Sponsored

Calling all Manual Transmission owners that have done some wiring -- any good way to get through firewall in to the engine?

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will start out by saying I have done a bunch of my own wiring since I took possession of my Bronco about 10 months ago. I have installed bumper fogs, ditch lights, and chase lights and have run them all to Aux switches using the wiring under the hood. As you know, none of that wiring requires taking wires from inside the cab and getting them outside to the engine bay. However, I have one or two items that I need to get wires out of the cab, through the firewall and in to the engine bay. As you probably know, the automatic transmission has a grommet to go through to get their, but the MT has a clutch pedal there and no grommet.

Here is the ask, have any of you found a semi decent way to get through the firewall in to the engine? I also wired an antennae for a Midland radio, but to get that out of the cab I went down along the door sill, in to the back seat and down through a rubber grommet in the floor under the matting that also has my RSE wires running through it for my steps. It is definitely not ideal to do that and in order to do that, any wiring needs to be about 18' long. Again, not ideal.
Any assistance from those that have a good solution would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Alex
Sponsored

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay thank you. I recall this post I think, kind of have to be a contortionist to get up there, but I am sure I can make it happen. What did you poke through with?
Thanks again.
I used a small screwdriver. And yes it was harder than it should have been and I did get bloody knuckles.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I should have used a stiff rod instead of a screwdriver that has a handle. I am sure others with more experience can give you better suggestions on what to use.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used a small screwdriver. And yes it was harder than it should have been and I did get bloody knuckles.
Thanks, I have looked at that grommet a half a dozen times because I really wanted to fish my Midland antennae cable through there and ultimately, as I mentioned, took it another route. Will revisit for this next project. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I should have used a stiff rod instead of a screwdriver that has a handle. I am sure others with more experience can give you better suggestions on what to use.
Noted.

72F262

Big Bend
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BB 2D, '18 GT350, '72 F250 2wd, '72 Mach 1 CJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I used the same spot for my sub power wire (tot at 12 o'clock). Used a awl to poke the hole then a hanger wire to pull the power wire through. Yes, not a great location but it worked well.

OP
OP
Herbie

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used the same spot for my sub power wire (tot at 12 o'clock). Used a awl to poke the hole then a hanger wire to pull the power wire through. Yes, not a great location but it worked well.
Thank you for the help.

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've done this plenty of time and the easiest way is wit a tube sharpened at an angle and a handle or some wraps of tape on the other end.
I used a old carbon arrow,poke any grommet or seal ,feed wire thru tube and pull tube out.
If not mistaken on the 2.3 manual transmission there is some grommets on pass side firewall.

Sponsored

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
I will start out by saying I have done a bunch of my own wiring since I took possession of my Bronco about 10 months ago. I have installed bumper fogs, ditch lights, and chase lights and have run them all to Aux switches using the wiring under the hood. As you know, none of that wiring requires taking wires from inside the cab and getting them outside to the engine bay. However, I have one or two items that I need to get wires out of the cab, through the firewall and in to the engine bay. As you probably know, the automatic transmission has a grommet to go through to get their, but the MT has a clutch pedal there and no grommet.

Here is the ask, have any of you found a semi decent way to get through the firewall in to the engine? I also wired an antennae for a Midland radio, but to get that out of the cab I went down along the door sill, in to the back seat and down through a rubber grommet in the floor under the matting that also has my RSE wires running through it for my steps. It is definitely not ideal to do that and in order to do that, any wiring needs to be about 18' long. Again, not ideal.
Any assistance from those that have a good solution would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Alex
Get a drill bit of the size you need. S grommet and some RTV caulk. Find a clear spot and drill a hole. Easy...that's the way Ford does it. I've drilled lot of holes in brand new cars and trucks. It's fun.
Paul

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How i do it is i take a tube metal plastic whatever i used an old carbon arrow.
Sharpen one end like a hypodermic needle,find one of the big grommets usually steering ,brake,or harness and poke it thru.
Then feed wire thru tube and volia.
Sponsored