Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Disclaimer: ONX is better - just not on the Bronco screen. If your goal is something to run on the dash screen avoid ONX.

ONX has a great app if you use their tried and true web interface and they are really resting on their laurels allowing existing customers to sing their praises based on THIS interface.

But those of us with 12" screens on our Broncos are looking for an app to run on the dash via CARPLAY (or Android Auto), not something to run on our phone or tablets. If we wanted to use our phone...there are tons of other options out there beside ONX that are equally as good.

ONX via CARPLAY is nothing like their web interface. In fact, it ranges from unusable to barely usable at best - depending on your need.

Just a heads up. Anytime somebody says "ONX IS BETTER" just know they are not talking about "when run on the Bronco dash screen".
Thank you for this info. Do you know how GAIA interfaces with the Bronco's 12" CarPlay screen? Is it better than ONX's CarPlay interface?
Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another vote for Gaia over Onx. I have used Gaia for a lttle over 6 years. It works flawlessly on my 12" via Android Auto. I tried Onx mainly because of all the marketing, it was worthless. The website is ok but that is about it.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m on a 12” and it worked, which was better than my experience with the bronco app.

but definitely submit feedback to the app devs if you want feature changes or improvements.
Define "worked"

Show you a picture of a map? Sure, OK. It does that. Show you a map that is in any way usable? Not even a little bit.

Nothing on the map is labeled so you don't know the names of any of those squiggly lines. There is no scale so you don't know if that nameless squiggly line up ahead is 100 feet away or 100 miles away.

Pretty sure the developers were tasked with just slapping together a Carplay app in an afternoon so the company could claim to support Carplay in all their marketing. There was obviously no design specs put into that app.

NOTE: This is based on an evaluation I did about 2 months ago. Possible they've updated since then but I'm not seriously expecting that. I cancelled my subscription so don't know what it looks like today .

brkdncr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Define "worked"

Show you a picture of a map? Sure, OK. It does that. Show you a map that is in any way usable? Not even a little bit.

Nothing on the map is labeled so you don't know the names of any of those squiggly lines. There is no scale so you don't know if that nameless squiggly line up ahead is 100 feet away or 100 miles away.

Pretty sure the developers were tasked with just slapping together a Carplay app in an afternoon so the company could claim to support Carplay in all their marketing. There was obviously no design specs put into that app.

NOTE: This is based on an evaluation I did about 2 months ago. Possible they've updated since then but I'm not seriously expecting that. I cancelled my subscription so don't know what it looks like today .
it worked. vs the bronco trail app, which did not work. I’m not claiming that onx offroad is the best, just that it’s usable . I gave Gaia a try a while back but i didn’t like it as much.

the next time I go out I’ll see if I can demo it again.

Mibuckeye

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Would be nice to actually use it once on the trail to compare. Unfortunately having to log in to Ford Pass before using is a limiting factor for the use of this app. I don't typically have internet access and therefore cannot launch the app. Got it to work once while in the driveway at home but once I hit the trail it failed again as it couldn't find the app. Restart phone. Search for app. Do again. Do again. Finds app. Requires login. Can't log in....complete disappointment....then again, the Android Auto integration with my Bronco is sucky all the time too. No problem when connected to my Explorer though.

Sponsored

OregonMike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I tried it out a couple weekends ago. Initially, we had no cell service, and the app complained about AppLink the first time I tried it. I gave it another shot a few minutes later and it started working. I was able to record a chunk of the drive until I unintentionally stopped the recording while futzing around with the app trying to get it to record video. I couldn't get the drive recording to start after that, but I only tried a couple more times.

Ford Bronco Bronco Trail App - any fixes? IMG_7739

Every attempt at recording video with the app seemed to start okay and then stop in just a few seconds (or above 5mph, not sure if speed or time is the real trigger). I'm going to try it again next time out and see what happens.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I tried it this weekend and couldnt get it to work.
1) You need to sign into your Ford account on your phone before it will load on CarPlay. Well that's useless when you're out of cell range where half of their trails are located.
Same. Was way out of cell service this past weekend and figured I would try the app to record some trails on the way out. Nope, had to sign-in first. Dumb feature.

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just tried to use the video today. Ran a couple trails and then shut the bronco down before I remembered to stop the recording. Started it up and it didn't resume, now I have a 2gb file that cannot be played and it doesn't show up in my feed. Super disappointed.

Nothing Left

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Audi A8, Wrangler JK, WR450F
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I tried using the app and couldn’t get past the first screen. So frustrating. I was way up in the hills and thought I wonder if Waze has trails. Sure did. It was my only choice and it knew the route. No trail ratings of course, and surprising with the route it guided us on given the difficulty of the terrain, but it did the job. I’ve never been able to get past the log in screen on the Bronco.

Brncool

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree with others that onX is a better and more complete option at this point. Even so, I’ve been able to use the Bronco Trail App consistently over the past several months. I will note when Ford did a Sync update this summer it killed my ability to link the phone app and onboard program. After chatting with a Ford Tech, we determined the update had turned off permissions for the app in Sync. Easy remedy, though: Go into Settings on Sync and then into Mobile Apps > Bronco Trails App and "Enable All" permissions. Your phone and Sync should then start talking to each other. Happy trails no matter what trail app you decide to use.

Last edited:

Sponsored

duel007

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4-door Bronco Badlands Lux Non-Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm pretty unhappy with the trail app - I got it to "work" but had two major issues with it.

1. The trail on the app was nowhere near the actual trail in Mineral Creek (Ouray, CO). I was so far away from the trail that I had to flag someone down and ask what trail I was on, since there was no turnoff where the Trail App said there would be. Luckily I was in the right place.

2. I tried to do an "easy" trail in Moab and after the first hour it started getting really hard. Eventually stopped at a giant rock garden I couldn't do myself. I double checked the maps and this so called "easy" trail follows the same route as a level 4 severe trail. Really frustrating.

Next trip I'll be trying one of the other major apps like Onx or Gaia.

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I have both OnX and Gaia to play with but since I do not have cell service where I travel 90% of the time, I will continue to use my Garmin Tread Overland. As I have mentioned elsewhere, I have hundreds of waypoints and the 24K topos, land owner maps, trail ratings, etc. cant be beat. Additionally, I can track my buddies and my dogs and it gives me the option to add a front camera.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Picked up my Braptor last night and it shows up as purchased in Ford Pass. When I logon to the Bronco Trail app it says the VIN is invalid. Is there a delay? I've had the VIN for a few months. Any suggestions? The error message says to make sure it is my Ford pass garage. Not sure what they mean by garage.

Order
2023 Bronco
Order Number: 102019xx
VIN: 1FMEE5JR9PLB919xx
Order Status
Completed Purchase

View details

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have had no success with the Ford app, and so I happily use the OnX app and it displays well on my 12" screen. Onx works every time, and that is what you want from an app.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I opened a ticket and they said my issue was that they are having issues supporting Braptors. Not sure why but they said just to keep checking the app for updates.
Sponsored