Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To counter this, I have locked in a deal in terms of a cash price THEN went to a credit union for the financing instead doing the dealer's options for financing. Consider offering a car as a trade in last, with the leverage that you are shopping that car trade in value at a different dealer too.
did you do this all in one day?
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

What square does the Trucoat go in?

Aside from Carvana... This is more in terms of trading in to a dealer v. selling on your own:

Let me introduce you to a term that dealer sales staff uses, FOURSQUARE.

There are 4 elements of a deal called FOURSQUARE (some salespeople even have a worksheet to use for each customer for notes against this).
1. Price
2. Amount Down
3. Trade In
4. Monthly payment/Interest Rate

The dealer will try to figure out very early which you are most concerned with and adjust the other numbers accordingly to THEIR advantage. If you want to have the upper hand only commit to price at the beginning and try to get that to be as low as possible with a cash deal.

Psychologically, if you come in and tell the dealer that you really want to beat KBB trade in values, the dealer will "give in" and do it and you will think that that you "won". But the dealer may have given you unfavorable terms for the interest rate and/or may not have given you the full discount on price to make up for that loss.

To counter this, I have locked in a deal in terms of a cash price THEN went to a credit union for the financing instead doing the dealer's options for financing. Consider offering a car as a trade in last, with the leverage that you are shopping that car trade in value at a different dealer too.

When you know the game, you can play it...

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

did you do this all in one day?
More than one day. Not ideal for us because we don't have two different dealers to leverage against each other. It takes self control to not say everything to the dealer all at once and is this is not for impulse shoppers.

marjen

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We just sold my wife’s old 2013 Audi A4 to carvana last week. Really easy process. They gave us $2k more then best trade in offer and more than any other online service. Came and picked up car and handed us a check. It worked out very well.

bobbleheadguru

Base
First Name
Farris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What square does the Trucoat go in?
That is after the deal. It is an upsel!. If you want an extended warranty, build it into the deal and insist on a discount before you talk to the high pressure finance guy the day that you buy. I just say no to everything. You have time to buy it later if you want... Which you probably won't.

Sponsored

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I just went to carvana and got a quote for my 4Runner and they offered more than what I thought I could sell it for. Lol. I’m impressed.

OP
OP

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’m waiting for Carvana to review the paperwork i submitted yesterday. Today I decided to make phone calls about refinancing my mortgage since rates are so low.

OP
OP

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Everything is approved and i’ll be making a trip to their vending machine today to sell the mustang.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Everything is approved and i’ll be making a trip to their vending machine today to sell the mustang.
I'd am curious as to what you got for it. KBB priced my 2015 mustang 3k higher than Carvana. PM me if you don't mind?

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've not used Carvana but I did use KBB twice and it worked well. As long as you are accurate/honest about the condition, specs etc it can work well. Basically, fill out the thing online and select a nearby dealer that works with them and off you go.

Sponsored

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I sold one three years ago to Carmax. Was so stinking easy. KBB and Carmax are legitimate options for you as well. KBB has local dealers that will give you an offer immediately site unseen. They look it up via VIN, and have a disclaimer that if it is not what you say it is the offer could change.

I plan to throw my current vehicle out there and see what they will offer prior to just blindly accepting the offer from the Ford dealer when I pick up the Bronco.

OP
OP

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Carvana is 2k higher than kbb.

cal jammer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is *generally* good advice but it is important for the individual to understand the tax rules that apply in *their* locality. In some places the sales tax is applied to the sale price and not the net price; in some places (like here in Illinois) the sales tax is applied to the net (sale - trade-in). However even that has a twist as starting this year Illinois now taxes the *trade-in* if it exceeds $10K. Yeah, you paid sales taxes on that vehicle once and now you get taxed *again* if it's still worth something! Anywhoo, I digress, the point is that all tax reg's are local and the buyer/seller really needs to know how their particular taxes work for them.
Illinois is a Joke, I can't wait to move away. I know my location says STL but I'm on the IL side.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To get an acv I usually shop CarMax in my area (yes I like to know as well) to see the bottom number and then I usually sell mine on my own...
Everyone take note - the car dealer does NOT trade his own cars in...that should tell you something.

Expect the low end KBB value if you're trading it in. Lower than that if you're just selling it.
I'm sure every sales guy recites the "KBB doesn't know what real cars sell for, my guys watch the auctions and know the real value" speech in their sleep at this point when they low ball even the low end of the KBB value.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carvana gave me the lowest offer between KBB, & CarMax. & ended up selling private party to a dealer through Auto Trader in 18-hours for $6k more than Carvana offered Just last month.
Sponsored