Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, we have all heard about the theory that GVWR is the reason certain builds cannot get certain accessories (i.e. roof racks on 4 dr. Sasquatch).

How much of a concern is this going to be for the casual DD? For example, if I get a BD with the 2.7, am I going to be able to safely put my family in it and go camping? Is the curb weight going to be that close to the GVWR that the added weight of the bumpers, sliders, and bash plate, plus my family a gear going to be too much?

On the one hand, it'd be hard to imagine Ford designing a vehicle that couldn't fulfill the basic functions of a passenger vehicle. On the other hand, people on this forum got me shook.

I love the BD trim and the MGV seats are money for me with my animal like kids, but if I can't load em in and take em out to the wild, this truck wouldn't be useful for me.
Sponsored

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, we have all heard about the theory that GVWR is the reason certain builds cannot get certain accessories (i.e. roof racks on 4 dr. Sasquatch).

How much of a concern is this going to be for the casual DD? For example, if I get a BD with the 2.7, am I going to be able to safely put my family in it and go camping? Is the curb weight going to be that close to the GVWR that the added weight of the bumpers, sliders, and bash plate, plus my family a gear going to be too much?

On the one hand, it'd be hard to imagine Ford designing a vehicle that couldn't fulfill the basic functions of a passenger vehicle. On the other hand, people on this forum got me shook.

I love the BD trim and the MGV seats are money for me with my animal like kids, but if I can't load em in and take em out to the wild, this truck wouldn't be useful for me.
The gvrw issues are due to staying in a midsize suv class. They cannot compete with wrangler and be best in class if they are weighted out. The vehicle is more than capable but marginalized on paper to fit. Just like hd tricks are restricted on paper for dot classification. You will be fine daily driving this vehicle. Crash tests and epa will be out sometime next year. They cannot sell a vehicle in June without the proper government rated tests being done.

OP
OP
Skeletor

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The gvrw issues are due to staying in a midsize suv class. They cannot compete with wrangler and be best in class if they are weighted out. The vehicle is more than capable but marginalized on paper to fit. Just like hd tricks are restricted on paper for dot classification. You will be fine daily driving this vehicle. Crash tests and epa will be out sometime next year. They cannot sell a vehicle in June without the proper government rated tests being done.
I see. It'd be hard to imagine Ford would design a vehicle that couldn't safely transport 4 adults plus their gear.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep I agree. A lot has to due with restriction & class as a manufacture in which they must stay within numerous guidelines & regulations. Ford even states that accessories can be added at the dealer, they just can't ship the vehicle out from the plant with them installed & stay compliant in the class.

OP
OP
Skeletor

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep I agree. A lot has to due with restriction & class as a manufacture in which they must stay within numerous guidelines & regulations. Ford even states that accessories can be added at the dealer, they just can't ship the vehicle out from the plant with them installed & stay compliant in the class.

Ahh. Ok. That makes sense. So it'd would be an overloading or safety issue. Like, I'm going to be rolling down the road, fully loaded, and my tires are going to blow out or a shock is just going to collapse?

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ahh. Ok. That makes sense. So it'd would be an overloading or safety issue. Like, I'm going to be rolling down the road, fully loaded, and my tires are going to blow out or a shock is just going to collapse?
Yep nothing to worry about ;)

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Something else, besides GVWR is going on. For example, you can't add Paint Protection Film or roof rails to a Badlands 4 door with 2.7 engine. But you CAN Sasquatch it.

That can't possibly be a GVWR issue.

But it's clearly an issue - we just don't know WHY. (n)

OP
OP
Skeletor

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Something else, besides GVWR is going on. For example, you can't add Paint Protection Film or roof rails to a Badlands 4 door with 2.7 engine. But you CAN Sasquatch it.

That can't possibly be a GVWR issue.

But it's clearly an issue - we just don't know WHY. (n)

Yeah the PPF can't possibly have anything to do with GVWR.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say maybe it has to do with the size or dimensions of the Bronco. Maybe they are planning to buy the sheets of PPF film in certain precut shapes/sizes to simplify the manufacturing process and the BL dimensions don't fall into that size? ?

dragon6172

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah the PPF can't possibly have anything to do with GVWR.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say maybe it has to do with the size or dimensions of the Bronco. Maybe they are planning to buy the sheets of PPF film in certain precut shapes/sizes to simplify the manufacturing process and the BL dimensions don't fall into that size? ?
I dont think so. The PPF according to B&P description is:
"Three-piece kit covers the leading edge of the hood and front fenders".

Those parts would be the same dimensions for 2dr, 4dr, 2.3, 2.7, Squatch, BB, BL, etc, etc.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just wait till your phone call to order in December. If they don't have answers to these simple questions (200 accessories, mansquatch, ppf on 2.7, etc) then obviously it's too early to order because all their ducks aren't just not in a row, some of them are crossing the road to snort rag weed in the crack pond. Or you can order what they let you order, and hopefully you can make changes as more options become available before they schedule your bills and assign you a vin number

Sponsored

Cmeyers186

First Edition
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Very helpful, thanks.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I can't help but laugh at all those that so confidently state that the bronco's GVWR is artificially lowered. It may be true, partially true or completely incorrect. But in reality you have absolutely no idea if what you say is true. Look at any raptor, wrangler or power wagon and you have a very similar low GVWR and/or payload issues, so why is the bronco going to be magically different?

Also, even if it is artificially lowered then its still poor form that Ford pushes all the liability on the buyer and doesn't clearly state the safe capability.

Does anyone really care if it's in the same class as a Jeep Wrangler on paper? Build an awesome vehicle with clear capability and be honest and you will earn my business regardless of what Jeep does.
Sponsored