Sponsored

Bronco Badlands on 40s -- anyone else planning for this?

targas

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I will be going 40's as well, my JK is on 40's.

However, I will not be doing it using the stock components nor stock gearing.
Sponsored

RunninRiot

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s been said already but the shop I work for echoes what others are hearing and thinking: if you want 40s and to wheel, your Bronco is essentially becoming a project vehicle - stripping out most of the components and going solid axle is highly likely. The sweet spot seems to be maximizing articulation with 35s for the most capable, aggressive yet balanced off-roading. 37s are an option but snaps and crackles and pops are more likely so you better have the coin to drag your rig off the mountain and start replacing things.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the reply. Why do you say I'll need to replace the rear axle and front suspension? I got rid of my Dana 35 on my TJ and went to a Ford 8.8 axle but that's because the Dana 35 is trash, a ticking time bomb. The Dana 30 up front may stay, those do okay in the Jeep world. I wheel pretty hard and don't have any problem with it, and that's the axle that came with the Jeep when it was born... and it had 31" tires on it at that time. It has 35s now and could accomodate 37s without an axle upgrade. So I'm surprised at the idea that axles, diffs, etc. wouldn't be able to accomodate a move to 40s on the Bronco. In my mind (and I may very well be wrong) I'm thinking just suspension, not any other upgrades, to accomodate the 40s.
35's are about at the recommended limit for Dana 44s which are roughly the old school equivalent to the M210 and M220 in the Rubicons and Squatch Broncos. Yeah, some people have managed to make them live with 37's. I can't imagine how'd you'd not be constantly breaking axles with 40's if you wheel at all.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That’s the beauty of easily removable fenders! Just take them off, slap the 40s on and wheel it until it breaks, then you will KNOW what needs to be upgraded! You might be surprised!:LOL:

OP
OP
JeepersCreepers

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks everyone. After a couple of more discussions this truly is a daunting challenge... in the Jeep world 40s are a relatively simple affair, but that's the advantage of such a simple vehicle with a solid front axle. Everything is pretty easy to swap out. Not so for the Bronco.

I *may* capitulate in the early going and just stick with 37s.

Thanks again for all the insight, it's all been carefully read, and I appreciate it all.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I'm not sure why I'd need to upgrade the differentials. Why do you suggest that is necessary? If they're strong enough for 35s, 40s shouldn't be a big stretch.
Not sure if you're serious, and no offence meant if you are, but 40" tires will work fine around town but you'll break D44 parts on difficult trails.

Odd Ball

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD Vett Mustang Jag 911 (2)450SLs VWcab Blzr Fiat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hello all,

I went to the 4x4 shop that has worked on my Jeep since I had it and informed them that as soon as my Bronco arrives, ideally no later than next summer (I reserved my Bronco at 5am, the morning after the launch event) that I want to immediately get it up on 40s. My goal is to have one of the first Broncos out there on 40s

Anyone else planning this and thinking about some of the challenges, starting with how to order their Bronco?

If I'm going right to 40s, I'm wondering if I will NEED the Sasquatch package. It would be nice to knock the price down $2500 or so and have that money directly available for the 40s. But my concern is I'll want the 4.7 gear ratio for the bigger tires, and I don't think (?) I can configure that way, although I've run through the fairly-flawed build and price tool on ford.com many times and it's left me scratching my head.

Also, what will be the value of brand new Ford wheels and 35" tires? I'm wondering if a lot of other Bronco owners are going to want to upgrade tires right away, like me, so maybe a glut of them will be on the market.

Issue two is the spare tire... a possible delete scenario. I'm not sure what the aftermarket is going to look like for tire carriers right when the Bronco is launched. I could have the Jeep shop custom fab a tire carrier for me, but I'm not sure I want to go to that trouble and expense because I've got to assume that they'll be available soon (maybe even at launch, who knows, which would make this a moot point.)

Anyway... anyone else thinking about this who might have some insight?

Thanks...
Don’t give in so quick. I’m also wanting 40s, as does my son who also ordered a Bronco. You sound like you have bigger balls and a bigger wallet than me, but I’m along for the ride. I’ll invest in this project. I wanna follow your build. Not claiming to wheel like you, but I sure wanna try.
Sponsored