First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So I watched a few videos, stalked threads on this and other bronco forums and have to tell you the install is simple, I've done it twice already.

And yes I would believe a 6 month old top that came off another owner (who claims it never leaked, as did the company that sold it to him and installed it, who just took his hard top off for a full soft top) I think its possible that for the most part they don't leak. But looking around on the inter webs tells me a different story. I didn't come here to bash the seller or even Bestop. I came here so others can understand that if they were to buy a used accessory from this manufacturer, you're on your own. Stated that to begin with.

Personally, I think the idea behind this top is BRILLIANT, it's really the best of both worlds. But not without its drawbacks. Bestop wanted me to re-install the top and take video of it leaking. I told them where it was leaking from, Side window defroster vents, bottom of the dash, but they wanted me to do that again. How comfortable would you be with pouring water into that again, on purpose? Like I said they've been around a while, and this product is a great idea, I wish it worked out on my vehicle.

You mentioned adjusting the brackets, it's interesting because their directions are very simple, give no way to check your work, and make no mention of any adjustability whatsoever. If it's a matter of adjusting brackets wouldn't they say that? Wouldn't you have some video somewhere?

The seller is taking it back, I am sure he's not happy, and I know I am not. I'll file this under seemed like a good idea at the time.
So Bestop did offer some support? That’s a lot different than your claim in first post.

And pressing your finger like that will create a gap on any top. Like I said, the adjustability is on the brackets mounted on the Bronco. Not the Bestop. I can’t blame them for not including that on the instructions, you shouldn’t have to do that. But we all know how good the quality control on the Bronco assembly is. Moving the bracket 1mm can make a big improvement on how tight the latch clamps down, thus how tight the header seats into the seal.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So Bestop did offer some support? That’s a lot different than your claim in first post.

And pressing your finger like that will create a gap on any top. Like I said, the adjustability is on the brackets mounted on the Bronco. Not the Bestop. I can’t blame them for not including that on the instructions, you shouldn’t have to do that. But we all know how good the quality control on the Bronco assembly is. Moving the bracket 1mm can make a big improvement on how tight the latch clamps down, thus how tight the header seats into the seal.
We spoke, they asked for photos and a receipt. I was honest. I told them I wasn't the original purchaser.

My finger is in the gap, yes, I'm pressing the vehicle seal, but the seal doesn't make contact with the top at all. (Zoom in, take a look) I'm just pointing it out. And if Bestop really wanted people to be able to install their tops without their customer service, why wouldn't you mention that on some models you need to adjust the tabs? Would save them and many customers a lot of frustration, wouldn't it?

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We spoke, they asked for photos and a receipt. I was honest. I told them I wasn't the original purchaser.

My finger is in the gap, yes, I'm pressing the vehicle seal, but the seal doesn't make contact with the top at all. (Zoom in, take a look) I'm just pointing it out. And if Bestop really wanted people to be able to install their tops without their customer service, why wouldn't you mention that on some models you need to adjust the tabs? Would save them and many customers a lot of frustration, wouldn't it?
I don’t know if they are aware of the potential issue or not. After the first rain and finding a leak, I was able to see how the header wasn’t seated all the way down and recognize the latches weren’t catching the bracket dead center. Played with them a bit and fixed it pretty easy without contacting them.

ezapar

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak LUX
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I mean, that goes without saying. Their bimini tops are crap though.

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So I took the panels off this morning and re-installed the Sunrider.

1. Looked at the adjustability of those plates and the passenger side was all the way forward, the passenger side was MAYBE 1mm from full forward. So while there is play in those tabs, it's maybe 3mm tops. Moving the tabs full forward OR full backward has ZERO impact on how the header secures.
2. On the drivers side the rivets clear, but not on the passengers side, they strike, this could be a limiting factor in how the top sits and its the side with the really bad leak so its suspect.
3. As far as play in the top frame prior to tightening, its a bout a 3mm adjustment, and neither all the way forward OR all the way back make any difference. Either way I placed a shot of paper in the gap, closed and latched the top and VOILA! the paper slides out with zero restrictions.

In my last communication to our friends at @Bestop_Team , they asked for a photo of......... Well I dont know. You see, Their last email to me looked like the image below. Not super helpful. The good news is if you immediately reply back, they still dont get back to you for a day or so. They have no continuity of service, and I'd guess that most of the CSR's on the phone have never installed one of these. if they have, im guessing they leak too.

So the top is going back, I was willing to pay for new seals (the rear seal on the top had been compressed and isn't puffy enough).

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 9.47.31 AM.png

DBX2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco; '23 F150 reg cab 5.0, custom interior
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Just an add'l note re: Bestop Sunrider top. On our 2D, we had some initial issues with the lock/unlock not working easily. In fact, I considered doing mods on the plates, moving the brackets, etc. But with add'l muscle, repeated trials, in our case, it was the weatherstripping that was just initially too stiff. After just a few days, it works beautifully, doesn't leak/pose add'l noise. The twill looks as good as on a high-end convertible car. **We had to contact customer service re: missing hardware. Within 72 hours, had what we needed, apologies and pleasant staff to work with.
Sponsored