Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Extended observations:
1. The lack of rear vents is a real issue. The kids were tired of the wind so I closed the top/windows and turned on the AC. They were hot in 90-degree weather.
I don't worry about kids, but for my dog that does seem like a real issue. So dogs should be in the front passenger seat in summer?
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That actually made it worse, as more of the strap was exposed to the wind. My daughter even locked them, but it was no better. It's not a huge deal, but at relatively high speeds it is somewhat annoying and I'm sure I'll get those little nick marks on the pillar plastic from the buckle.
Try twisting em, like take the buckle and loop it through itself so the strap has a twist or two or three. I do the same with ratchet straps hauling stuff on the roof. The wind likes to play with smooth flat stuff when tight.

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Regarding the seat belts, have you tried a chip clip like this one? I think that might be an easy solution and you can get them at the grocery store.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco vs 4Runner Pics / Extended MPG in real-world / O.A.S 1625654242408

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This 👆my buddies that say their MPG, have never, ever, not once, actually calculated it. I’m sure OP is on the real real though
I am not so sure that the computer isn't more accurate. The computer knows how many times it turns each injector on per second. It also know the flow rate of each injector. Based on those it should be able to get an accurate fuel economy figure. When you fill up from the pump there's all kinds of variables. Did you click it off at the same time? How accurate is the pump? IF you want an accurate hand calculated figure you would have to have a completely empty tank and add lets say 1 gallon from a gas can. Then do a run until the tank is empty...

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right now I'm using the abacus and scribbling on my cave wall ;)

I reset the trip 1 and am letting it calculate separately from the overall system. At next fuel refill I'll calculate by hand.
I almost spit water on my computer monitor....abacus and cave wall :)

Sponsored

ChetC

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am not so sure that the computer isn't more accurate. The computer knows how many times it turns each injector on per second. It also know the flow rate of each injector. Based on those it should be able to get an accurate fuel economy figure. When you fill up from the pump there's all kinds of variables. Did you click it off at the same time? How accurate is the pump? IF you want an accurate hand calculated figure you would have to have a completely empty tank and add lets say 1 gallon from a gas can. Then do a run until the tank is empty...
The onboard calculation has been shown over and over again to be inaccurate. Google "How accurate is my MPG display" to see a plethora of results discussing such.

The standard method for refueling, used by hyper-milers, is to fill the tank until the pump automatically switches off, wait 30 seconds, and pull the trigger again until it once again automatically shuts off. At that point record your gallons/liters pumped. All gas pump nozzles in North America function the same way so this method is fairly universal.

And again, I respectfully request that everyone start logging their mileage/price/gallons on Fuelly.com to help establish a real world MPG database. It's super easy to do and as quick as sending a text from the pumps.

Last edited:

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The onboard calculation has been shown over and over again to be inaccurate. Google "How accurate is my MPG display" to see a plethora of results discussing such.

The standard method for refueling, used by hyper-milers, is to fill the tank until the pump automatically switches off, wait 30 seconds, and pull the trigger again until it once again automatically shuts off. At that point record your gallons/liters pumped. All gas pump nozzles in North America function the same way so this method is fairly universal.

And again, I respectfully request that everyone start logging their mileage/price/gallons on Fuelly.com to help establish a real world MPG database. It's super easy to do and as quick as sending a text from the pumps.

The "method" may be universal but that doesn't make it exactly accurate . Every vehicle has a different shape filler neck and if you put in fuel too fast it will shut the nozzle off prematurely. On top of that all pumps don't pump at the same rate so the pumps that pump faster will shut off quicker as well due to those funny shaped filler necks.. Now between those two variables and discrepancies in the pumps (did you see the TFL video for the F150 Powerboost where it got over 29 mpg but they came back and said the pump had issues!) that method isn't so accurate. So IF you want to calculate it by hand and be as accurate as possible you need to use the same pump every time and pull the trigger either all of the way or the same amount each time.

Accuracy of the onboard computer can and has been messed up when guys tune their trucks and then claim they are getting 20 mpg towing 10k lbs

Having said all of this I have 3 new F150's and 4 new SD's in the past 10 or so years and when I compare the trip computer to hand calculated they have all been within .5-1 mpg which is as close as you are gonna get unless you measure it with a gallon can with graduations on it before you put it in...

I am going to also bet that a majority of what you see on Fuelly is from trip computers anyway..........

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

I had to look up "hypermiling" to even know what it was. And honestly, I don't care enough about mileage to work that hard. I respect those who either *have to* or *want to* put that much energy into fuel conservation and tracking, but I'm not that guy.

ChetC

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The "method" may be universal but that doesn't make it exactly accurate . Every vehicle has a different shape filler neck and if you put in fuel too fast it will shut the nozzle off prematurely. On top of that all pumps don't pump at the same rate so the pumps that pump faster will shut off quicker as well due to those funny shaped filler necks.. Now between those two variables and discrepancies in the pumps (did you see the TFL video for the F150 Powerboost where it got over 29 mpg but they came back and said the pump had issues!) that method isn't so accurate. So IF you want to calculate it by hand and be as accurate as possible you need to use the same pump every time and pull the trigger either all of the way or the same amount each time.

Accuracy of the onboard computer can and has been messed up when guys tune their trucks and then claim they are getting 20 mpg towing 10k lbs

Having said all of this I have 3 new F150's and 4 new SD's in the past 10 or so years and when I compare the trip computer to hand calculated they have all been within .5-1 mpg which is as close as you are gonna get unless you measure it with a gallon can with graduations on it before you put it in...

I am going to also bet that a majority of what you see on Fuelly is from trip computers anyway..........
Ok. I’m not going to argue about filling up a tank/etc. but I will say that to log mileage onto Fuelly.com you must enter mileage, price per gallon and gallons pumped, you don’t just enter your MPG so you’d lose that bet. Here’s a screen shot from my current truck.

Ford Bronco 2021 Bronco vs 4Runner Pics / Extended MPG in real-world / O.A.S 1D3DD41F-92BF-48B6-BEA6-6D16CD60D49F

antiblue2022

Base
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 pontiac torrent
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

do you have the 3.73's or the 4.27's?

Sponsored
OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't worry about kids, but for my dog that does seem like a real issue. So dogs should be in the front passenger seat in summer?
115 here in Vegas today. Couldn't imagine my dog in the back without air vents - wife is in the front and refuses to swap places.
That actually made it worse, as more of the strap was exposed to the wind. My daughter even locked them, but it was no better. It's not a huge deal, but at relatively high speeds it is somewhat annoying and I'm sure I'll get those little nick marks on the pillar plastic from the buckle.
Same issue in my 2 door JL with the top off. I ended up securing them to the roll bar with color matched self-fusing tape. I always use it to finish handlebar wrap on my bike and figured this would be another good application for it. Looks more 'finished' and works great.

Al Cowlings

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
115 here in Vegas today. Couldn't imagine my dog in the back without air vents - wife is in the front and refuses to swap places.
Yeah, that's actually a real swing-and-a-miss on Ford's part. Both the JL and 4Runner have rear seat vents. They're not difficult or expensive to include.