Bronco R in action, BAJA 1000

Wyo

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor, 2011 Ford Expedition and 1968 Ford Bronco!
They better go run and win the San Felipe 250 in March or the Baja 500 in June now!

BroncoMike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
They better go run and win the San Felipe 250 in March or the Baja 500 in June now!
"See you next time" sure implies that. I can only hope this will lead to a redoubled effort on Ford's behalf. Showing poorly a second time would be a disaster, and not showing up for it would be clearly interpreted as a white flag.

Stampede.Offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
"See you next time" sure implies that. I can only hope this will lead to a redoubled effort on Ford's behalf. Showing poorly a second time would be a disaster, and not showing up for it would be clearly interpreted as a white flag.
I really do hope they take a shot at KOH -- there were some Hammer Truck vehicles that did well in this Baja 1000. That's a race you will find all kinds of Jeeps of varying levels of modifications. At the very least Ford has to show up at the next 250.

Jeep might smell blood in the water and make the race more interesting. Competition is good for us.

OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 f-250 6.9 idi diesel, 2004 jeep liberty sport
Thanks for following this up guys! I got busy yesterday and wasn't able to follow. Catching up on everything now, but overall I am sorely disappointed!

Last edited:
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 f-250 6.9 idi diesel, 2004 jeep liberty sport
All I can say is since they utterly failed to make this reminiscent of the skunkworks 1st year win like the anniversary Ford GT, I hope they can make it like the OG GT with a sweet comeback! Curious what kind of coverage/update we will get on the homepage. So far nothing significant.

Nanook

First Name
Jonathan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pro4X Titan, Ford Fusion, Ducati Diavel
The proper foundation is already tested and proven. Put the Bronco R body on the hacked up F150 Raptor mule that was running around and drop the coyote in it for the audio clips. Done!
Puff puff pass

Stampede.Offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
So the only parts that are production-like are the chassis and engine. Sounds about right.

Jalisurr

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution, '09 Corvette Z06, '08 ZX-6R
The official word on the issues:

We had several challenges during the race, including:

· Getting hit and becoming stuck after a trophy truck hit the Raptor in San Quetin Wash near race mile 190. That’s desert racing!

· This damaged a skid plate that also led to damaging the transmission cooling lines. We fixed the skid plate at Pit 2 but didn’t catch the transmission leak until after it started slipping. It made it to Pit 3. This took several hours to repair.

· Around race mile 480 we broke a fabricated lower control arm. This was replaced but took another 90 minutes or so.

· Ran into aftermarket cooling fan issues around race mile 580. By the time it was repaired at Pit 5 it was about 8:30 at night. The next portion was challenging and risky to get help on the course if something happened, and we’d likely wouldn’t finish until after the official time limit expired.

BroncoMike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Straight-up, factual explanation. It works for now, but they need to get out again ASAP and make a better showing of it.

BroncoRevital

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
This is very disappointing and definitely something I feared as I wish they were able to run a few of them. Putting all your eggs in one basket on this race is a gamble.
It's not a good look but as long as they keep at it and keep running it then it can be looked over. Hope this wasn't their only try. Keeping up a race team for the Bronco will be great publicity but going out like this wont be.

SpursFan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne
Only take away from this is they had a bit of bad luck but were prepared to repair as needed. All it takes is one bad turn, bump, corner amd your day could be done.