First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-150 Screw
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m a buy a reputable product and diy it. I’m also in the wrong business if people are getting 2k to do a Bronco.
Aye! Ain’t that right!
Sponsored

Tataman

Black Diamond
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve had Cermaic coating for 2 years now on my bronco. It definitely needs reapplying. I paid $700 or so to have the truck preppred and the coating applied. I will say it adds a little extra hardness to the paint so in theory it should add some minor protection in addition to the hydrophobic qualities. In practice my truck is still covered in chips from the garbage SAS tires and road debris. :LOL:

No pin stripes though so there’s that’s. And I do wheel it quite a bit.
I would echo your point on preventing pin stripes. I go out wheeling a lot also, and just noticed my first stripe Last month. I definitely earned that one though.

I purchased R1 coatings and would recommend. They seem to have a sale about every other week, so just wait for a good sale. It took about 5 hours to apply, but I took my time. Very satisfied with the coating. Also makes clean up a breeze as I need to hand wipe given my top is off most of the year.

Sardine

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Elantra N - 6 speed & 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ceramic coatings are overated and expensive. Just apply your own easier to apply ceramic spray and just apply it every month if you need to. I've found the easiest and best is Griot's 3 in 1. I did my whole bronco 2 door in like 10 minutes.

Also, contrary to popular belief, these coatings will never ever protect from scratches or rock chips. For that you need PPF.

The only goal for ceramic sprays or waxes is to make the paint hydrophobic so the paint keeps cleaner just from being slicker. Water and dirt will stick to it less. Some will even protect from UV rays (Griots 3 in 1 states that it does).

Doc TOC

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition Max, Fusion Hybrid, HD Road King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This could be an endless thread.

Clear Coat:
A 1.5-2 millimeter single layer of plastic (acrylic or acrylic blend) over the pigment layer on the car. Because it is atomized-sprayed and then baked, it ends up with pores (micron size potholes). Those pores collect and/or catch environmental gunk and lead to scratching of the plastic coating. And goodbye shiny new finish. BTW: coating half life = 5 years

Ceramic Coating:
Silicon dioxide (SiO2) is a thousandth of a micron (0.001 micron). It fills paint pores nicely and forms a nice transparent crystal with other SiO2 molecules. Its bivalent bond is a very strong chemical bond. Essentially you are putting a micron sized crystal sheet over your plastic layer.
Usually takes 32-48 hours to bond out of suspension, and 3-4 weeks for full crystallization.
NOTE: It does not bond with the plastic! It just covers it.

Ceramic coatings do well at:
(1) staying bonded together way longer than waxes (essentially a hard oil).
(2) resisting organic, alkaline, and mildly acidic gunk.
(3) repelling water.
(4) it's tough, but not impenetrable.

Ceramic coatings are not great at:
(1) resisting acidic gunk (water spots, battery acid, etc.).
(2) dispersing UV light.
(3) accepting automotive paint (gotta take it off).

Color conditioning:
Cleaning off what is trapped on the clear coat and smoothing out the existing large and micro scratches. It ain't just washing the car. It's the conditioning of the clear coat so the coating adheres to it. This is why shops charge the bucks. Even if you just rolled out of the factory lot, there is still gunk on the clear coat. Without conditioning, the coating integrity can be compromised.

The quality of the materials used by the manufacturer matter. Poor purity, crappy suspension, unnecessary additives all lead to bad crystallization. Use a reputable brand.

Ceramic coatings do wear. How much depends on what your Bronco experiences. Do wash your vehicle regularly. Take a picture the 3rd day after its coated. Use that to let you know when it needs touching up.

You can DIY it if you have the time to do it right. Enclosed space, right supplies, your favorite beverage and tunes. If that's not you, ask around and go get at least 3 quotes. If you see a super shiny car, ask them where they got it done. Ask the shop if they will show you a car being done. Don't be shy, it's your money, until it's not. Warranties are usually worthless. If the shop offers annual reconditioning and touch up as part of the cost, or for a reasonable per visit fee, that is worth considering.

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a place down the street from me that sells high end cars and there is a shop connected that does ceramic coatings, Ppf etc. I asked the guy about ceramic coating the bronco and he said he wouldn’t recommend it. I didn’t get into specifics of why with him though. I may try a diy kit but I normally use a ceramic spray after I wash it.
my untrained observation on the paint job is it sucks on the bronco. You look at it wrong and it scratches. There is not much of a clear coat on these things.

Sponsored

RedorBlue

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ / Ford F150/ 17 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did mine, definitely helps with washing and seems to help with brush scratching etc. Our Belgian Malinois slobbers a ton down the side on rides with the top off and makes that clean up easier... I only paid about 650 with a paint correction.

Bronco.jpg

Patrickgault

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did mine, definitely helps with washing and seems to help with brush scratching etc. Our Belgian Malinois slobbers a ton down the side on rides with the top off and makes that clean up easier... I only paid about 650 with a paint correction.

Ford Bronco Ceramic coating??  Any good?  Cost?  Opinions?? Etc Bronco
I really like the graphics on the side of your truck. Did you have them installed at a detail shop? Cost?

Sponsored

Plala

Big Bend
First Name
Pamela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
New 2 door heritage owner. Looking at ceramics coating. Any good?? Worth it(got a quote for $1400)? Just looking for thoughts, opinions, etc.

Also one was proposed me has a 9 year warranty and is transferable if the bronco gets resold. Thoughts??

Thanks.
100% worth it. Look around for pricing. I was going to pay 2000 and found a place that does it for $600. They did a great job and I remember the rep was there training the team. He told me that anything more than two coats is a waste and unnecessary. I had them do the windshield and the windows as well and the rain just beads off. I’ve had my bronco for 14 months and it still looks brand new.

Plala

Big Bend
First Name
Pamela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We asked the dealer about ceramic coating on our 4-door recently and if I remember correctly, they said around $2200.00!
I plan to check around, but was curious if the benefits of it are even worth it...
💯 worth it. Look around. I paid $600 and got the whole vehicle including windshield and windows.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
New 2 door heritage owner. Looking at ceramics coating. Any good?? Worth it(got a quote for $1400)? Just looking for thoughts, opinions, etc.

Also one was proposed me has a 9 year warranty and is transferable if the bronco gets resold. Thoughts??

Thanks.
i did my 4dr $1000
i mud and off road often nothing sticks or scratchs within reason
i also did my sas wheels
if its in the budget yes

Bosshog_tundra

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ceramic king coating did mine. It has a 9 year warranty on it they had a special going on and got it done for $700 it does transfer if I would sell it also I live on a dirt road and the dust and mud just washes off with ease now

CaptStang

Outer Banks
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Edge ST; 2015 50th Anniversary Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Thanks.

NOPE- DIY-SAVE THE $$
Sponsored