Sponsored

Bronco interior smell like rotten meat?!?

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Take it off and wash it.... simple
Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Zstngz

Base
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302, Datsun Z, Merc E350
Your Bronco Model
Base
This summer there has been a bad smell and I have pinpointed it to the seat belt and all of that column. Not sure if it leaked or something got in and died? Itā€™s been here for months now. Usually something that dies, the smell goes away? I pulled it apart and found it is really bad on the seatbelt. The dealer said itā€™s not a ā€œdeadā€ smell but they cannot figure it out. Smells like an old fishing tackle box with the old rubber worms. The service manager suggested it may be the materials, lubricants or adhesive breaking down causing the smell. Anyone else had this issue? If so howā€™d you fix it?
I had the same experience twice. It went away after driving with glass down. I still can't figure where that shit smell comes from. Happened only twice when I parked in the sun for a couple of hours. I know it's not from the car wash because I pass it through regularly and nothing.

Mkass

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This summer there has been a bad smell and I have pinpointed it to the seat belt and all of that column. Not sure if it leaked or something got in and died? Itā€™s been here for months now. Usually something that dies, the smell goes away? I pulled it apart and found it is really bad on the seatbelt. The dealer said itā€™s not a ā€œdeadā€ smell but they cannot figure it out. Smells like an old fishing tackle box with the old rubber worms. The service manager suggested it may be the materials, lubricants or adhesive breaking down causing the smell. Anyone else had this issue? If so howā€™d you fix it?
Had the something happen to me two years ago with a new car. I through everything at but the kitchen sink. nothing seems to work, told a friend of mine and he brought over a O-zone machine 20 minutes later no more seem. I ended up buying one from amazon for 100.00. only draw back is the car will smell like chorine for a few days. o-zone machine is not a toy i would watch a you tube video before using. good luck

Sponsored

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a similar issue I posted in a thread a few threads up. Not rotten but doesnā€™t smell right. Like some food got left inside somewhere. Never been wet. Is perfectly clean. 9 months old and like 2500 miles and has smelled since early on. It is worse in the heat with windows up but most smells would be I guess. Iā€™ll check cabin filter but Iā€™m at a loss personally.

OP
OP

Tex2022

Black Diamond
First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a similar issue I posted in a thread a few threads up. Not rotten but doesnā€™t smell right. Like some food got left inside somewhere. Never been wet. Is perfectly clean. 9 months old and like 2500 miles and has smelled since early on. It is worse in the heat with windows up but most smells would be I guess. Iā€™ll check cabin filter but Iā€™m at a loss personally.
The dealership is going to look at it next week. They donā€™t think itā€™s rotten meat but some plastics,rubbers,adhesives or something breaking down. Itā€™s only in 1 spot from the top of the cloth top all the way down that columnā€¦ the seatbelt happens to smell the worst but all pieces of the plastic I took off, wiring harness and everything has the same smell?! It has to be something from the car because as soon as summer got here it started stinking and the longer and hotter in TX it gets the more it smells. It didnā€™t smell in winter or spring? Hoping itā€™s a simple fix but I donā€™t think itā€™s food or from water

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haven't noticed anything on mine. The only horrible smelling plastic I know about are plastics that use butyric acid as a component.

Have you ever smelled the handle of an old plastic screwdriver and thought it smelled like vomit? Well, it's because of butyric acid. The same thing that makes parmesan cheese smell a bit like vomit as well.

Can it be something like that? Rotting meat smell is pretty distinctive and repulsive to us as we've evolved over thousands of years to avoid it so it doesn't get us sick. So it's hard to confuse rotting meat smell for anything else. Maybe there's a dead mouse somewhere?

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have only had my Bronco a month, but no bad smell like you mention. Other than off-gassing of materials, the "new car smell" that some people like, but I hate. So every hot day I leave the windows open to try and speed up the off-gassing.

7sKnuckledragger

Heritage
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ, 1978 K5, 2007.5 Ram 2500, 2022 F150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Iā€™m guessing itā€™s the same stank ā€œcraftsmanā€ screw drivers give off. Or any polymer handle tool in the summer heat. Kind of a mix between feet/butt and dead. Very unusual but unforgettable. And itā€™s just a polymers stink.

Sponsored

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had this mouse slip under the cover of rear seat hinge. it originated from used wheels I bought that were in boxes. I was still getting smell couple weeks ago even though the mess was cleaned 2 months ago.

IMG_4525.jpeg

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just over a year of ownership in and mine still smells new inside. Mind you there's never been food eaten in it but also mine is probably one of the least driven Broncos on 6G at under 2250 miles and 600 of those was the drive home from delivery.

OP
OP

Tex2022

Black Diamond
First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Iā€™m guessing itā€™s the same stank ā€œcraftsmanā€ screw drivers give off. Or any polymer handle tool in the summer heat. Kind of a mix between feet/butt and dead. Very unusual but unforgettable. And itā€™s just a polymers stink.
This may be it because it reminds of of an old tacklebox with rubber worms. Itā€™s worse when parked in the sun. The dealer said it does not smell like rotten meat but it does have a bad smell? The plastic smells like it, the seatbelt smells like it. Maybe sour milk/vomit sounds about right. I will research the rubber smell

Erniep27

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Going on 11 Months with Badlands. I can sometimes get hits of new car sell šŸ˜… Did the smell ever go away ?
Sponsored