Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I can't figure out why people put air fresheners in their car, especially one two weeks old :unsure:. They don't get rid of orders, they just mix and make it worse (in my opinion). Never use harsh chemicals inside your car, even the ones made for cars. A damp cloth is all that's needed, and if you must use more just use a mild dish soap. I learned this the hard way when cleaning adhesive residue from the dash of my daughters Toyota. Its not just Bronco!
I hang a sasquatch air freshener from my mirror....cuz...Sasquatch!
Sponsored

Mikey1287

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 72 Mach, 03 Mach, 69 Mach, 08 Harley
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This happens with guitars with Nitrocellulous paint. Many guitars, especially vintage guitars, were painted with automotive Nitro paint. Certain chemicals and rubber products will burn the Nitro. Many accessories like guitar stands wind up burning the finish.
I can confirm this. lol.
Bottom left guitar has some places in the finish just like the OP's Bronco....from someone leaving a rubber guitar strap in the case.

Anyway....back to Broncos. :ROFLMAO:

Ford Bronco Center Console Melted guitars

SMB

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can't figure out why people put air fresheners in their car, especially one two weeks old :unsure:. They don't get rid of orders, they just mix and make it worse (in my opinion). Never use harsh chemicals inside your car, even the ones made for cars. A damp cloth is all that's needed, and if you must use more just use a mild dish soap. I learned this the hard way when cleaning adhesive residue from the dash of my daughters Toyota. Its not just Bronco!
Definitely not my forte, so probably shouldn't listen to me.

BUT... a damp cloth followed by with 303 Protectant is what I use. The plastics in my car usually aren't that bad, just dusty more than anything else and therefore doesn't need any cleaning chemicals. But I have used Adam's Polishes interior cleaner in the past with good results to fix my stupidity (like when I attempted to balance a coffee mug on the dashboard).
Thank you two! Damp cloth it is.

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm just wondering how this happens? They're designed to be out in direct sunlight, but an air freshener melts the interior?

That and the cleaners on the dashboard make me not want to touch the interior with anything...

Yes...be very careful with getting anything on painted trim pieces - many cleaners/protectants with eventually soften/damage the finish. Even excessive grease from you hands will eventually take their toll. I don't understand how it is 2024 and OEMs are still using this crap. Painted trim is EVIL.
@Ford Motor Company

Reactions: SMB

RAC-Wildtrak

Wildtrak
First Name
RAC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can confirm this. lol.
Bottom left guitar has some places in the finish just like the OP's Bronco....from someone leaving a rubber guitar strap in the case.

Anyway....back to Broncos. :ROFLMAO:

guitars.jpg
Nice harem. I've been lusting for a Gibson L6-s Midnight special similar to what I think is a Les Paul Studio hanging on your wall. The Midnight Special has a similar blonde body with a bolt on neck and maple fret board.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

B-Dot

Wildtrak
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco 4 Door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This could be another option for you. Cover up trim panels. I’ve had the silver ones over a year and they’ve been great. Kept our interior really nice!

Silver: https://amzn.to/3UROYAa

Matte Carbon Fiber: https://amzn.to/3V9ivWb

Gloss Carbon Fiber: https://amzn.to/3SOyqGj

Wood Grain: https://amzn.to/3STBaCe

Dark Wood: https://amzn.to/49oGAfz
Thanks I'll try one of these. Im still gonna order the OEM panel though just cuz its still new. But I will put this over it for future protection lol.

irishkpo

Raptor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 300ZX TT, '23 BRaptor, '24 HLE 2dr soon.....
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Chemistry lesson for anyone who is interested.

A broad class of chemicals called Terpenes are probably what caused the damage. A naturally occurring chemical that every plant creates - some plants more than others. They are part of what create the scents of Pine and Citrus fruits. They are very common in air fresheners that contain pine (Pinene) or citrus (d-Limonene) scents. Also common in some cleaning products like Pine-Sol, or Orange-Glo. They are also the dank smell of Cannabis and in a lot of your "essential oils'... Remember they are "Natural".... LOL Just not at the levels that we process them into via chemical extractions to have enough to use to make all the above.

Back in the 90s they were all the rage trying to replace cleaning solvents and CFC especially in the metal treatment industry. Plating, Powder coating, etc. Main problem with them is that they would leave a residue behind which would affect paint adhesion etc. They are good at dissolving Oils and Greases especially the Citrus based ones.

As a result of their solvent properties they like to attack some plastics. I don't know exactly what sort of plastic our interiors are made of but, d-Limonene for instance doesn't play well with polyethylene, polypropylene, natural rubber, nitrile, neoprene or Tygon.

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It doesn't actually "melt" the plastics. Well... I guess it does, but it's a chemical reaction that causes it.

Air fresheners are nasty and contain (often volatile) compounds that are designed to evaporate/disperse quickly. That evaporation is what spreads the scent around the vehicle... but the compounds trigger a chemical reaction with certain plastics. This is especially true in the summer because the heat and sunlight increases the rate of the chemical reaction.

This is why many of the hanging air fresheners (like the little trees) recommend that you... well... hang the air freshener in a way so that it doesn't come in direct contact with any plastics/vinyl/etc.

1708708642085.png

Also... random pro-tip: The Black Ice air freshener is BY FAR the most abhorrent smell on the planet. I rather lather in dog poop than smell Black Ice... it's a near-instant puke trigger for me. So if for whatever reason you want me to go away and ensure I'll never come within 10 feet of your vehicle... Black Ice. :poop:

(Unfortunately for me, it pretty much instantly disqualifies me from ever riding in taxis/Ubers/Lyfts.)
LMAO! So funny you say this about the Black Ice. When I started writing service 20-someide years ago I would staple my business card to a black ice air freshener. Customers would forget my name but they would come back and ask for the "air freshener" or "Black Ice" guy. lol. To this day I still teach my young advisors to be "memorable". It worked! lol.

But yes, back to the OP... the chemicals react with the plastic and really jack some stuff up. It isn't just Ford but all manufactures before all the "Ford's interior is junk" starts.

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But yes, back to the OP... the chemicals react with the plastic and really jack some stuff up. It isn't just Ford but all manufactures before all the "Ford's interior is junk" starts.
But Ford's interiors are junk. My warped dash top in my F150 (since Day 1) is testament.

But yeah, chemicals will wreak havoc on different plastics too....

SMB

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes...be very careful with getting anything on painted trim pieces - many cleaners/protectants with eventually soften/damage the finish. Even excessive grease from you hands will eventually take their toll. I don't understand how it is 2024 and OEMs are still using this crap. Painted trim is EVIL.
@Ford Motor Company
for REAL. I'm baffled at these issues, especially when the interiors are nothing to write home about... hoping if I ever screw it up I can get that stitched dashboard replacement for the BL.

Sponsored

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But Ford's interiors are junk. My warped dash top in my F150 (since Day 1) is testament.

But yeah, chemicals will wreak havoc on different plastics too....
I didn't deny they weren't junk, just said they were all junk lol.

Yeah, the warped dashes on the 150s were a thing, we replaced a ton of them. Would your dealer not replace it?

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Black ice! Lol

Ford Bronco Center Console Melted IMG_5997

BigBetty

Outer Banks
First Name
Fai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It doesn't actually "melt" the plastics. Well... I guess it does, but it's a chemical reaction that causes it.

Air fresheners are nasty and contain (often volatile) compounds that are designed to evaporate/disperse quickly. That evaporation is what spreads the scent around the vehicle... but the compounds trigger a chemical reaction with certain plastics. This is especially true in the summer because the heat and sunlight increases the rate of the chemical reaction.

This is why many of the hanging air fresheners (like the little trees) recommend that you... well... hang the air freshener in a way so that it doesn't come in direct contact with any plastics/vinyl/etc.

Ford Bronco Center Console Melted IMG_5997

Also... random pro-tip: The Black Ice air freshener is BY FAR the most abhorrent smell on the planet. I rather lather in dog poop than smell Black Ice... it's a near-instant puke trigger for me. So if for whatever reason you want me to go away and ensure I'll never come within 10 feet of your vehicle... Black Ice. :poop:

(Unfortunately for me, it pretty much instantly disqualifies me from ever riding in taxis/Ubers/Lyfts.)
I got a ton of the black ice in a Christmas gift basket from the office. I haven't opened any yet.

TrailRaider

Badlands
First Name
Mr. G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST, Mitsubishi Montero, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't understand how it is 2024 and OEMs are still using this crap. Painted trim is EVIL.
Because Ford wanted consistent color on the trim. Just look at the comments from people who got slightly different colors on their hard tops. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ohhh I see now, thank you for the explanation! Haha is Black Ice the reason I hate getting into half the ubers out there??!! Pro tips on pro tips today :D

Not to hijack, but real quick, are there any interior detailing products you'd recommend? I'm so scared of the reactions I've seen with Armor All.
Aerospace 303 is the best stuff I’ve found. No solvents like Armor All, not greasy like Armor All. Works great for interior plastics and vinyl. And you can pick it up at any parts store, no need to order online.
Sponsored

• Love