbelt. Pops gas cap open CONSTANTLY.

IMG_20180610_144016.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
AFAIK, you can't do the classic stop at a steeply inclined road crossing.

Put it in neutral, pull the e-brake, take your foot off the brake.

When it's time to cross:
Depress the clutch, put it in 1st. Switch your right hand the e-brake, slowly release the clutch when ready to go.
Then release the e-brake as the clutch grabs.

-----
I don't get it. All the manual guys love to yell about how they can "really drive," and that autos are for ladies.

However, outside of my first six months driving as a teenager I've literally never needed to do this.

If you guys that are getting a manual need this or hill assist you're lying to yourself.

The Bronco has hill park assist, so when driving a manual, if you come to a full stop, and take your foot off the brake, the brakes remained engaged until you start moving forward.

I disabled this crap on my FiST the first day. Any manual driver worth a damn does not need it.

Might re-enable it when my kid starts driving, but probably not.

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I have the hill assist on my 16 focus. It only holds the brake for a few seconds. Then it releases.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

[...]

I disabled this crap on my FiST the first day. Any manual driver worth a damn does not need it.

Might re-enable it when my kid starts driving, but probably not.
In my experience there’s no shame in embracing technology.

I race a motorcycle that doesn’t even have a tachometer, but that doesn’t make me worth any more damns than someone who does use one.

The Bronco comes with it. If you don’t want it, cool. It’s definitely not necessary.

But it’s totally okay to use or want it. No shame in that.

Last edited:

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the hill assist on my 16 focus. It only holds the brake for a few seconds. Then it releases.
Yeah, most hold it long enough to engage the clutch normally but release eventually... our BMW (and Mini before that) do it this way.

Sponsored

Stitches1974

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The JK hand-lever parking brake is not very reliable. Mine broke on the boat ramp - fortunately while I was still in the driver’s seat. The replacement lever and spring ratchet was dodgy for years. I had to pump it up and down to get it to ratchet and then be careful to pull it where it would hold the Jeep but not pop the ratchet back to no tension. Finally I read that spraying brake fluid helps - which it does eliminate most of the tension pop incidents.

Nice to have a handbrake but not a sucky one like the Jeep JKs.
Never had an issue with my 2015 JKU parking brake and I parked on inclines all the time.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That just doesn't apply off road. I learned on an MT, and was always taught to turn off the engine and leave it in gear.
I think you’re agreeing with my statement.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Does the Electronic e-brake release ONLY as the vehicle moves forward?

Depends on the manufacturer. I was a Honda tech for years, e-parking brake would disengage depending on Load, accelerator pedal position A and B, throttle body position, brake pedal position, ABS unit, I’m sure a couple more. Any failure in any of those systems the electronic parking brake/ Hill Start Assist wouldn’t do anything and You’d get a DTC. To me it would disengage just in time with normal driving. Never felt slow or fast, just right. I’ve only driven Honda’s with manual trans and hill start assist. If I driven other manufacturers or ford I just don’t remember so I’ll assume it functioned the same way ?
On my wife’s Audi it disengages when you go and reengages when you stop again. I am not sure what the triggers are, but at least it is not a PITA.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Never had an issue with my 2015 JKU parking brake and I parked on inclines all the time.
It was pretty solid for the first two or three years on mine. Then the problems started. Maybe they fixed it by 2015. Mine is a 2008.

As for the Bronco: I prefer an old skool handbrake, but maybe the electronic one will be less of a hassle for me. I do wish the control was accessible on the right “control hand” side, rather than the left “steer hand” side.

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
JK parking brakes are junk! If you accidentally drive with it on for even just a few feet it's never the same. These Jeeps burn through rear brakes, and every time you change rear rotors the parking brake is always in the way so it needs to be backed off, then the adjustment hole is conveniently placed BEHIND the caliper so to re-adjust you basically need to pull the brakes apart just to get access to the little opening. It will feel proper with no wheels on, but bolt everything back together and it doesn't hold. I went without a functioning e-brake for 4 years and in that time it seized up and had to replace the whole parking brake assembly. I use it every day now just to keep it functioning and legal for inspections. Never had so many hangups with parking brakes as I have with my JK. Ugh

?that's for you JK parking brake
Sponsored