Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Since the Bronco is produced along side the Ranger is it fair to think of Ford wanting to prioritize the Ranger considering truck sales are generally a massive market vs the off road market? We’ve seen them pinch buyers into higher trims/prices and removed the budget Base option.
I ordered a Bronco at the initial ability. After waiting a year (still no Bronco) I also ordered a Ranger Tremor. It came in 3 months. Why? No production delay issues, no MIC set back, other Bronco production issues, parts availability. I was fully aware of Ranger production and planned Bronco production. It was 70% Bronco and 30% Ranger as I recall...as far as what the factory planned to produce. In no way do I believe that Ford prioritized the Ranger over the Bronco. They have always wanted to get Broncos built and on the road.
Why is the market share down and not growing? Who really knows. Jeep does have the strongest name recognition and has not been plagued with a few of the major issues that the Bronco has. The MIC top alone is of great concern to me as an owner and possibly to potential buyers.
Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do wonder why 4Runner sales were so strong with the redesign release just around the corner though, wonder if the faithful know something we don't?
It's because Toyota nuts are weird. They value reliability over tech. Based on Toyota's recent trends, the new one will finally be bought into this century but will also lose a lot of reliability.

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Didn't read every post but I do notice most if any don't point to the real issue. The economy sucks. Inflations rates are moving up at a scary rate and the government is printing and speccing money at an even more absurd rate than normal. People are scared and the upcoming elections is laughable no matter which side of the aisle you are on or even on no side of the aisle like myself.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It's because Toyota nuts are weird. They value reliability over tech. Based on Toyota's recent trends, the new one will finally be bought into this century but will also lose a lot of reliability.
Yep, on my FJC I have a BT adapter that I connect to the aux in for Pandora radio and I have a phone mount for Google maps if needed, the rest I'm good without! Oh, I can still back in to a parking spot better in the FJC than with the Bronco with all the backup aids!

drbandkgb

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
allterrainnation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco - 2024 Mustang GT performance
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think this is too much ado about nothing. Q1 comparisons are never comparable. Too many outside variables to determine a real trend. Like model year end dates, production pushes, PY sell off, rate fluctuations, and so on.

There needs to be 3 or 4 quarters of data to show a buyer's trend in auto sales. Anything else is marketing hype. "This quarter my honker is bigger than your's!"

And I think the 4Runner still feels like a tin box on wheels off-road. But some people like that and it's rear lap splasher cup holders.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Also, I don't think anybody really expected Bronco to take over the market that Jeep created, plus the 4Runner is a much better daily and family vehicle.
When the Bronco was first rumored, leaked, revealed, etc. many of us hoped the Bronco would in fact "take over the market that Jeep created". Ford had everything going for them, a heritage name plate, a rabid fan base and a clean sheet design. Better IFS ride, check, more modern size and features, check, better reliability than heritage Jeep, oh well, we got two out of three anyway.
Some of us value reliability, regardless of brand.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford produced ~20k less Broncos in Q4 2023 when compared to Q4 2022. Of course they sold less Broncos the following quarter.
So you're saying the ultra reliable, ultra faithful, "Ford Authority" is not so authoritative after all.

Sponsored

Nc211

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLS450 (2020) / Mercedes E350 (2014)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
These Broncos are unique in all aspects. No way they become a long term staple of Ford in their current form, just too unique. Which is why I’m fine with writing a decent sized check in a few weeks for when mine arrives at my dealership. The day will most definitely come when this generation of Bronco is highly coveted for it’s uniqueness and lovability.

I really don’t understand why it’s compared to a 4Runner? That’s a completely different vehicle if you ask me. Just because it’s capable off road, in my opinion doesn’t mean it’s a competitor to a convertible SUV like the Wrangler or Bronco. If I wanted a quiet and smooth riding SUV, neither the Bronco or Wrangler would be on my list of consideration in general.

i’d be curious what the market shares were back in the G5 days of the Bronco when compared to the 4Runner and CJ’s too, especially the Bronco II.

I’m 100% in favor of Ford NOT making these Bronco’s super popular and #1 market share. Keep them in limited numbers and unique!

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really don’t understand why it’s compared to a 4Runner? That’s a completely different vehicle if you ask me.

i’d be curious what the market shares were back in the G5 days of the Bronco when compared to the 4Runner and CJ’s too, especially the Bronco II.
Agreed, they aren't comparable and IDK why people are trying so hard to make a connection. No 2dr, no manual, no front locker, no removable top. The real story here is Bronco has a 41% share and Wrangler has a 59%.

The funny thing is if you go back to gen 4 ish, the Bronco and 4Runner were far more similar.

Nc211

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLS450 (2020) / Mercedes E350 (2014)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I remember when you could take the real shell off the 4Runner too! Damn I’m old…

me personally, if I didnt want the convertible aspect, then I seriously doubt I would even consider either the Wrangler or the Bronco in general. If a buyer isn’t after that specific feature in their SUV, then they should not buy either one and then complain about how noisy it is on the highway. Life’s too short, and every manufacturer out there has a nice SUV, from the stupid (Lamborghini) to the milk toast (Subaru).
I’m coming from years if Mercedes, and to be perfectly honest, the rough edges of the Bronco is EXACTLY why I picked it as my next vehicle. Tired of driving libraries. Only one has a twin turbo V6, which will become more rare to have over these next several years…

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m two years in (15K miles) with my ‘22 Badlands Mansquatch and I plan on keeping it a long time. But that’s because it’s my toy, while my ‘13 Land Cruiser with 178K miles is my daily driver.

With that said, Ford went cheap on the steering, interior and instrumentation.

I have ordered the Severe Duty Sterring upgrade. I recognize that it’s coming on the Badlands and Wildtrack now, but it should be coming on all models.
NOBODY, wants to worry about popping a tie rod and the bad, but accurate, press is out there. Ford had to know that people would put bigger tires on their rigs and the steering components would suffer.

The plastics in the interior, as well as the mirror housing and fender flares screams CHEAP. It does not convey ruggedness or well-made, in the least.

The instrumentation is abysmal. The rig is delightfully retro, but the dash instrumentation resembles something from an 80’s video game.

My final qualm concerns the electronic versus mechanical nature of so much of the equipment. I get it…it’s the 21st century. But if you’re gonna load up an off-roading rig with tons of electronic goodies, make sure they don’t break by just driving down a city street. I could care less about Hill Braking Assist and Pre-Collision Assist, but when that crap fails for no good reason, it’s not confidence inspiring. I purposely didn’t order the mid, high or lux packages because I didn’t want a slew of gizmos to break. And get rid of the electronic parking brake and put a proper mechanical brake handle on the console.

Ford has built a cool-looking, fun vehicle that is very driveable and quite capable off-road. But a Toyota, and even a Jeep, feels constructed out of much higher quality materials. And Toyota’s dependability is without question, as is Jeep’s off-road reputation.

I haven’t touched on all of my gripes, but the bottom line is Ford needs to build a better, more reliable vehicle that feels and looks rugged, without looking cheap.
Sponsored