Sponsored

Could this be modified to be a hard top lift?

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe if you use two, or risk a multi thousand dollar top to save a few bucks.
That price is a two pack. It just really think it doesn’t take a $200 thing to lift a top.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That price is a two pack. It just really think it doesn’t take a $200 thing to lift a top.
Whatever works for you, I just find sometimes people loose sight of paying for a $40K-$60K Bronco and then cheap out on a few hundred dollars of protection.

Wraithracing

Outer Banks
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't have pictures to post, but can probably get some later this week. I fabricated a mount that slide onto the top arm of a Harbor Freight lift for my father in law many years ago to help in removing his camper shell. He uses the shell during the winter and then takes it off during RV season. I designed the lift to slide under the back window and then we had 4 posts that we raised into the high position with some rubber cushions mounted on top that would rest against the camper shell. Then we would use the jack to lift the shell off the truck and drive the truck out from under the lift. We had straps that allowed us to anchor the camper shell to the lift for rolling around and my father in law stored it in the garage on the lift itself with a 4x4 under the top tube to prevent it from lowering during storage. He used it for 15 years until he bought a new 2019 and didn't want to spend the money on a new camper shell. The mount just slides on and off the top tube and uses a bolt through the top tube just like the original hook did to secure it. Nothing fancy, but it worked really well and I have considered giving it a try on my Bronco, but that will have to wait until spring right now.

OP
OP
Shacky4

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't have pictures to post, but can probably get some later this week. I fabricated a mount that slide onto the top arm of a Harbor Freight lift for my father in law many years ago to help in removing his camper shell. He uses the shell during the winter and then takes it off during RV season. I designed the lift to slide under the back window and then we had 4 posts that we raised into the high position with some rubber cushions mounted on top that would rest against the camper shell. Then we would use the jack to lift the shell off the truck and drive the truck out from under the lift. We had straps that allowed us to anchor the camper shell to the lift for rolling around and my father in law stored it in the garage on the lift itself with a 4x4 under the top tube to prevent it from lowering during storage. He used it for 15 years until he bought a new 2019 and didn't want to spend the money on a new camper shell. The mount just slides on and off the top tube and uses a bolt through the top tube just like the original hook did to secure it. Nothing fancy, but it worked really well and I have considered giving it a try on my Bronco, but that will have to wait until spring right now.
I'm curious about this. A mount would obviously have to be fabricated to be the proper height and securely hold it while appropriately disturbing the weight. But the hoist could clearly do it and is in a configuration that lends itself to adding on a mount. I guess I was a little surprised at the naysayers. If you could snap a photo, I would love to see it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Shacky4

Shacky4

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That'd leave indentations in your soundproofing in the top. Depends on what you can live with

I need to see the top in person, but I'll probably do what i did last time and suspend it from ceiling with chains to wood boards underneath.

I like wood boards because then there's is no flex as you do with just straps. The more you can make it so it's as if it is sitting on the ground(or still on bronco) the better

Then i just park in garage with my hood under the top

A lot will depend on your space and abilities.

But if you cant reinvent the wheel, and i don't think you should, just get the harkin and call it a day
This particular mod looks pretty rough to me. Not something I would do. But, I do admire the ingenuity to find something that works and I just wanted to post the photo to show that it can be done. BTW, this fellow used a drywall hoist, the engine hoist looks more suited for the job to me.

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Can put up a cheap hoist that way you dont have to have all the cables and ropes hanging from your ceiling when the top is not in it.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The engine hoists / cherry pickers aren't going to work. I have two of them for pulling engines etc and have even used them to remove the body of a full size Bronco from the frame by myself. The booms on most engine hoists will not extend enough to remove a hard top from a Bronco. IF it did, the problem would be the angle the top would come off at - tilting etc.

I've helped setup electric hoist setups for hard tops and other things and they are easy to use - and I understand people talking about trying to save hundreds on an $40K+ vehicle - but I restored a '95 Bronco (my adult son daily drives it) and I spent maybe 30 minutes building the following setup to both remove / store and reinstall the hardtop on the Bronco.

Keep in mind the hard top for the 95 Bronco is wider, longer and @ 160lbs or so. The rear cap for the new Bronco is @ 80lbs.

I'll post pictures - but a description might help, as it's actually REALLY easy to both remove / reinstall the larger Bronco top with this setup by myself and takes only a few minutes.

To remove - Take the two 2x4's into the interior of the Bronco through the rear. Unbolt the top then lift the front end of the top and slide the board between the body and the top. Then repeat for the rear. Crawl out, hook the straps to the u bolts, ratchet up one side a few inches, repeat on the other side, then simply drive out from under the top.

As for stability - I stored that top in my garage for almost a year while I was restoring the Bronco. I parked my '19 Mustang GT under it every day - zero issues.

Ford Bronco Could this be modified to be a hard top lift? hardtop storage1

Ford Bronco Could this be modified to be a hard top lift? hardtop storage2

Ford Bronco Could this be modified to be a hard top lift? Inkedhardtop storage3

Ford Bronco Could this be modified to be a hard top lift? hardtop storage4

Hope this helps.

feeble

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1977 Cobra II Monroe Handler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Although not terribly efficient from a space or cost perspective (unless you already have one), because the top is so much lighter than the rated capacity of the crane, the engine hoist can be used if the boom is extended.

EDIT: Just had an idea, I'll try to design something up if I have time.

EDIT 2: Jeep Lifts and Hoists: Removing and Storing Hardtops - eBay Motors Blog

Last edited:

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hope this helps.
It will help some and is similar to how I stores my Jeep top, however, the OP is looking for a free standing solutions and doesn't want anything hanging from the rafters.

Depending on OP's level of fabrication skills the engine hoist can be made to work. Either by permanently bolting the lower booms onto the rear wall of the garage so the upper boom is high enough to drive underneath and then scrap the base and casters.

Or, by replacing the lower boom with a 6 or 7ft section to raise the height of the upper boom so you could drive underneath. This would retain the ability to roll it around if need be.

After that is is just some rigging to secure the top and there are plenty of examples of how to do that.

The top only needs to be lifted enough to clear the guide pins and whatever rigging is used so lifting it an inch is probably the minimum requirement and easily doable with one of the above suggestions.

Ford Bronco Could this be modified to be a hard top lift? 1651325842582

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My bad.
I have a detached 2 car garage and a shop. No way I'd have room for a freestanding / floor standing rig like that.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The engine hoists / cherry pickers aren't going to work. I have two of them for pulling engines etc and have even used them to remove the body of a full size Bronco from the frame by myself. The booms on most engine hoists will not extend enough to remove a hard top from a Bronco. IF it did, the problem would be the angle the top would come off at - tilting etc.

I've helped setup electric hoist setups for hard tops and other things and they are easy to use - and I understand people talking about trying to save hundreds on an $40K+ vehicle - but I restored a '95 Bronco (my adult son daily drives it) and I spent maybe 30 minutes building the following setup to both remove / store and reinstall the hardtop on the Bronco.

Keep in mind the hard top for the 95 Bronco is wider, longer and @ 160lbs or so. The rear cap for the new Bronco is @ 80lbs.

I'll post pictures - but a description might help, as it's actually REALLY easy to both remove / reinstall the larger Bronco top with this setup by myself and takes only a few minutes.

To remove - Take the two 2x4's into the interior of the Bronco through the rear. Unbolt the top then lift the front end of the top and slide the board between the body and the top. Then repeat for the rear. Crawl out, hook the straps to the u bolts, ratchet up one side a few inches, repeat on the other side, then simply drive out from under the top.

As for stability - I stored that top in my garage for almost a year while I was restoring the Bronco. I parked my '19 Mustang GT under it every day - zero issues.

Hope this helps.
While this may work on your FSB, how would this work with the forward 2x4 brace and the roll bar? The rear 2x4 brace could be positioned (precariously) outside of the rollbar.

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

While this may work on your FSB, how would this work with the forward 2x4 brace and the roll bar? The rear 2x4 brace could be positioned (precariously) outside of the rollbar.

Man - I totally spaced out. Nice point out (sad you had to - I guess I hadn't had enough caffeine) LOL - so my post was pretty much useless.

Regardless I'm going to be figuring out something that allows my wife to remove the top essentially by herself, so I'll share as I start tinkering - thinking electric trailer winch / hoist at this point.