DBX2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco; '23 F150 reg cab 5.0, custom interior
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wow, people are way to sensitive. We ask "why" all the time when somebody is asking questions about lift and bigger tires. Perfectly acceptable when someone asks a question that is seemingly out of the norm and can also help provide alternate solutions.

So the question still stands. Why are you looking for a leather free Bronco?
Really. Maybe just curiosity; maybe just wanting a greater understanding; maybe just conversational. Gees Louse, people. We all love Broncos. Leave the rest alone.
Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi friends,
I've spent dozens of hours researching this topic, however I've not found anyone yet who could answer with certainty. Let's see if I have some luck here ^_^'

I'm looking for a Bronco "straight from the dealer" without any leather in the interior, but it seems impossible :(. After lots of research apparently every single Bronco now officially has at least:
  • leather steering wheel
  • leather gear knob
You can see this on any Window Sticker as "LTHR GEAR KNOB/STR WHEEL". (For example: here)

My question is:
can any of you Bronco owners confirm if the leather on your steering wheel and gear knob is real leather? I know some manufacturers call it leather even if it's pu leather/pleather/leatherette/etc. but I'm not sure what's the case here. I have read forums, asked dealers and even asked Ford Customer Service... and I'm still not clear.

Thanks in advance.

🙏
steering wheel and shift knob are real leather stitching is pleather

JC2DR

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base 2dr 2.3 7speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Base. Cloth seats. Plastic steering wheel and vinyl shift knob. I replaced all these now but no leather to be found originally.

TrailDust

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 23 Bronco Sport, 97 F-150, 07 Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Compared to my JL Rubi the steering wheel "leather" on my Badlands likely came from a plastic cow, lol. Cheap crap leather if that is what it is.

wjtinfwb

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC, Excursion, Focus ST, Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi friends,
I've spent dozens of hours researching this topic, however I've not found anyone yet who could answer with certainty. Let's see if I have some luck here ^_^'

I'm looking for a Bronco "straight from the dealer" without any leather in the interior, but it seems impossible :(. After lots of research apparently every single Bronco now officially has at least:
  • leather steering wheel
  • leather gear knob
You can see this on any Window Sticker as "LTHR GEAR KNOB/STR WHEEL". (For example: here)

My question is:
can any of you Bronco owners confirm if the leather on your steering wheel and gear knob is real leather? I know some manufacturers call it leather even if it's pu leather/pleather/leatherette/etc. but I'm not sure what's the case here. I have read forums, asked dealers and even asked Ford Customer Service... and I'm still not clear.

Thanks in advance.

🙏
Not sure what covers the wheel and shifter in my '23 BIg Bend Mid, but if it's leather I'd have hated to be that cow. Feels very plastic-y and cheap, nothing at all like a real leather wrap. I specifically ordered a BB to get the cloth seats. Ford maintains the wheel is leather but if so, it's the worst feeling leather ever.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Compared to my JL Rubi the steering wheel "leather" on my Badlands likely came from a plastic cow, lol. Cheap crap leather if that is what it is.
Yeah, like many of you, I’ve had vehicles with leather and my steering wheel and shifter don’t feel like the real stuff.

I’ve got the MGV interior and didn’t want leather in my Bronco at all because Ford leather. Guess I have it anyway, but a decent vinyl coating would be easier to care for. But, this past summer, there I was rubbing leather cleaner and conditioner on this wheel while rolling my eyes at how fake it felt. :rolleyes:

Now I need to see a Base shifter and feel the wheel. Are they coated with anything?

RallyGorgo

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Jeep (‘06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon) and my ‘99 M3 both have leather steering wheels and both are NOT the wheel to have if your hands get wet!! I can appreciate the want for synthetic control surfaces in those instances!

As far as the “why?” question goes, I’m curious too. I’m open to learning the opinions of others, helps my understanding, should even teach me something. We need to get over being offended! Ask questions with the intent to learn.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just imagine that the cow that provided my Leather accents is PROUD that it's in a 'horse' vehicle. "Ha - stick it there horsey!".

Now if it was 'puppy or kitty leather', I think I'd have some kind of issue, but would get over it. That being said, if you tell yourself it's 'pleather' then it will be pleather.

Better than thinking that there's a cow wandering around somewhere out there with a gearshift hole and a steering wheel ring in its hide.

GOATS

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imaginary Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not necessarily insulting (to me), but perhaps just a bit off-putting, and quite frankly not helpful, to someone new to this forum who is just asking a harmless question. We know there are a ton of people on this forum that hunt, and perhaps a group that don't.
Off-putting and unhelpful? Assuming something (they are vegan or allergic) is worse than someone innocently asking why. Maybe he's asking why to determine if they are vegan or allergic or something else without assuming anything.... then you get triggered and snap back about him getting triggered... you gaslight enough that posts get deleted.... then he provides a link with options which IS helpful. Interesting.

"Be curious, not judgmental."
-Ted Lasso

61gCAqZJORL.jpg

Last edited:

Googz13

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the my base has no leather products, instead it’s mostly plastic.

While real leather isn’t great for an individual animal, real leather is much better for the environment.

Sponsored

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To actually answer the OP's question the base Bronco was the only one without leather and it's been discontinued for 2024. So all 2024 Bronco's will have at least a leather wheel and shifter. As far as Fords leather being real the same could be said about McDonalds hamburger being real beef. Leather like hamburger comes in many different forms and from different sources. Leather can be made from the hide of any animal not just cows. Ford says leather however they don't specify genuine cow hide leather.

OP
OP

Meow808

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh wow! Thanks everyone who answered, I'm looking fwd to finally own a Bronco and be part of this community :D

I'm a very specific / straight to the point person and additionally english is not my native language, so plz forgive if something I write comes out as harsh, im really grateful for all your comments 🙏

Some quick points below:
  1. SEATS: I'm aware seats can be MGV or cloth options, we are gtg there, I'm just asking steering wheel and gear knob :)
  2. BUYING A BASE: I'm aware base model WAS no leather, but as yall well point out it's discontinued it and it's impossible to find as new inventory. So this is not an option :(
  3. AFTERMARKET UPFITTERS: I'm aware an aftermarket upfitter like https://www.fordupfits.com/ could theoretically work on the car after purchased, however as I said in the original post I'm looking for a Bronco that comes "straight out of the dealer" without leather. This is common in other cars, for example in the New Defender you can get the "non-leather steering wheel" as an extra if you pay extra $300.
  4. FINDING AN OEM BASE STEERING WHEEL AND SWAP IT: this could work I guess but same issue as before, it's not "straight from the dealer" and requires aftermarket modifications.
So before I go explore option 4 (finding somebody who wants to swap pieces ) and although I'm afraid I already got my answer ("yes it's indeed leather") I'm going to still ask the question once again with as much clear clarity as I can:

Does anyone who owns a Bronco can tell with certainty if their steering wheel / gear knob are real leather?

Thanks much, yall awesome

PS: I guess I might need to open a new thread to ask for somebody with a Bronco base in CA who would want to trade their Bronco Base non-leather Steering wheel and knob (below)...
... by the leather one.

But I'm afraid it'll screw any type of new car guarantee or be just illegal under a car lease agreement, which is the root of avoiding the swap and wanting it "as is" straight from the dealer :(. Really unfortunate this can not been done BEFORE delivery and only AFTER as I'd be happy to pay any money for this to be done beforehand.

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You might put some ads out to see if there's any Base owners willing to trade their steering wheels. I would definitely get it done by dealer service, for your warranty and hopefully peace of mind.

On the shifter, just ask your salesperson to do an aftermarket purchase and find one they can install before you pick it up. As someone posted, the Archetype Racing knob is nice if pricey.

OP
OP

Meow808

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Totally. Just to be clear I understand this a half-baked as solution, not really a good/desired one.

I'm trying to see if it's possible to get a Bronco out of the dealer with no leather, I'm happy to pay extra if needed, and wait extra if needed, but process should be "transparent" for the customer. By the time I get the car from the lot it should have no leather on steering wheel and knob and not require me going the etxra mile on a side quest to see what I can scavenge around for an offthegrid swap.

I wonder if there's ANY way for a dealer to build/receive the car without steering wheel & knob gaiter (I'd imagine not) or if there's a way to have those 2 base pieces pre-installed as they are pieces that exist and are officially still around (MB3Z7213AA & M2DZ3600AB). I have asked 7 dealers and answers have always been NO, but this is not necessarily something I feel binding as dealers often gave me wrong, incomplete or contradictory information PLUS I feel there's a conflict of interest as they usually want you to buy a car out of the lot.

I know in jeep you can go deep tweaking things out of the "builder" very very specifically thru Mopar before your specific build is made, however it doesn't seem possible thru Ford, or at least no dealer has wanted anything other than trying to sell you what they have on inventory (I've talked to 7 different dealers)

Thanks again yall
Sponsored