Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My OBX has the 2.3L auto and I recently made a 317 mile trip from the Atlanta area to Lexington, KY. I filled up with premium for the trip up and got 25.5 mpg cruising at 72 on the interstate. I ran the rest of the tank out while in Lex and then filled up a nearly empty tank for the trip back with regular. I got 23.2 on the ride back, again cruising at 72 mph. I used Eco mode on the interstate both ways and, as I usually do, used the hell out of the cruise control (adaptive cruise). Gotta tell you, I was pretty damn impressed, particularly in light of the mountains coming through Tennessee.

So far Iā€™ve been averaging around 20 mpg around town, but I can tell a difference depending on how I drive. I rarely, if ever, use Eco mode around town, just donā€™t have the patience with it! Hell, Iā€™m proud of myself for not switching into Sport every time I get in! šŸ˜„ Coming from a 2014 FJ Cruise getting 17 mpg (down hill with a tail wind šŸ˜œ) Iā€™m pretty damn happy.

BTW, these numbers are based on the Broncoā€™s computer, not calculated by hand. Iā€™ll do that for next trip to see if thereā€™s any significant differences.
Sponsored

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can't get 18 combined and I drive like I want to save every sip of gas
So says the guy who passed me to get to get to the stoplight first. I don't know how you drive, but I have yet to see a Jeep driver not driving like their attempting to break gas consumption records. Its no wonder they report far less than ratings.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I drive a Mazda6, of course its going to get better mileage!
haha yeah should have clarified that statement. I had a mazda6, before my bronco. When I would fill it with premium instead of 89 I noticed 2-4 mpg better per tank. So from my limited experience, turbo engines really do like premium gas lol

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So says the guy who passed me to get to get to the stoplight first. I don't know how you drive, but I have yet to see a Jeep driver not driving like their attempting to break gas consumption records. Its no wonder they report far less than ratings.
naw everyone rides my ass until I get up to the speed limit

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My OBX has the 2.3L auto and I recently made a 317 mile trip from the Atlanta area to Lexington, KY. I filled up with premium for the trip up and got 25.5 mpg cruising at 72 on the interstate. I ran the rest of the tank out while in Lex and then filled up a nearly empty tank for the trip back with regular. I got 23.2 on the ride back, again cruising at 72 mph. I used Eco mode on the interstate both ways and, as I usually do, used the hell out of the cruise control (adaptive cruise). Gotta tell you, I was pretty damn impressed, particularly in light of the mountains coming through Tennessee.

So far Iā€™ve been averaging around 20 mpg around town, but I can tell a difference depending on how I drive. I rarely, if ever, use Eco mode around town, just donā€™t have the patience with it! Hell, Iā€™m proud of myself for not switching into Sport every time I get in! šŸ˜„ Coming from a 2014 FJ Cruise getting 17 mpg (down hill with a tail wind šŸ˜œ) Iā€™m pretty damn happy.

BTW, these numbers are based on the Broncoā€™s computer, not calculated by hand. Iā€™ll do that for next trip to see if thereā€™s any significant differences.
that's impressive, guess I'm lowering my badland to get that sweet OBX aerodynamics

Sponsored
OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base

Driving style is relative. I wonder how many of these guys claiming to be driving for mileage are "really" driving for mileage? I have owned lots of vehicles and never failed to make ratings and usually beat them. I owned a 1999 Dodge Dakota rated for 16/21 MPG, Consumer Reports claimed they only got 10 MPG combined! I wrote them a letter offering to do a ride along in their vehicle to verify this result. They refused, and said their values must be correct because they don't accept advertising. Okay....

nomnom

Base
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Basequatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

base sas 2.3L 4 door here, getting 22-23mpg combined at 6,000ft elevation, with mountain driving up to 10,000ft.

I usually cruise about 5-7mph over speed limit with occasional passing on 2 lane roads.

Majority of the time I am one of the slower cars on the road though, especially from a stop. Cars just seem to pull away so fast.

edit: I don't ever bother with eco mode, i just leave it in normal and it does fine. Also, most of these miles are 2H (check to make sure you are too) and only in 4A with snow/no pavement showing, 4H in 1-2inch+ snow.

Last edited:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What did you think would happen ... Sasquatch is rated 17/17! This is about comparing to similar vehicles with similar capabilities.
You have a 392 on your list ... You think that's comparable to a 2.3 base Bronco, but a badsquatch isn't ???

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thread number three bazillion, two hundred and forty nine gazillion, seventy seven jillion, eight hundred and three about the exact same thing

Berwolf

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3L MT badlands four door and I just checked, best I have gotten is 19mpg, worst is 12.9 mpg!!! Currently sitting at 15.8mpg lifetime (10k miles).

I am impressed at how low it can go. I tried to get single digits in a Chevrolet SS back in the day and the worst I could do was 14mpg.

Sponsored
OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
that's impressive, guess I'm lowering my badland to get that sweet OBX aerodynamics
Badlands has the lowest ratings of all the Broncos, its the price to pay for the hard core off-road hardware. Even 33" wheels are big and heavy, couple that with the low gear ratio of the locking diff and its not a recipe for mileage. I'm going with Base because my idea of off roading is getting out of the ski area parking lot on a snowy day, and 20/22 while not great is not a huge difference to most any AWD SUV. Call it a mall crawler if you like, works for me.

Due51

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't reset the Avg MPG since we took delivery 18 days/675miles ago, but combined city (mostly)/highway, our dash indicates 15.6mpg.

NaturalFlorida

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 4Runner SR-5 / 7" lift / 5.29 Gears / Lockers
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our 2006 H2 was 10 to 12 mpg

Our 2008 GL550 was 12 to 14 mpg

Our 2001 7.3 L 4x4 SuperCrew Dually was 16 mpg

Our boat gets 1.6 to 1.9 mpg

Bronco mpg is good for us, just wish the tank was bigger

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.3L MT badlands four door and I just checked, best I have gotten is 19mpg, worst is 12.9 mpg!!! Currently sitting at 15.8mpg lifetime (10k miles).

I am impressed at how low it can go. I tried to get single digits in a Chevrolet SS back in the day and the worst I could do was 14mpg.
I had a corvette back in the day. It got 20 MPG if careful and made a whopping 206 HP and weighted half as much as a Bronco. This was in 1984 when mileage was everything. Its nonsensical
Considering a recent thread on this topic and others, some perspective is in order:

Bronco: 20/22
Tacoma: 18/20
Colorado: V6 17/24
4Runner: 16/19
G-Wagon: 17/19
FJ Cruiser: 17/20
F150 2.7L: 17/23
Jeep 3.6L 20/24
Jeep 392: 12/17

I would say the Bronco is pretty darn respectable! If you want something with significantly better MPGs its not a 4WD truck. Sure you can do better in a small car based SUV, but the difference isn't huge and its hardly an apples to apples comparison.
Amazing how this thread has
I haven't reset the Avg MPG since we took delivery 18 days/675miles ago, but combined city (mostly)/highway, our dash indicates 15.6mpg.
Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L? You're not far from the rating.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got my Bronco before the holidays. About 1,400 miles into my BL 2.3 7MT and seeing 18.3 lifetime. It's been creeping up too. The first road trip was for the Christmas travels and I had it in Eco (more for break in than economy-have to save myself from myself) and was getting 18.0 and cruising at 75. It's only been sipping the standard stuff so far, haven't tried the premium yet.
Sponsored