First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had my Bronco Base 4Dr 2.3L with stock tires on the highway (I80) for the first time yesterday and was pleasantly surprised with the mileage. 31.4 MPG! This was a short trip about 40 miles round trip. The terrain is relatively flat with gentle hills and it was a calm day. I reset the mileage computer at the on ramp, so this was all highway mileage. On the return trip I was also getting the same mileage. When I arrived in the garage I was still showing 30.9 MPG, which includes about 5 miles of city stop & go driving. I had been averaging 19 MPG of pure stop & go driving, this is mostly with my wife driving and she is not driving for mileage, so this should be pretty typical. The caveat is on the highway I was doing 65 MPH, which for me is fine and don't have to keep fighting passing 18 wheelers. The time saved or lost is chicken crap really. Next time I will try 75 and see what it does. I know nobody gets a Bronco for mileage, so don't waste your keyboard repeating that, but it is capable of some pretty respectable numbers, at least non sasquatch 2.3L. Granted these numbers are using the display, but I believe they are in the ballpark according to the distance I'm getting between fill ups. For comparison, my sister says she gets 19 in town and low twenties on the highway with her Honda CRV, and that is in Orgon where the speed limit is 65 MPH! On a side note, I love the way the Bronco rides and handles on the highway, tracks straight and feels solid.

Ford Bronco Bronco Base, 31.4 highway MPG! 1655131204173
Sponsored

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice!! I would say more power to you!! But, I can say more money in your wallet 😂👍

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like to just tuck in behind another vehicle (at a safe distance) that looks like they are in for the long haul. I don't need to be first in line.

OP
OP
broncobase1

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice!! I would say more power to you!! But, I can say more money in your wallet 😂👍
Yeah, it really doesn't matter much. When I'm driving close to 80 and stop to take a pee, I'm passing cars I passed hours ago again.

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, it really doesn't matter much. When I'm driving close to 80 and stop to take a pee, I'm passing cars I passed hours ago again.
Exactly! I drive super easy with my four legged friend in the back and get there when I get there. I wish I had that kind of mileage. I’m at 21 mpg

Sponsored

rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your going to be pleasantly surprised again when you realize you mpg's are going to average much much lower than that. Your 19-22 mpg is much more realistic, it is what it is.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am not at all surprised at the mileage. Base 2 door is the lightest Bronco and with the 2.3, smaller and narrower tires is the best combo for MPG. The best speeds for the best gas mileage are 40-65, flat roads, no wind, light foot on the throttle. A big factor in MPG is how you drive too. I average 21.1 in my 2 door Basesquatch with 2.7. That's flat roads, few stops at lights, speeds from 40-55. I get 55 MPG in my daily driver on my work commute- a 2019 VW Jetta 1.4T. The rating is 30/40. I drive with a light foot and coast a lot. I'd love to drive the Bronco every day but 55 MPG on 100 miles a day saves me a lot of gas.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Your going to be pleasantly surprised again when you realize you mpg's are going to average much much lower than that. Your 19-22 mpg is much more realistic, it is what it is.
Not much lower.
My dash board says “23.2” mpg, but the back of my napkin says “22.5”

OP
OP
broncobase1

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sure its much lower in city stop & go driving, but that is what I'm getting on the highway at 65.

OP
OP
broncobase1

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am not at all surprised at the mileage. Base 2 door is the lightest Bronco and with the 2.3, smaller and narrower tires is the best combo for MPG. The best speeds for the best gas mileage are 40-65, flat roads, no wind, light foot on the throttle. A big factor in MPG is how you drive too. I average 21.1 in my 2 door Basesquatch with 2.7. That's flat roads, few stops at lights, speeds from 40-55. I get 55 MPG in my daily driver on my work commute- a 2019 VW Jetta 1.4T. The rating is 30/40. I drive with a light foot and coast a lot. I'd love to drive the Bronco every day but 55 MPG on 100 miles a day saves me a lot of gas.
Sounds about right. Big tires (heavy) and the lower gearing is definitely going to make a difference, but averaging 21 is respectable. You hear a lot of reviews knocking the Bronco's mileage. Sure its not great compared to an economy car, but it is not out of line with other 4WD trucks (hello Tacoma and 4Runner!). If I remember correctly a 4WD ram with the smallest available gas V6 is rated for 17 MPG. Most are V8 Hemi which is what 12?

TCC

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX -> WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
With 2300 mi on the OD, I’ve averaged 20.4 so far with my 2.7L 4dr OBX, adv 4wd, 315/70/17 KO2’s @ 35psi. I didn’t believe the computer since I’m in a pretty mountainous area mostly so I’ve been logging all my fill-ups. Computer is pretty close. I’m pretty light on the peddle though and have used only 93 octane so far. I’m pretty happy with that but will switch to 89 since premium is $5.25/gal now.
Sponsored