Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI/Sportwagen/Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Long time listener, first time caller...seriously considering doing this to my BD when it comes in if those that have done this think its worth it. Will be doing lots of back roads and gravel at speed. I'd like to start collecting parts, but interested in longer term thoughts.

@Bigmoose and @kodiakisland any updated long term impressions of the suspension upgrade?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bigmoose

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Long time listener, first time caller...seriously considering doing this to my BD when it comes in if those that have done this think its worth it. Will be doing lots of back roads and gravel at speed. I'd like to start collecting parts, but interested in longer term thoughts.

@Bigmoose and @kodiakisland any updated long term impressions of the suspension upgrade?
Totally worth it. It's a bargain for what you get. Do it!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very much worth it for what you get over the Hitachi suspension. I’d start looking for takeoffs for under $1000. That’s the simplest way as it’s a quick and easy swap. You are a lot better off doing this for more travel and about an inch in height over doing a spacer lift.

I don’t intend to run the Bilsteins forever, but they will be great for a year or so until the market catches up. I’m only concerned with performance upgrades and not looks. When I can get about an inch more lift with more travel at a decent price, I’ll change. Until then I will be very happy with the Bilsteins.

I think it’s a no brainer to ditch the Hitachi for the Bilstein. Bang for your buck value is about as good as it’s going to get for performance improvement.

Djd7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very much worth it for what you get over the Hitachi suspension. I’d start looking for takeoffs for under $1000. That’s the simplest way as it’s a quick and easy swap. You are a lot better off doing this for more travel and about an inch in height over doing a spacer lift.

I don’t intend to run the Bilsteins forever, but they will be great for a year or so until the market catches up. I’m only concerned with performance upgrades and not looks. When I can get about an inch more lift with more travel at a decent price, I’ll change. Until then I will be very happy with the Bilsteins.

I think it’s a no brainer to ditch the Hitachi for the Bilstein. Bang for your buck value is about as good as it’s going to get for performance improvement.
What made you go with BL coilovers vs SAS? Given they ride ~0.4” over BL I would think you’d go with SAS.. not questioning your decision just curious as to the why!

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What made you go with BL coilovers vs SAS? Given they ride ~0.4” over BL I would think you’d go with SAS.. not questioning your decision just curious as to the why!

Articulation is everything. If upgrading for performance, I'll take articulation over height. The Badlands coilovers have the most range of travel of any of the stock setups.

Also, right now I have 33s and only plan to go to 34s down the road. I don't need or want a higher center of gravity but do want more articulation.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Articulation is everything. If upgrading for performance, I'll take articulation over height. The Badlands coilovers have the most range of travel of any of the stock setups.

Also, right now I have 33s and only plan to go to 34s down the road. I don't need or want a higher center of gravity but do want more articulation.
Did you install the Camburg trailing arm and Icon track bar yet?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been following this thread and also the market for takeoffs. As was discovered early on was that the Bilsteins are tuned different for the respective build. And when looking for takeoffs, it would be ideal to match the takeoffs Bronco build spec to the Bronco adding them. As you found, there isn't a lot of takeoffs that have hit the market when you bought yours. There is even less that match both Bronco build specs.

So I ask you and others for your opinion on adding a 4-dr 2.3 Badlands Bilsteins to a 2-dr 2.3 Black Diamond? I found a somewhat local seller selling (less than $500 for the Bilsteins). I just want to make sure that the non-matching build specs can be ignored especially at that price point.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've been following this thread and also the market for takeoffs. As was discovered early on was that the Bilsteins are tuned different for the respective build. And when looking for takeoffs, it would be ideal to match the takeoffs Bronco build spec to the Bronco adding them. As you found, there isn't a lot of takeoffs that have hit the market when you bought yours. There is even less that match both Bronco build specs.

So I ask you and others for your opinion on adding a 4-dr 2.3 Badlands Bilsteins to a 2-dr 2.3 Black Diamond? I found a somewhat local seller selling (less than $500 for the Bilsteins). I just want to make sure that the non-matching build specs can be ignored especially at that price point.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the only difference is the springs. I think 4-dr match would be best. Since Badlands and Black Diamond are very close in weight otherwise.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No problem, but you may get a little more lift in the front than expected due to weight differences. That might be good if you plan on adding a heavier bumper or winch. For $500 I would do it.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you install the Camburg trailing arm and Icon track bar yet?
I did the Camburg arms at the same time I did the coilovers. I’m still waiting on the Icon track bar to ship.

Here is what I found on my new, well dirt mountain new, factory trailing arms. The hard rubber was already cracking. Not what I expected to see, but glad I replaced them.

Ford Bronco Bronco Sasquatch suspension parts (shocks & springs) price quoted at $1300 from dealer parts department B57F42A3-557F-4D59-926C-B9867A7D9C8B

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No problem, but you may get a little more lift in the front than expected due to weight differences. That might be good if you plan on adding a heavier bumper or winch. For $500 I would do it.
That is what I was expecting as the chassis is heavier. I'm not planning on any new bumper (might on the winch). This BD is a holdover Bronco until my original reservation/order is built from allocation purgatory. So I'm not looking to throw a ton of money into the BD, but $500 is a bargain even if the build specs don't match. Of course, I may just love the BD and leave my original order to remain in allocation purgatory while I enjoy this Bronco. If that happens, then yeah, I'll be updating the bumper and other components.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is what I was expecting as the chassis is heavier. I'm not planning on any new bumper (might on the winch). This BD is a holdover Bronco until my original reservation/order is built from allocation purgatory. So I'm not looking to throw a ton of money into the BD, but $500 is a bargain even if the build specs don't match. Of course, I may just love the BD and leave my original order to remain in allocation purgatory while I enjoy this Bronco. If that happens, then yeah, I'll be updating the bumper and other components.

For $500 it is more than worth it to upgrade over the Hitachis. Let's say worst case scenario you get a 1/2 inch more lift in the front than you want, you can always add either 1/4 or 1/2 inch top plate spacers to the rear to add back the rake, if you want it. I think it will be fine as is though.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For $500 it is more than worth it to upgrade over the Hitachis. Let's say worst case scenario you get a 1/2 inch more lift in the front than you want, you can always add either 1/4 or 1/2 inch top plate spacers to the rear to add back the rake, if you want it. I think it will be fine as is though.
Or you get a $500 lift and level + better suspension. I feel like a chump for paying $1200. Ah well. I also thought I’d have my tires then…still backordered.

pwork

Black Diamond
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI/Sportwagen/Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Bigmoose and @kodiakisland appreciate taking the time to give an update! Search is on for parts
Sponsored