Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you buy a 2nd hand Bestop product you have no warranty. They will not help you troubleshoot and they will not honor the warranty.

So it has to be a great deal or you might be in for some disappointment. I know they are a site supporter, but imagine if Ford said warranty is only for the initial buyer, and the Bronco is far more complex than a soft top.

PNG image.png
Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to say that's pretty standard for most manufacturers. Comparing to a vehicle is not apples to apples.

What kind of problem are you having?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's pretty much the deal for buying anything used.

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It’s leaking pretty badly at the A pillars. The gap up front is insane. I was going to add some weatherstripping but since have decided that I’m not going to put it on, the risk of leaking is too much to consider leaving it on.

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s leaking pretty badly at the A pillars. The gap up front is insane. I was going to add some weatherstripping but since have decided that I’m not going to put it on, the risk of leaking is too much to consider leaving it on.
Which product are you referring to? Sunrider? Full top?

Did the original owner have issues and dump it?

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Which product are you referring to? Sunrider? Full top?

Did the original owner have issues and dump it?
Yes the sun-rider. The original owner is taking it back but never had any issues. I am amazed that people use it seasonally, and take it off without reinstalling issues.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes the sun-rider. The original owner is taking it back but never had any issues. I am amazed that people use it seasonally, and take it off without reinstalling issues.
My trektop has been off and on a few times. Not really a big deal but this last time I feel like I have significantly more wind noise in the front center. Doesn't leak but still annoying. That said you mean Bestop has no advice or will sell replacement rubber gaskets or any parts to you? Was it installed right? I don't know about the sunrider but if you DIY install the Trektop it is a process out of the box.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The original owner had no issues, but you think it is a warranty problem that you do?

I have a Skyrider and Trektop, and can tell you the front seal is either a Bronco or installation problem and not the top. The tolerance on the Bestop header is very tight, and the Bronco brackets on the roll cage have a lot of play. I had to adjust the brackets the latches mate to, to get a nice tight seal. Leaked a bit at first.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The original owner had no issues, but you think it is a warranty problem that you do?

I have a Skyrider and Trektop, and can tell you the front seal is either a Bronco or installation problem and not the top. The tolerance on the Bestop header is very tight, and the Bronco brackets on the roll cage have a lot of play. I had to adjust the brackets the latches mate to, to get a nice tight seal. Leaked a bit at first.
So I watched a few videos, stalked threads on this and other bronco forums and have to tell you the install is simple, I've done it twice already.

And yes I would believe a 6 month old top that came off another owner (who claims it never leaked, as did the company that sold it to him and installed it, who just took his hard top off for a full soft top) I think its possible that for the most part they don't leak. But looking around on the inter webs tells me a different story. I didn't come here to bash the seller or even Bestop. I came here so others can understand that if they were to buy a used accessory from this manufacturer, you're on your own. Stated that to begin with.

Personally, I think the idea behind this top is BRILLIANT, it's really the best of both worlds. But not without its drawbacks. Bestop wanted me to re-install the top and take video of it leaking. I told them where it was leaking from, Side window defroster vents, bottom of the dash, but they wanted me to do that again. How comfortable would you be with pouring water into that again, on purpose? Like I said they've been around a while, and this product is a great idea, I wish it worked out on my vehicle.

You mentioned adjusting the brackets, it's interesting because their directions are very simple, give no way to check your work, and make no mention of any adjustability whatsoever. If it's a matter of adjusting brackets wouldn't they say that? Wouldn't you have some video somewhere?

The seller is taking it back, I am sure he's not happy, and I know I am not. I'll file this under seemed like a good idea at the time.

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Clearly, there's a gap. Because of the back bracket inside, there's no real adjustability. With a gap like that, that amount of adjustability simply doesn't exist.

Others have added seals and found some workarounds, but I dont think you should have to, maybe im stubborn, but this left me dumbfounded.

IMG_8855.jpeg

OP
OP
Jeffola

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You probably should have labeled this “buyer beware of xxxxxxx” whoever dumped this on you without telling you if it had problems
Nah, he's a decent guy and is taking it back. I do disagree with @kodiakisland , respectfully, I'd say more things are sold with a one year warranty than a warranty just to the original purchaser. Maybe it's like Tommy Boy and I feel good about the warranty fairy! Just know if you decide to do something like this, you aren't covered, thats all.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nah, he's a decent guy and is taking it back. I do disagree with @kodiakisland , respectfully, I'd say more things are sold with a one year warranty than a warranty just to the original purchaser. Maybe it's like Tommy Boy and I feel good about the warranty fairy! Just know if you decide to do something like this, you aren't covered, thats all.

You can disagree with ME all you want, it won't increase your chances of getting warranty work on second hand items though.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t feel bad, they don’t take care of the customers that but there product either. I bought their canvas shade top via Ford options. The metal support suffered a broken plastic insert. Multiple communication attempts that included photos of the broken part resulted in almost nothing. I say almost because after a year they sent me a metal part that has nothing to do with the broken part in question.
Sponsored