Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eco 2wd will be best. It also changes your shutter flaps in the grill for better aerodynamics. Youll run a bit hotter, which is a good thing for efficiency.

An often overlooked element is wind speed. An 8mph tail wind will give you SIGNIFICANTLY better gas mileage than going the same speed with an 8mph head wind.

I normally target 20mpg on the highway, but check wind maps for long trips. If I have a 5mph tail wind then I can cruise at 80 all day. If I have a 5 mph head wind I slow it down to 70.
Sponsored

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If I set the cruise with rpms under 2k (I believe about 65 mph in 6th gear, manual) I get about 26mpg freeway with standard Big Bend/OBX tires in normal mode at the suggested factory PSI. I feel like there's not much you can really do other than drastically limit speed and air up if you opted for 35s.

JL8jeff

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2door base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just did a run to the beach yesterday to catch the boat races and with my 2.7 base 2 door Sas with 35x12.5x17 BFG KM3 tires I averaged right around 21 mpg using normal mode. The biggest chunk of driving was in the 55-62 mph range. When I hit the highway and got up to 70-72 mph the mpg went down a little. So the actual speed will have more of an affect than which mode. My previous 2 tanks averaged around 18 mpg with just around town driving and not getting above 50 mph. I just hit 1300 miles so I might still be breaking in the engine.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have noticed exactly zero difference no matter what "mode" you pick for MPG. Personally I think the "eco" mode is a marketing add-on and it does absolutely nothing in the real world.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Modes will have no effect on the freeway, as you are theoretically already in your top gear.

If the freeway involves mountain passes, just remember to lock out the top gears when going uphill to prevent the engine from lugging, you will have worse mileage in higher gears with boost than lower gears without boost.

And of course, modes never have any effect on MPG of a stick shift since you are shifting yourself.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only eco mode is in your brain. If your brain is chill, your right foot will be chill. Be alert to changes in traffic flow and lift/coast as early as you can. If you're using the brakes you're reacting too late and missing an opportunity to coast at speed, which is where you'll see the most gains.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Eco 2wd will be best. It also changes your shutter flaps in the grill for better aerodynamics. Youll run a bit hotter, which is a good thing for efficiency.

An often overlooked element is wind speed. An 8mph tail wind will give you SIGNIFICANTLY better gas mileage than going the same speed with an 8mph head wind.

I normally target 20mpg on the highway, but check wind maps for long trips. If I have a 5mph tail wind then I can cruise at 80 all day. If I have a 5 mph head wind I slow it down to 70.
Yeah wind can make a big difference. I had to drive 150 miles against the wind a while back. 65mph-ish and my boost was 4+ most of the way.

Thank goodness the way back was the opposite and it helped balance my wallet:)

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The mode where you drive 65 the whole time? it seems like mine gets a little better mileage at 80 than 75 but haven't done enough long trips to be certain. in 10th gear at 70mph on flat ground the engine is basically at zero vacuum, so any increased throttle puts the turbos into boost which requires more fuel.
Staying out of boost is key to higher MPG's on these ECO/BOOSTS.
It's a choice ECO or Boost, not both.
When I swapped my manual Base from 30's to 35's, the hiway mileage absolutely tanked....until I stopped using the top gear.
Dropped to 5th at 78mph, 2700rpm and my fuel mileage actually increased over the factory set up.

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On a turbo charged engine you want 1-3psi of boost to make the best mileage. Watch the boost gauge and find the sweat spot. I usually get a decent jump in fuel economy on road trips.

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Single best thing for mpg. Slow down. Works great in any car. Especially a high riding brick.
I saw about 2 mpg loss for every 5mph I went above 70.
70 was about 24 mpg
75 about 22.5
80-85 about 18-19.5

this was all during a one way drive from ohio to Idaho using 87 octane. Base 2.3 7spd with black diamond 32” tires.

Coming home was worse. Went through the corn states so I suspect a higher blend of ethanol.
I was heading home to KC from the CO mountains and doing 80 on I-70 MPG's were 15-16 with windy conditions. 2.3L 7spd 33" BFG's. My wife gets 19-20 driving in town back and forth to work.....

Tiresmoke410

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco, 16 F250, 66 F250, 68 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
My rural ohio daily running around comes out to 24 or so in the summer months. Well with the factory base 30” tires. The 32s drop about 1 mpg off the daily running around.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I want whatever mode this has... same mileage I get with my BL 2dr. 🤯

Screenshot_20230626_202513_One UI Home.jpg

(I know it's a hybrid.. but that's mind-blowing).

Boomee

First Name
Bunmi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 subarus and a honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Eco 2 wheel drive or normal mode 2. The Eco mode changes the shift points but on the highway I’m not sure you will see any difference. The aerodynamics and heavy rotating mass of the wheels makes the Bronco one of the worst vehicles of its size for fuel economy. We average 17.5mpg in mixed driving with our Bronco and 29 mpg in our Range Rover diesel that is the about same size and also weighs 5,000+ lbs.
Also the range rover is a diesal wich is probably the biggest difference in fuel economy for that class of vehicle
Sponsored