Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the new color releases I’ve seen more people discussing a bit more unique color options for their bronco and it seems wraps are a great option.

I’ve never wrapped a car before… anyone have experience they’d like to share?

I’m learning a lot from this forum about customization options. It seems black is a great option to pick if you intend to wrap. Is white also a viable option if you’re considering a light color?

what color are you considering wrapping your bronco?!
Same, no experience with wraps, but I want to retain the color of my A51 but add a metallic wrap to it (if that's a thing... anyone know?) and then finish it with a ceramic coating (love the shine, again if possible). I have a ceramic coat on our Tiguan and it's well worth the money. Have you any pictures of concepts that you're considering?
Sponsored

LikeToTurnLeft

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Transit Connect & 2007 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone seen this? I just came across it on the Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsqsjtd902RLo8peD11olPw
I’d definitely stay away from dipping. Yes, I’m biased towards wraps, obviously. But dipping is crap. Look at one up close in person and you’ll see what I’m talking about. The stuff also scratches and peels very easy. You’ll trash your new dip the first time you go off-roading. A light brush against it and it’ll peel back. There’s absolutely no durability in them. Plus it’s a massive mess to remove.

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Avery Matte Black is hands down the best looking matte black on the market. What’s great about matte black is the water beads right off it. You’ll never have water spots. And if you wax it, it won’t lose its matte finish.
3 year warranty isn’t a warranty. That doesn’t make any sense because they’re lying. The vinyl manufacturer says 3 year “durability” not “warranty”. The shop can not produce anything directly written by a manufacturer that has the word warranty. They do this because it’s a grey area. They’re saying it’ll stay matte black for 3 years. That’s it. And even then it’s only for the vertical surfaces. So your hood or any part of the surface past 10° vertical isn’t covered. So your door or fender is covered, but where it starts to turn to go horizontal, past that 10° isn’t covered. So if you wrap turns brown from sun burn because you didn’t take care of it with-in that 3 years, the manufacturer will NOT cover it. If something is seriously wrong with the vinyl, it’ll show fairly quick and yes they’ll cover it. (But won’t cover any labor) And usually if there’s a bad batch of vinyl out in the market, the manufacturer will already know and will have pulled off the market. In the almost 20 years I’ve been installing, I’ve never seen. manufacturer replace a wrap because it failed with-in 3 years. They might replace just enough vinyl to repair the area that would be bad. But that’s it. So if you’re wrap starts burning in 1.5 years. They aren’t going to do anything. Sorry to burat your bubble.

Now. If you’re wrap is failing. ie: lifting and bubbles in the recess area. That is 100% an installer problem. The manufacturer won’t do anything. So is the shop is saying they’ll cover their install for 3 years? If so, that’s great. That said, any lifting or bubbles will show up almost immediately (with-in weeks) after it’s installed. Take it back. They should fix it. Any good shop will.

Summary.
A wrap doesn’t have any sort of manufacturer warranty. What it’s saying is they guarantee the vinyl will still look good with-in 3 years. But only the vertical surfaces. If something catastrophic happens to the actual vinyl, like streaks show up from the production process they will cover that. But will not cover any labor. So be prepared to pay the labor again. I’m sure a reputable shop will work with you on that. But the standard issue of a wrap being ignored and turning burn is not covered by anyone. So don’t think that you’re driving around with something covered under a 3 year warranty and if it starts to lift and then brown you get a new wrap. That just doesn’t happen.

Pricing is about right actually. But for that price they quoted you should be getting the door jams done with it. Remember a roll of vinyl to do your car is only $560. Think $1,000 to install (what I’d charge to install/no jams). The rest is all mark up. Want to piss them off and save money? Buy the vinyl and take it to them LOL. Marking up the vinyl is where the money is.

Hope that helps answer questions. I’ll post again in a second with a link to a manufacturer so you can read it directly from them. But the shop is lying to you. It’s a selling point they’re using. The average life span people leave a wrap on their car is 3 years. They’re hoping your long gone and never come back. And with how many shady shops there are, I doubt they’ll be there in 3 years. Never use a wrap shop that is a sign shop first (Fastsigns, Signarama, etc). Use a wrap only shop. A franchise shop might wrap a 1 car a month. A good wrap only shop will have 3-4 cars in their on any given day. You can also find a certified installer on both the 3M and Avery website. They’ll say the same things I am.

Just an idea. Buy a black Bronco. Then have it completely covered in matte PPF. Now you get full paint protection. And it’s a matte finish. Win win. Though it’ll probably cost ya $8-$10k to get done.
Thanks for all the info. I’ll question them about the details. These guys only do wraps and seem to have 5-6 in there at a time. They said it would be another 1-1,500 for the jams and roll bars. They said the Jams are tough and that they could use scraps but that is more seems and doesn’t look as good. I kinda call bs on that because they likely will have plenty to do the jams with left overs, they come in full sheets right…. I know of another shop that does all the professions sports players cars, like the Vikings and t wolves etc. but I’m Leary of that too because those guys have tons of cash to through around. 8-10k is 1/6 of the price of the truck for maybe a 3 year product that will force me to hand wash…. Makes me really rethink it!!!! But it will look soooo bad ass! What to do🤯

LikeToTurnLeft

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for all the info. I’ll question them about the details. These guys only do wraps and seem to have 5-6 in there at a time. They said it would be another 1-1,500 for the jams and roll bars. They said the Jams are tough and that they could use scraps but that is more seems and doesn’t look as good. I kinda call bs on that because they likely will have plenty to do the jams with left overs, they come in full sheets right…. I know of another shop that does all the professions sports players cars, like the Vikings and t wolves etc. but I’m Leary of that too because those guys have tons of cash to through around. 8-10k is 1/6 of the price of the truck for maybe a 3 year product that will force me to hand wash…. Makes me really rethink it!!!! But it will look soooo bad ass! What to do🤯
Using a scraps is a joke!!!
A roll of color change vinyl comes in 60”X75’ and costs between $540-$560. That’s more then enough to do your entire Bronco., then remove the doors and do the door jam opening in 1 piece per side. A single roll of vinyl is 375sf. A typical vehicle is 200-300. A single roll will easily do a 4 door sedan with enough extra to do the roof and hood again. A single roll will do an entire Chevy Express panel van with extra. So a Bronco with no roof, you’ll have a TON left over. Want to save money? Buy the roll of vinyl and take it them. Just pay their labor, $1,000+. The markup is on the vinyl. Buying it yourself will save you thousands of dollars.
BTW. An extra $1,000-$1,500 for jams is about right. I charge $250 per door per jam. So a 4 door Bronco is an additional $1,000 for just jams. And I’d be at $1,000 for the body (no roof) So $2,000 total (no roof if you brought me the vinyl.

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Using a scraps is a joke!!!
A roll of color change vinyl comes in 60”X75’ and costs between $540-$560. That’s more then enough to do your entire Bronco., then remove the doors and do the door jam opening in 1 piece per side. A single roll of vinyl is 375sf. A typical vehicle is 200-300. A single roll will easily do a 4 door sedan with enough extra to do the roof and hood again. A single roll will do an entire Chevy Express panel van with extra. So a Bronco with no roof, you’ll have a TON left over. Want to save money? Buy the roll of vinyl and take it them. Just pay their labor, $1,000+. The markup is on the vinyl. Buying it yourself will save you thousands of dollars.
BTW. An extra $1,000-$1,500 for jams is about right. I charge $250 per door per jam. So a 4 door Bronco is an additional $1,000 for just jams. And I’d be at $1,000 for the body (no roof) So $2,000 total (no roof if you brought me the vinyl.
Where do you live😂. I appreciate your insight. I was thinking of leaving the jams. Do you think that will look crappy? I wonder if anyone good around me (MN) that would do the wrap if I bring it in.

Sponsored

LikeToTurnLeft

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where do you live😂. I appreciate your insight. I was thinking of leaving the jams. Do you think that will look crappy? I wonder if anyone good around me (MN) that would do the wrap if I bring it in.
What color is your Bronco and what color is the wrap? That will dictate what it’ll look like if you don’t wrap the jams. If you’re Onyx Black, it’ll look fine without the jams wrapped. If you’re Rapid Red and wrap your Bronco in Purple, it’ll look like hell. 😂

I live in Phoenix.
Where in MN. I’ll find ya someone.

Also you can buy your vinyl at MetroRestyling.com. It’s the same price we pay. Don’t pay the shops mark up.

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What color is your Bronco and what color is the wrap? That will dictate what it’ll look like if you don’t wrap the jams. If you’re Onyx Black, it’ll look fine without the jams wrapped. If you’re Rapid Red and wrap your Bronco in Purple, it’ll look like hell. 😂

I live in Phoenix.
Where in MN. I’ll find ya someone.

Also you can buy your vinyl at MetroRestyling.com. It’s the same price we pay. Don’t pay the shops mark up.
Suburb of twin cities, but in sales covering the surrounding states so if you know of a good place near MN I could make that work to. I was going to do Area 51 because I don’t like all the mic with black but reading your comments about anything other than black makes me think I may go with black. I have been driving black explorer for 7 years and wanted something a little different. Was thinking wrap matte black and peal off when it goes bad and do Area 51 for a while or vice versa…

OP
OP
MConn

MConn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Same, no experience with wraps, but I want to retain the color of my A51 but add a metallic wrap to it (if that's a thing... anyone know?) and then finish it with a ceramic coating (love the shine, again if possible). I have a ceramic coat on our Tiguan and it's well worth the money. Have you any pictures of concepts that you're considering?
I'd love to bring in some pink. I was a huge fan of the original cactus grey (rip). I found a few that are hopefully not too obnoxious

https://metrorestyling.com/collecti...-white-starlight-iridescent-vinyl-wrap-k75574

https://metrorestyling.com/collecti...ery-gloss-sand-sparkle-vinyl-wrap-sw900-255-m

https://metrorestyling.com/collecti...s-pearl-white-variochrome-vinyl-wrap-hx30bpeb

It is so much to decide! What about you?

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oxford White is good looking.
There’s many colors to choose from, vinyl wise, that are in that same super light/bright color range. Plus toss in finishes. Gloss, Matte, Satin, Metallic, Glitter. And you have lots of options. Though you’ll regret matte white within hours of picking it up from the wrap shop. Matte white gets dirty super quick and it stains. If you’re dead set on wrapping and don’t love one particular color. Black is the best to wrap. You can always make it any color you want m, as often as you want, and it’ll look awesome. You literally have hundred of colors and finishes to choose from. Change every year if you want. Possibilities are endless. You’re not limited like you are with white paint.

BTW. We’re doing Gloss Light Pistachio. I’ll then do the roll bar, handles and grill gloss white for the nostalgic look. See pic of Gloss Light Pistachio (it’s a light/pastel green). Knowing me I’ll change it in a year. LOL Been doing this a long time, and there isn’t a color I truly love to keep. So I buy my cars black.
E1E00EE4-DFF5-40D8-AC37-A41E585C18A4.jpeg
Hey, thats cactus gray.

LikeToTurnLeft

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Suburb of twin cities, but in sales covering the surrounding states so if you know of a good place near MN I could make that work to. I was going to do Area 51 because I don’t like all the mic with black but reading your comments about anything other than black makes me think I may go with black. I have been driving black explorer for 7 years and wanted something a little different. Was thinking wrap matte black and peal off when it goes bad and do Area 51 for a while or vice versa…
You willing to drive to Wausau, WI. (Looks about 2:45 away from Twin Cities) I have a buddy with a shop there. I’ve actually been there a couple times to help him out when he’s really busy.. Great guy. Great installer. Ton of wrap installer certifications. And I know for a fact he’s insured. He’s even won a couple live wrap contests. Definitely can’t go wrong and I’d even put my name behind his work.

Sponsored

LikeToTurnLeft

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd love to bring in some pink. I was a huge fan of the original cactus grey (rip). I found a few that are hopefully not too obnoxious

https://metrorestyling.com/collecti...-white-starlight-iridescent-vinyl-wrap-k75574

https://metrorestyling.com/collecti...ery-gloss-sand-sparkle-vinyl-wrap-sw900-255-m

https://metrorestyling.com/collecti...s-pearl-white-variochrome-vinyl-wrap-hx30bpeb

It is so much to decide! What about you?
All of those won’t look too bad with a White base paint because they’re all in the same general family of color range. I’ll say from experience, a white base and pink wrap looks like hell. You won’t be happy….and neither will the installer. Ton of work to hide the white. And even then you’ll never completely get rid of it.

OP
OP
MConn

MConn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All of those won’t look too bad with a White base paint because they’re all in the same general family of color range. I’ll say from experience, a white base and pink wrap looks like hell. You won’t be happy….and neither will the installer. Ton of work to hide the white. And even then you’ll never completely get rid of it.
So if I go with something subtle and use a good shop, white can work but if I lean more into the pink I should buy black?

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is great info and the best prices I've found on the 3M and Avery wrap.
Thank you for this link.

And thank you for the brutal honesty I see you handing out about quality, pricing, DIY, etc.

It is rare anyone lets the general public inside their craft on the costs and such like you do.
It is what I do as well on the custom painting side, and my peers think I am crazy for it (I have lost some "friends" due to my desire to be up front and honest with everyone). They like to hide what material cost, hope no one does any homework, and upcharge all of the materials another 100-200%.

And BTW, I ordered a few 5' long pieces of several of their products just now to play around with, wrap a few things. Thanks again for the link. I could spend hours on there dreaming up wallet-draining projects.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does vinyl react to the branch pin-stripe effect?

I think there are three options by the sounds of it…
- Add nothing and get scratches in the paint repaired professionally periodically (every few years or before selling)
- Vinyl wrap and replace periodically and remove before selling
- PPF wrap and not worry much about maintaining it.

What is the most economical if you own for 5-10 years?
You might want to check this out - I posted this a while ago and it convinced me that a wrap might be the kind of protection I was looking for with the option to get the color I wanted and not really worry about it being shredded...great video of a guy in Australia who wraps his Land Rovers for outback tours.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...at-shade-are-you-hoping-for.13205/post-482416

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a quote from a local guy near me (Southern NJ) to do a broad stripe (like below) on the Bronco for about $800. Haven't decided on whether I will do it, and whether it will be a green or maybe copper, but I like that I can provide protection, get a 'retro' look, and change colors reasonably inexpensively. And yes, I know that because I am doing big flat removable surfaces, I can probably do this myself (or at least at some point), but I do not want to start that way. Let the pro do it.

Ford Bronco Color Wraps 1629997098803
Sponsored