Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just wanted to share my experience I had with installing my “homemade” hard top hoist. I ran into a few problems so I thought id make a short thread to help others who have the same agenda as me. A somewhat cheap lift that’s quick and easy.

i ordered an $80 electric Hoist on amazon and a couple 10’ Straps for $30. The rest of the stuff I used I had laying around my shop at work.

i originally mounted it on the ceiling of my garage. It would have worked fine but it was too low for my liking. I wanted my bronco to easily fit underneath with no worries about hitting The top when I backed in so I ended up mounting it in the attic. It gave me the height I needed and looked cleaner as well.

my main point of this thread is the lifting part. With a single point lift like this it’s critical that you find the balance point of the top. I found out the hard way the first time I lifted the top off lol. It was all over the place. I attached some pictures to show the balance point of the two door top. I’m sure the four door will be different.

in the end it all worked out great. I’ve practiced a couple times and It takes about 20 min are so to remove the top. Im sure I’ll cut that time down once get more accustomed to the system. Reinstalling is fairly simple as well. I don’t even have to really worry about getting the bronco perfectly centered as there’s plenty of swing with the lift set up the way it is. I just lower slowly and line the pins up and it falls right Into place.

anyway I hope this helps anyone hoping to have a nice lift and not spend $500-$600. It’s fairly simple but hey it works! And for about $100 you can’t beat it.

99730B34-CC6B-4EE8-A426-3B1A2355F9F0.jpeg

390F2A2E-B223-4293-A8E2-2564F6F07B60.jpeg

AF1E5FEC-DAAF-4CCA-9FFE-6A23FD8CD49C.jpeg

B397BE53-49D2-43CB-A884-202EBA6F58FF.jpeg

B1DC5419-E8D2-4069-AE26-A0108D2C024D.jpeg

B65CD41E-53D0-4EBD-A319-5B89EEC5ECD4.jpeg
Do you think 10' straps with D rings will be enough to simply attach to the hoist hook?
Sponsored

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don’t think they’d would stretch far enough to meet in the middle
I ended up buying 10 foot straps with an 11" loop, so total of around 11'. Hopefully that will be enough to hook up and center weight.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just wanted to share my experience I had with installing my “homemade” hard top hoist. I ran into a few problems so I thought id make a short thread to help others who have the same agenda as me. A somewhat cheap lift that’s quick and easy.

i ordered an $80 electric Hoist on amazon and a couple 10’ Straps for $30. The rest of the stuff I used I had laying around my shop at work.

i originally mounted it on the ceiling of my garage. It would have worked fine but it was too low for my liking. I wanted my bronco to easily fit underneath with no worries about hitting The top when I backed in so I ended up mounting it in the attic. It gave me the height I needed and looked cleaner as well.

my main point of this thread is the lifting part. With a single point lift like this it’s critical that you find the balance point of the top. I found out the hard way the first time I lifted the top off lol. It was all over the place. I attached some pictures to show the balance point of the two door top. I’m sure the four door will be different.

in the end it all worked out great. I’ve practiced a couple times and It takes about 20 min are so to remove the top. Im sure I’ll cut that time down once get more accustomed to the system. Reinstalling is fairly simple as well. I don’t even have to really worry about getting the bronco perfectly centered as there’s plenty of swing with the lift set up the way it is. I just lower slowly and line the pins up and it falls right Into place.

anyway I hope this helps anyone hoping to have a nice lift and not spend $500-$600. It’s fairly simple but hey it works! And for about $100 you can’t beat it.

99730B34-CC6B-4EE8-A426-3B1A2355F9F0.jpeg

390F2A2E-B223-4293-A8E2-2564F6F07B60.jpeg

AF1E5FEC-DAAF-4CCA-9FFE-6A23FD8CD49C.jpeg

B397BE53-49D2-43CB-A884-202EBA6F58FF.jpeg

B1DC5419-E8D2-4069-AE26-A0108D2C024D.jpeg

B65CD41E-53D0-4EBD-A319-5B89EEC5ECD4.jpeg
So the 10' straps definitely are too short. But I see how you have it rigged. What size is the hanging strap with the D ring on each end? Then you attach the 10' straps to that strap with carabina, correct?

Sponsored
OP
OP
cmcbronco

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
So the 10' straps definitely are too short. But I see how you have it rigged. What size is the hanging strap with the D ring on each end? Then you attach the 10' straps to that strap with carabina, correct?
The middle strap is 3’ and it came with the hoist. And yea the 10’ are connected with a carabiner and I loop the 3’ strap through them.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The middle strap is 3’ and it came with the hoist. And yea the 10’ are connected with a carabiner and I loop the 3’ strap through them.
Thanks for the assist. Do you put anything in the corners to protect seals under top near window corners? Any issues with compression of seals when storing?

OP
OP
cmcbronco

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for the assist. Do you put anything in the corners to protect seals under top near window corners? Any issues with compression of seals when storing?
Seals seem fine so far but the longest I’ve left it up has been only a couple of weeks. I like to throw the top back on for washing. I did stick some foam at the contact points to make myself feel better though. You can use about anything. The stuff I used came from a 2” pvc wall termination kit but a pool noodle would probably work fine too. Just cut to length then slit it open.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Seals seem fine so far but the longest I’ve left it up has been only a couple of weeks. I like to throw the top back on for washing. I did stick some foam at the contact points to make myself feel better though. You can use about anything. The stuff I used came from a 2” pvc wall termination kit but a pool noodle would probably work fine too. Just cut to length then slit it open.
Your system works like a charm. It took a little bit of adjusting the first time hooking up straps, but once I got it all together, lifted, and then dropped to floor it all worked perfectly. I adjusted the straps while on the floor and raised almost perfectly even. Putting back on the top was a breeze. Thanks for all the assistance. My only change may be the size of carabina. I used 3.5" but may go to 4". Finally topless!

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I finally got Hoist set up complete. Here's a few pics in case someone wants something similar. Thanks to cmcbronco for the strap set up.

Here's the completed set up. Basic wireless Pro Winch hoist doubled up for 440lb rating.
(2) 2"x6"x28" pieces affixed to ceiling joist 24" off center with (12) 5/16" x 4" Structural Screws.
(1) 24" 12-gauge Strut Bar attached to 2"x6"'s with (4) 3" Lag Screws.
I had to cram flat washers' in-between brackets to pick up the slack and ensure a tight fit to bar.

Between the structural screws and lag screws, I could probably pick up the Bronco, lol. Slightly overkill, but safe!!!

Ford Bronco "Homemade" hard top lift tips! 1103221524

The strap system is the same as yours. (1) 36" Tow Strap with D ring connectors and (2) 10' Lift Slings all connected with (2) 3.5" Carabinas.

Ford Bronco "Homemade" hard top lift tips! 1114221052_HDR

Ford Bronco "Homemade" hard top lift tips! 1114221044

Ford Bronco "Homemade" hard top lift tips! 1114221054a

I drop it on a simple dolly and roll into the corner of garage for space.

Ford Bronco "Homemade" hard top lift tips! 1114221043

Simple, easy and quick. The floor is marked with 4 pieces of red tape for vehicle placement when setting top back on.

Sponsored

Smiller

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cj7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes i do park under it, plenty of clearance. I'm 6ft and I can walk under it too. I can pull and reinstall all by my not-small self.

I use some bits of 2x4 to initially prop it up off the sills, then route the straps thru to the cam buckles, insert the cardboard corner protectors between the straps and the roof edges, and use a sort of seesaw technique to draw it up off the truck.

Bit tricky, have to be careful of roll cage paint, but I have it down to a science after the first few rounds
Hey, I like that simple idea I ordered some ratchet style rope straps instead, and eyebolts and found some of that edge protector cardboard at work.
My question though…is how do you get around rollbar?
Specially, if you’re putting the straps across, do you slide back the shell a little bit, then put the rear strap on, crank it up a bit…drive forward a little bit and
Slide it a little at a time to clear the roll bar in the back? and then add the front strap?
Thanks Rick

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have 10’ ceilings
How much height did you gain when you changed from ceiling mounted to attic mounted? I'm planning on a ceiling mounted, but afraid I may be too low. I have a 9' garage ceiling. If it's too low, I'll have to cut into the ceiling to mount it above (i don't have a garage attic, but have the space above the ceiling to do it). Thank you.

mclaffer

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla model 3 and Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

great post and useful info. thank you!

Bronkers

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey, I like that simple idea I ordered some ratchet style rope straps instead, and eyebolts and found some of that edge protector cardboard at work.
My question though…is how do you get around rollbar?
Specially, if you’re putting the straps across, do you slide back the shell a little bit, then put the rear strap on, crank it up a bit…drive forward a little bit and
Slide it a little at a time to clear the roll bar in the back? and then add the front strap?
Thanks Rick
I hereby indemnify myself with the 'ol YMMV...don't try this at home...

Double check my steps; do NOT move the truck at all, until it's 100% clear of the cage, hanging ~LEVEL, and out of harm's way.

You need 2 straps, 15-20ft/each. NOTE: these products are typically NOT designed for overhead lifting.

After boosting canopy up on 4 spacers of the same thickness to get it off the body, you 'weave' ONLY the front strap from one eyebolt, down under one side of canopy, up OVER BOTH sides of cage, down under opposite side of canopy, and back up to your other eyebolt.

(The rear strap runs more simply under the rear of the canopy, just aft of where the cage dies into the bodywork)

If you got true ratchet style straps/ropes it's going to take you f o r e v e r. Look at cambuckle straps. They're rated for alot more (static/not lifting load...) than the canopy weighs and the strap can be pulled thru the buckle rather than yarding back and forth on a ratchet handle for an hour. The cams should not fail under normal use and you'll know it's time for new when the straps start getting real fuzzy

Good luck, keep your head out from underneath it, and report back with your progress!
Sponsored