Sponsored

Bronco cannot start after ForScan changes (Issue Resolved)

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hope ForScan experts can help me out. My Badlands 2.7 4-door was built on 3/3, delivered 3 weeks ago. I used ForScan to disable double honk and auto start/stop, I made changes in BdyCM, not the "AS BUILT format". I tested and it worked fine right after I made the changes. Several hours later when I tried to start the vehicle, I received the following messages on dashboard and it won't start:
Blind Spot System Fault
Cross Traffic System Fault
Check 4x4
Service Vehicle Soon
Pre-Collision Assist Not Available
Service AdvanceTrac
Engine Coolant Over Temperature
Park Aid Fault

I tried to reset BdyCM (AS BUILT format) and used the module values from MotorCraftService. It seemed reset worked because the double honk and auto start/stop values are changed back to default. After the reset, all the messages still show on dashboard. What should I do next? What other modules do I need to reset?

I have made an appointment with dealer and it is two weeks out. Right now my Bronco won't start because of all these error messages. I am hoping to figure something out before I tow the vehicle to dealer.
Thanks in advance.
Make sure you actually tell the dealer what you were messing around with if/when you go in so the poor tech isnā€™t chasing their tail. I know the typical response would be donā€™t tell them anything, but if you did end up causing it (good chance you did not, weā€™ve all used Forscan with great success) they will be able to tell by an invalid checksum (depending on how it was coded), and the amount of key cycles the modules show and any diagnostic time would revert back to customer pay. Could just advise them you had a couple features disabled with as built data, tell them what features those were and if you want to lie about anything, lie and tell them it was done with an IDS, which is what the dealers use. Just my opinion obviously as someone thatā€™s had to chase self inflicted wounds on other folks cars that ā€œforgotā€ they did XYZ until you discover it for yourself.
Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The profile error tells you the adapter wasnā€™t connecting properly. Read the support info in your particular adapter and see if they recommend any particular settings in Forscan for their adapter.

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Check that your three 8mm bolts that hold your fuse box connections are tight. And check your battery cable connections are tight.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This all smells like a coincidence and probably not related to forscan. Agree with above a potential ground issue or loose connector.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Here:

https://www.obdlink.com/support/ex/

Concentrate FIRST on making sure your computer and Forscan is recognizing the adapter. I've seen that really sidetrack people with Forscan.

Once you get it connected, worst case - you simply load your original as built.

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

ALSO - MAKE SURE your battery voltage is good. I've seen that mess with people as well.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This whole thread is making me realize why I will never use forscan.
FWIW I've been using Forscan for over 5 years. A friend of mine tried a bunch of different changes on his brand new Mustang GT. All kinds of warning lights. He never backed anything up. I downloaded his original as built from Motorcraft (available online) hooked up, loaded the original file, cycled the ignition - done.

Personally I think this entire issue is caused by the computer, and thus Forscan, not communicating correctly with the OBD device.

OP

Get on amazon and order another OBD adapter. Cheap and will get it in a day or two. I would do that BEFORE EVER taking it to the dealer. All they will do is hook it to IDS and load the original as built - and odds are they might charge you time / labor for your trouble.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This whole thread is making me realize why I will never use forscan.
I would just recommend that you use it with someone who has experience using it. Forscan works great (and I even made mistakes along the way) but I have been messing with programmable engine management for years and also have decades of programming experience.

Sponsored
OP
OP

raymariner

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
FWIW I've been using Forscan for over 5 years. A friend of mine tried a bunch of different changes on his brand new Mustang GT. All kinds of warning lights. He never backed anything up. I downloaded his original as built from Motorcraft (available online) hooked up, loaded the original file, cycled the ignition - done.

Personally I think this entire issue is caused by the computer, and thus Forscan, not communicating correctly with the OBD device.

OP

Get on amazon and order another OBD adapter. Cheap and will get it in a day or two. I would do that BEFORE EVER taking it to the dealer. All they will do is hook it to IDS and load the original as built - and odds are they might charge you time / labor for your trouble.
Thanks for the tips. Actually I had OBDLink MX (bluetooth version) I bought in 2017, and I thought it might be old for this new vehicle, so I ordered OBDLink EX(usb version) from Amazon last night and I received it this morning and I have been using this usb one today. I appreciate your encouragement and I will continue trying, I have two weeks before the dealer appointment ;) .

OP
OP

raymariner

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would just recommend that you use it with someone who has experience using it. Forscan works great (and I even made mistakes along the way) but I have been messing with programmable engine management for years and also have decades of programming experience.
Thanks for the tip. I will search for an expert in Utah :)

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I use OBDLink EX, the USB version.
Thatā€™s the one I use. Iā€™m thinking this isnā€™t forscan issue but a grounding issue. Nothing you did should of caused these problems.

donā€™t fret it much. If it is forscan issue then the dealer will just reflash it. If some other issue then itā€™ll be fixed for free.

Last edited:

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did run backup before I started changing. I imagine it would be the same .ab file I downloaded from MotroCraftService.
What exactly had you think was a valid assumption?

When you back the stuff up. You then restore the same stuff. If you don't do that and just use other images you risk who knows what. My guess is the factory image comes with a lot of things not configured that then need to get configured. You know the module activation that happens, that's when all that stuff gets programmed uniquely for your vehicle configuration.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What exactly had you think was a valid assumption?

When you back the stuff up. You then restore the same stuff. If you don't do that and just use other images you risk who knows what. My guess is the factory image comes with a lot of things not configured that then need to get configured. You know the module activation that happens, that's when all that stuff gets programmed uniquely for your vehicle configuration.
Nope.
The Asbuilt config file that you download from Motorcraft (using your VIN) is the EXACT same data a Ford Dealer would use with IDS to restore configuration. So if it's wrong, then no Ford dealer could fix it either.

This isn't opinion. I've witnessed this restore process with several F150s, more than a few Mustangs, a couple of Shelbys etc.
Sponsored