Sponsored

Can This 2-Door Hard Top Plate be Safely Removed and Reinstalled?

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Going to try the scary adventure to move my hardtop vertically on this cart that I’ve just purchased to try and get it through a doorway.

However, it’s looking like I’m going to have to somehow take these two plates off of the hardtop first if I want to use the cart which use torque screws in order to have it set properly on this cart.

Can anyone tell me if this plate is meant to be taken off with these torque screws? I don’t want to worry about cracking anything, stripping any plastic threads when taking off/putting back, Loctite issues, etc. has anyone ever tried removing these plates and putting them back on the MIC?

IMG_3924.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Secondly if it can be taken off what are the torque specs when putting back? Very important.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
trace a line around it with a sharpie to realign then just do german torque. too much and it could crack tho.
Thanks. What is German torque?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have you actually removed this?

Dialtone

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend Mid
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You might get by with doing this once, maybe twice but long term I'd seriously avoid many repetitions. Even if there's a molded in nut, which I highly doubt given Ford's reputation on build quality of the roof components, it would still be a nut molded in to crappy plastic.

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You might get by with doing this once, maybe twice but long term I'd seriously avoid many repetitions. Even if there's a molded in nut, which I highly doubt given Ford's reputation on build quality of the roof components, it would still be a nut molded in to crappy plastic.
This is exactly my concern and this will NEVER be done more than once. That being said I’m going to not remove the plate and instead try to use this cart I bought to hopefully maneuver through the doorway. But it’s going to be resting heavily then on soley these two plates with slight balance on the other corners.

Man I pray this works.

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3924.jpeg

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is exactly my concern and this will NEVER be done more than once. That being said I’m going to not remove the plate and instead try to use this cart I bought to hopefully maneuver through the doorway. But it’s going to be resting heavily then on soley these two plates with slight balance on the other corners.

Man I pray this works.

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3924.jpeg
This only needs to work once to get it out of two door ways (don’t ask). Then it will be stored in a garage with hoist. Thoughts on if those two plates can support the weight to move 200 feet to my garage?

Sponsored

Sunday Money

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
This only needs to work once to get it out of two door ways (don’t ask). Then it will be stored in a garage with hoist. Thoughts on if those two plates can support the weight to move 200 feet to my garage?
Nope, gotta ask... How exactly is getting the hardtop OUT of its current space different than how you got it INTO the space originally without removing hardware?

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nope, gotta ask... How exactly is getting the hardtop OUT of its current space different than how you got it INTO the space originally without removing hardware?
Somehow (and I don’t know how) I managed with my 70 year old father to twist/titl and tip it through two doorways - no cart - without damage. I have no idea what steps we took or how me managed to do it. I feel like it was pure luck.

What I do know is that I felt defeated after getting in the room (had to have it inside as no room in garage currently). Now that I’m building a hoist and modifying my garage I need to safely get it out and I’m not even going to try that manual twist/tilt and pray method to get through two doorways.

Hence the cart I bought above. Sole
Purpose = get it safely out of this room into the garage for the new hoist.

I’m just hoping those plates can bear the brunt of the weight to get it there. Then. I’ll be selling the cart.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco Can This 2-Door Hard Top Plate be Safely Removed and Reinstalled? 1716661306690-j6