Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wtf.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Seems to me like they could’ve made the 2.3 with a little less HP and a little more fuel-efficient. I would venture to guess that everyone that cares about power and the why no V8 crew will be going for the 2.7 anyway. Doesn’t really make sense to me to have a smaller and a bigger engine with no concern for either being fuel efficient.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Seems to me like they could’ve made the 2.3 with a little less HP and a little more fuel-efficient. I would venture to guess that everyone that cares about power and the why no V8 crew will be going for the 2.7 anyway. Doesn’t really make sense to me to have a smaller and a bigger engine with no concern for either being fuel efficient.
Maybe not. It's a heavy truck with a lot of running gear. I'd think a V6/V8 would be getting just about the same MPG as the 2.3 just because of what the bronco is. Hybrid and Diesel are the only ways to boost MPG numbers on something like this.

Doggin_it

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Constantly changing
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
with the size and weight of the tires i am betting the turbos will be always working. My guess would be low teens for MPGs. Fuel tank size is going to be a huge concern

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500 5.7L 4x4, 2018 Wrangler S 3.6L
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I bet the EPA on the 2.3L 4 door to come in at 22 city, 25 highway so it can beat the 2.0T JLU Wrangler by 1 mpg in the spirit of being 0.1" better at everything on paper... but in real life driving it will probably be like 17 city, 20 highway with stock tires and like ~3 less than that 'squatched. Back to the lifted box on wheels with AT tires is fighting all kinds of physics to move forward so cannot expect it to compete with boring sedan or crossover.

Sponsored

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I average 16-17 combined on regular fuel in mostly highway so I'm pretty confident a Sasquatched 2.7L Bronco will manage 18-20 in the same conditions.

However, I drive like a total grandma on pavement so YMMV.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I average 16-17 combined on regular fuel in mostly highway so I'm pretty confident a Sasquatched 2.7L Bronco will manage 18-20 in the same conditions.

However, I drive like a total grandma on pavement so YMMV.
I'm with your driving style. Total Low Rider, low & slow, theme going on.

guernsej

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
with the size and weight of the tires i am betting the turbos will be always working. My guess would be low teens for MPGs. Fuel tank size is going to be a huge concern
I doubt it at 65 on the highway, but for sure once you're going 80+.

Fuel tank size will definitely be a bigger planning factor off-road excursions than what I'm used to.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I had a 60 mile commute one way and no ability to charge on the return end so 120 miles only 16 or 17 of which were pure electric. Then my son started taking it to school which would get him pretty much almost round trip
LOL.

61 seems low actually. You must do a lot of long distance driving. My Energi was averaging in the mid 90's MPG until this COVID kept me at home for work, now it sits at 79 MPG.

It's been a great car, but a Mach-e will be replacing it before the Bronco arrives.
My commute to work was 120 mi round trip and only able to charge at home so 105 of my miles were generally in hybrid mode. Eventually it became my son's car and his round trip commute to school would pretty much be covered with a single charge from home.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm sure the 2.7 will be the best MPG and smallest engine I own. All my daily drivers get between 7.5-12 mpg on a typical tank. Fuel economy i could care less about, I drove my V10 Excursion daily (450 miles a week at the time) during $4.75/gallon gas getting 8 MPG, nothing scares me haha

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...Fuel tank size will definitely be a bigger planning factor off-road excursions than what I'm used to.
This is the crux of the matter; Fuel range with the small tanks (especially on the 2-door). The extra cost of a relative gas guzzler is insignificant compared to purchase price and and depreciation. I don't see the 2-door going 325 miles on a tank, even on a straight highway run. That is going to be annoying to a lot of folks. I am not swayed by the current options (limited manual transmission choices specifically), however if that changes in a couple model years, my use would be for work, traveling all over the middle third of the Country (and the occasional mild off roading on the weekends wherever I am at.) and that requires a lot of highway travel. a 2-door fits me better...a real world range of less than 350 miles would give me pause for thought as I have sites that are literally 80 miles from town or two hours away on a mountain

Broncomputer

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How the shit does something as simple as "2021 Bronco MPG?" elicit a strong negative response in anyone?
WhAt diD YoU sAy tO Me!?!!!!!

I only buy cars that get crap gas mileage because it makes me feel good! 30mpg!? Barf.

I'd pour gasoline on the ground if I could just to lower my MPG!

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bet the EPA on the 2.3L 4 door to come in at 22 city, 25 highway so it can beat the 2.0T JLU Wrangler by 1 mpg in the spirit of being 0.1" better at everything on paper... but in real life driving it will probably be like 17 city, 20 highway with stock tires and like ~3 less than that 'squatched. Back to the lifted box on wheels with AT tires is fighting all kinds of physics to move forward so cannot expect it to compete with boring sedan or crossover.
This would be drastically higher than the 4x4 Ranger with the 2.3

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t care about the MPG of the Bronco. The fuel cost difference between a car that gets 15 or 25 mpg with average miles (12k) over the course of a year isn't as much as people think. Less than $1,000. Well worth the fun factor of the Bronco! I expect the Bronco to be somewhere around 20 mpg. I have a hybrid daily that gets 42 mpg (Fleet vehicle) and will probably drive the Bronco 8k miles or less per year. I can understand the concerns of people who do a lot of mileage on a daily driver that gets poor MPG. The fuel cost adds up over the years but you also have to have fun in life and that has value too.
Sponsored