Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
My take/estimations - Ford needs to cap GVWR at 6000 to stay in the class.

if a 2.7L 4 dr loaded OBX is say 5,000 lbs wet, and a 2.7L 4 dr loaded BL is say 5,200 lbs wet, that leaves you with a 1000 lb payload vs 800 lb.

if you do some digging on how you typically calc payload and ran the math...for a family of four, with a full cargo hold on a road trip... let’s say 200 lb dad, 150 lb mom, and two 100 lb teenagers (give or take smaller kids or add dog) plus 50 lb luggage each, 100 lb misc. that’s 850 lbs. add loaded cargo box at 150 lbs for kids random stuff (I know max cargo box weight is capped off slightly lower per ford, but forget) and you’re at 1,000 lb total payload.

looking at SUVs most safely exceed payload of 1,000 lbs falling around 1,300-1,500 lbs.

So if I’m thinking about this right, and the roof rack is the biggest tell on what Ford wants you to strap on the roof, the OBX 2.7 does allow for the rack, and the BL 2.7 does not. That seems to be about the difference of the added weight of a loaded cargo box. And roughly the difference of 800 vs 1000 lb payload.

So if you plan on occasionally using this like an explorer for family road trips, the badlands 2.7 may not be the trim for you.

sure, the GVWR is an arbitrary number, but if we do find out that we can’t add 1,000 payload to a 2.7 BL I can’t bring myself to get that trim just based on my families safety. If you google other guys asking if it’s okay to exceed GVWR the responses are not very comforting. Could it handle more? Probably. Is Ford capping GVWR to compete with wrangler? Probably. But to strap my family into a tall roofless truck with 1,000 lbs of stuff for a long trip and go against the numbers is not something I’d be comfortable doing.

before you bash me and say well go get an explorer then! Fine. But all Im saying is if you want this truck to serve double duty, for off roading or over landing plus family trips, we may find out we need to be more selective over our build. This could rule out the 2.7 sas 4 dr and potentially the 2.7 BL 4 dr. There’s a reason Ford says there’s a trim for everyone but it sounds like we should be prepared to find out a more extreme build with bigger tires and a lift won’t have enough payload to serve double duty.

That’s my take. So until we know the GVWR numbers I can’t bring myself to getting the BL. I’d rather have the peace of mind I’ve a different build/trim where I pick up more payload.

but let’s allow the numbers to be released and do the talking...
6000 # and over is considered by the IRS to be Heavy equipment and has over time been given very generous business tax deductions. Some manufacturers have run into trouble labeling vehicles 6000 #'s when they were not. Thinking Ford maybe trying to stay clear of this.
Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Very intelligent analysis!!!! That analysis/information should have come from Ford.
Thanks. Keep in mind the two trims that come standard with sas (wildtrak and first edition) do not even have the option for the roof rack. Not that’s it’s locked out. It’s absent! Those trucks are pre-configured with all the extra weight. So it’s not the combination of optioning it out that trips you on getting locked out of the roof rack option. It’s simply not there at all! To me, that’s very telling. Ford wants the payload to be limited to the occupants and whatever could fit in the trunk, and not have ppl strapping unknown weight to the roof. I think Ford said 100-120 lbs for max weight on roof. So there you go. It’s maxed out without even the extra payload available for a cargo box.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
6000 # and over is considered by the IRS to be Heavy equipment and has over time been given very generous business tax deductions. Some manufacturers have run into trouble labeling vehicles 6000 #'s when they were not. Thinking Ford maybe trying to stay clear of this.
Ok. Then even worse. A 4 dr sas with a payload under 800 is almost half the payload of what many 2 row mid SUVs could handle. It’s almost unheard of to have a payload that low for a truck this size.

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

if a 2.7L 4 dr loaded OBX is say 5,000 lbs wet, and a 2.7L 4 dr loaded BL is say 5,200 lbs wet, that leaves you with a 1000 lb payload vs 800 lb.

if you do some digging on how you typically calc payload and ran the math...for a family of four, with a full cargo hold on a road trip... let’s say 200 lb dad, 150 lb mom, and two 100 lb teenagers (give or take smaller kids or add dog) plus 50 lb luggage each, 100 lb misc. that’s 850 lbs. add loaded cargo box at 150 lbs for kids random stuff (I know max cargo box weight is capped off slightly lower per ford, but forget) and you’re at 1,000 lb total payload.

looking at SUVs most safely exceed payload of 1,000 lbs falling around 1,300-1,500 lbs.

So if I’m thinking about this right, and the roof rack is the biggest tell on what Ford wants you to strap on the roof, the OBX 2.7 does allow for the rack, and the BL 2.7 does not. That seems to be about the difference of the added weight of a loaded cargo box. And roughly the difference of 800 vs 1000 lb payload.

So if you plan on occasionally using this like an explorer for family road trips, the badlands 2.7 may not be the trim for you.

sure, the GVWR is an arbitrary number, but if we do find out that we can’t add 1,000 payload to a 2.7 BL I can’t bring myself to get that trim just based on my families safety. If you google other guys asking if it’s okay to exceed GVWR the responses are not very comforting. Could it handle more? Probably. Is Ford capping GVWR to compete with wrangler? Probably. But to strap my family into a tall roofless truck with 1,000 lbs of stuff for a long trip and go against the numbers is not something I’d be comfortable doing.

before you bash me and say well go get an explorer then! Fine. But all Im saying is if you want this truck to serve double duty, for off roading or over landing plus family trips, we may find out we need to be more selective over our build. This could rule out the 2.7 sas 4 dr and potentially the 2.7 BL 4 dr. There’s a reason Ford says there’s a trim for everyone but it sounds like we should be prepared to find out a more extreme build with bigger tires and a lift won’t have enough payload to serve double duty.

That’s my take. So until we know the GVWR numbers I can’t bring myself to getting the BL. I’d rather have the peace of mind I’ve a different build/trim where I pick up more payload.

Very intelligent analysis!!!! In my opinion, Ford should have given us this relatively simple explanation. Treat us like adults, and inform us.

That said, we (myself included) should be giving Ford more grace. They’re doing a great job overall. It’s just a few smaller things that are being fumbled. In the big picture, Ford deserves a high-five.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carpet on the seat back and cargo area-I think it's cost cutting above all. The MSRP is so close on these models that Ford needed shave off cost.
MSRP is so close?

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok. Then even worse. A 4 dr sas with a payload under 800 is almost half the payload of what many 2 row mid SUVs could handle. It’s almost unheard of to have a payload that low for a truck this size.
How can this vehicle that huge? Isn't it within an inch of the Wrangler? That isn't THAT big.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am confused by one statement regarding the carpet on the back of the seats. It then says that teh sport has a rubberized rear cargo area. Does this mean that the regular bronco cargo area is carpet I thought pictures i saw it was also rubberized?
Best thing on the sport I saw in person.

4B13145B-8CF6-41D6-99F8-6B442DEB1176.jpeg

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

What’s most telling is the wildtrak and FE which are preconfigured with all that weight, don’t even have the option of choosing a rack. It’s simply not there!! Why? Because it’s not like optioning up the car would trigger the rails being locked out. The car is heavy enough it’s in stock trim that Ford just removed the option of the rack all together.

So if you plan on occasionally using this like an explorer for family road trips, the badlands 2.7 may not be the trim for you. Nor is any trim configured with 2.7 and sas.

That’s my take. So until we know the GVWR numbers I can’t bring myself to getting the BL. I’d rather have the peace of mind on a different build/trim where I pick up more payload.

But will see see GVWR ratings prior to ordering? I doubt it. I know on the ‘21 gladiator ecodiesels, people were not getting answers on GVWR & payload until after they ordered their trucks and the trucks were built and started being delivered. Then owners started posting pics of their door stickers.

P52Ranch

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR 7MT Badlands, F150 Lightning, New Holland 4030
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually, I believe that the owner's manual can be accessed on the infotainment screen. No need for an internet connection.
The 12” infotainment screen is going to be real difficult to get into the crapper where I like to do my reading. I guess I’m stuck with the 1966 Sears wish book.

Daytona_Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 12” infotainment screen is going to be real difficult to get into the crapper where I like to do my reading. I guess I’m stuck with the 1966 Sears wish book.
As real as it gets! ?

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I see alot of old man yelling at cloud in here now lol. Joking aside, Is blowing fuses in off-road vehicles a common thing? I've owned 6 new cars, and a few used cars never blown a fuse. In the last 20 years my parents and siblings have combined for probably close 30 or so new cars and never blown a fuse.

Its also been posted you can still get a hard copy if you desire. Now I agree it should come with it, but you can get it if you want it. Honestly I'd be surprised if 70% of new car buyers even know if there's an owners manual or not in the glove box.

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
may explain the assumed grease stains in the hardware and the unmentionables.

Last edited:

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Spoken like someone with reliable internet service. After years and years of having literally no phone service or connectivity (and contacting representatives, having ATT laugh at us) we finally have fixed wireless. There is a data cap on that, also. 300 GB per month to be exact. I know how much (roughly) different types of downloads, streaming, etc take up on my GB. If you do not have a strong enough up/down stream, how the ^%& do you think these folks are going to download stuff? You have no clue what this is like. We are not all technologically equal in this country, by far.

Florida just started a new official government office to try to cover rural areas with broadband. We are the 3rd largest state and we still aren't covered! Stop acting like everyone has what you have regarding internet capability. Most people I know have SATELLITE internet. The worst ever. So be shush, please.
Yet here you are posting like a madman LMAO. Sorry but downloading a .pdf is less “data” than what you’ve used on this thread.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yet here you are posting like a madman LMAO. Sorry but downloading a .pdf is less “data” than what you’ve used on this thread.
You've been given plenty of information to understand, yet you are still making comments that miss the entire point.

Happy new year

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Spoken like someone with reliable internet service. After years and years of having literally no phone service or connectivity (and contacting representatives, having ATT laugh at us) we finally have fixed wireless. There is a data cap on that, also. 300 GB per month to be exact. I know how much (roughly) different types of downloads, streaming, etc take up on my GB. If you do not have a strong enough up/down stream, how the ^%& do you think these folks are going to download stuff? You have no clue what this is like. We are not all technologically equal in this country, by far.

Florida just started a new official government office to try to cover rural areas with broadband. We are the 3rd largest state and we still aren't covered! Stop acting like everyone has what you have regarding internet capability. Most people I know have SATELLITE internet. The worst ever. So be shush, please.
I hear ya. When I go to hunt camp every November in Highland County, Virginia we have to drive 5 miles into town (Mcdowell) and park in the firehouse parking lot just to get a signal!
Sponsored