Sponsored

Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns.

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please post some pictures when you get it. Front, side and rear shots would be nice and appreciated. Thanks, Jim
picked it up today. Here’s a few pics!

0EAB9293-5080-4EBE-861A-4E99A5838A71.jpeg

7F3055E0-B1C4-4E50-963E-7BA3578B41DA.jpeg

8C66185C-6DF7-4E33-89BA-331D27CC4F98.jpeg

2962E680-7928-439B-A874-108592E0552B.jpeg

1C3A7B34-A8D4-4A71-A197-DDD47D1751B3.jpeg

CDD772B0-DE41-4051-8973-692ED7639185.jpeg
Sponsored

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for sharing. I'm sure you will enjoy your new ride.
Well I got a flat tire on the way home from the dealer thanks to a screw that popped a tire perfectly on the highway, but I won't blame that on Land Rover I guess... lol. So, so far so good. I'm still going to hang around these forums though, because I still love the Bronco and might still have one some day!

Djd7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I might encourage potential purchasers to look at lease residuals as an indicator of 3 (or 4-5) year cost of ownership including depreciation. Lease residuals provide an unbiased market expectation of depreciation and expected sales price when you exit your purchase.

I just wrapped up a purchase decision (Candidates: Bronco, Wrangler, Defender, 4Runner) and I was shocked by how much higher the implied cost of ownership was for a Defender. I'll include a few generic examples.

MSRPResidual (3yr, 12k miles)Total Depreciation
Land Rover$60k58%$25,200
Bronco$45k72%$12,600
Wrangler$45k72%$12,600
4Runner$45k72%$12,600

Residuals were sampled from the Edmunds forums discussing residuals. Bronco discussion was limited but generally seemed in-line with the Wrangler and 4Runner. I chose an MSRP spec where vehicle makeup would likely be similar (E.g. 4-door, engine offering, mid-finish, etc.).

It is notable that the depreciation for the Land Rover is 2x that of its' competitors. There are of course other costs of ownership such as fuel ($2k / year) and maintenance (negligible on a <3 year old car). However, depreciation is the largest expense, and owning a Defender was equivalent to owning two if its' peers.

I won't weigh in on the design factors with the Defender (liked some elements, disliked others). However, I will state that the striking delta in cost factors drove us to go with on of the other three offerings.
What vehicle did you decide on from your 4 candidates?

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. CDD772B0-DE41-4051-8973-692ED7639185

Ford Bronco Compared to a Defender - some general thoughts and concerns. CDD772B0-DE41-4051-8973-692ED7639185

I like that Tasman Blue. What was the sticker on that please? 4cyl or 6? And best of luck. 👍

I like that Tasman Blue. Can I ask the sticker price and is it the 4 or 6 cyl? Best of luck with it to. Its still an option for me. Picked up the Evoque for my wife Friday. The Defenders are just SO HARD TO FIND. LOL

Sponsored

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like that Tasman Blue. What was the sticker on that please? 4cyl or 6? And best of luck. 👍

I like that Tasman Blue. Can I ask the sticker price and is it the 4 or 6 cyl? Best of luck with it to. Its still an option for me. Picked up the Evoque for my wife Friday. The Defenders are just SO HARD TO FIND. LOL
It is the P400 engine. The inline 6 cylinder. Good power for sure.

Sticker on it was 72,395. Dealer added nothing on top that other than taxes and fees, etc. And I got an incredible trade value on my Jaguar right now. They actually gave me about 2k more on trade than I PAID for F Type. So the numbers worked out pretty good.

With that said, I would not have ordered exactly this way if I could've specced it out myself. I love those wheels, but I would have happily kept the gloss black 19 inch wheels and I would have added the offroad package to get the rear locker. I probably would have opted for the full towing package instead of just adding the hitch too. Oddly, to me anyway, this one has three zone climate control, so climate control for the rear seats, which I would not have ordered either. Just rarely will have anyone back there other than my dogs.

Anyway, I could have specified it a little differently and saved a few thousand. If you go with the 4 cylinder, which I also drove, I could've gotten one ordered for WAY less. The 4 cylinder has no issues moving the Defender around, but I will say after you drive the 6 cylinder it's hard not to want it. But to your point, you can't find these either and you certainly cannot order one right now either. The dealer here in Charlotte told me they don't even know when they'll have an allocation to order one, and there's a wait list for those allocations, and if you do order, certain options will certainly push your wait time to actually get your car out to at least a year.

So when this one popped up as "in transit" to Greensboro I asked if it was spoken for expecting it to be someone's order coming in but it was not. I got super lucky to find it and I was like "It's close enough. I almost certainly will never NEED a rear locker. It has the tow hitch so I can pull our travel trailer, and I can put off road tires on it later..."

This one is a:
2022 Defender 90 X Dynamic S
20 inch model 6011 wheels with all season tires
Air Suspension
Cold Climate package (heated steering wheel, heated windshield etc.)
Three zone climate control with 2.5 filter
Premium interior protection pack (all weather mats for front, back and cargo and a sun shade)
First aid kit (WooHoo? LOL)
Premium LED headlights plus fog lights
Contrasting black roof
Panoramic Sunroof
Basic rear seat convenience pack (modular system for the seats to click in things like a coat hanger, etc.)
Clearsight rearview mirror (This is a VERY nice feature by the way.)
Tow hitch receiver (I can confirm this also comes with 4 pin and 7 pin wiring installed)
Mine had the front undershield added. I probably wouldn't have thought to include this but it's pretty nice. It adds a metal undershield under the front but more importantly in my opinion, it leaves the front recovery hook exposed. With the normal plastic cover, that hook is covered up and you would have to remove that plastic undershield any time you want to reach that recovery hook.
Mine also has the bigger 11.4 inch main screen, instead of the standard 10 inch screen.

Last edited:

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Sticker on it was 72,395. Dealer added nothing on top that other than taxes and fees, etc. And I got an incredible trade value on my Jaguar right now. They actually gave me about 2k more on trade than I PAID for F Type. So the numbers worked out pretty good.

With that said, I would not have ordered exactly this way if I could've specced it out myself. I love those wheels, but I would have happily kept the gloss black 19 inch wheels and I would have added the offroad package to get the rear locker. I probably would have opted for the full towing package instead of just adding the hitch too. Oddly, to me anyway, this one has three zone climate control, so climate control for the rear seats, which I would not have ordered either. Just rarely will have anyone back there other than my dogs.

Anyway, I could have specified it a little differently and saved a few thousand. If you go with the 4 cylinder, which I also drove, I could've gotten one ordered for WAY less. The 4 cylinder has no issues moving the Defender around, but I will say after you drive the 6 cylinder it's hard not to want it. But to your point, you can't find these either and you certainly cannot order one right now either. The dealer here in Charlotte told me they don't even know when they'll have an allocation to order one, and there's a wait list for those allocations, and if you do order, certain options will certainly push your wait time to actually get your car out to at least a year.

So when this one popped up as "in transit" to Greensboro I asked if it was spoken for expecting it to be someone's order coming in but it was not. I got super lucky to find it and I was like "It's close enough. I almost certainly will never NEED a rear locker. It has the tow hitch so I can pull our travel trailer, and I can put off road tires on it later..."

This one is a:
Air Suspension
Premium interior protection pack (all weather mats for front, back and cargo and a sun shade)
Contrasting black roof
Panoramic Sunroof
Basic rear seat convenience pack (modular system for the seats to click in things like a coat hanger, etc.)
Tow hitch receiver (I can confirm this also comes with 4 pin and 7 pin wiring installed)
Mine had the front undershield added. I probably wouldn't have thought to include this but it's pretty nice. It adds a metal undershield under the front but more importantly in my opinion, it leaves the front recovery hook exposed. With the normal plastic cover, that hook is covered up and you would have to remove that plastic undershield any time you want to reach that recovery hook.
Mine also has the bigger 11.4 inch main screen, instead of the standard 10 inch screen.
Thanks. Your very thorough. Speaking of Charlotte, my old hs friend is coming up this weekend to NJ for our hs reunuion. He graduated from Belmont Abby and stayed. Small world. I like it down there. Thanks again and best of luck. It sure is sweet.

TankCommander

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Type R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This one is a:
Air Suspension
Contrasting black roof
Panoramic Sunroof
Again, thanks for the pictures and the details on your purchase.

Can you tell me the distance between the ground and the step in height? I understand there is also a setting for automatic access height which lowers the vehicle when the door is open.

TankCommander

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jaguar F-Type R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

siddious33,

One last question.

Since you got the X Dynamic "S" trim do you like the semi-powered seats or would you have ordered the "SE" with full power memory seats? I do see that the semi-power seats does have a power squab reclining feature but everything else is manual. Any complaints about the manual operation. I can live with the manual seats but my wife really likes power seats.

thanks

DryYourTears

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Defender, 51 Ford F1, motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Can you tell me the distance between the ground and the step in height? I understand there is also a setting for automatic access height which lowers the vehicle when the door is open.
For my D110 P400SE, it's about 23" from the ground to the "Defender" step plate when in normal height. I think access mode drops it no more than 1-2 inches.

Sponsored

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I have not measured it, but my guess is about 2 feet. I'm almost exactly 6 feet tall. The top of the roofline is about 6'5". Step in for me is slightly up, as I don't slide perfectly horizontally into the Defender but it's close. I feel more like I'm getting up onto a high top bar stool when I'm getting in. It's not bad, but access height will lower it about 2 inches or so as long as you have the air suspension option. (You can also set it to always default to access height when parked if you want.)

Last edited:

Adumb

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Area 51 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No hate at all...kinda looks like a Sport.

siddious33

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
siddious33,

One last question.

Since you got the X Dynamic "S" trim do you like the semi-powered seats or would you have ordered the "SE" with full power memory seats? I do see that the semi-power seats does have a power squab reclining feature but everything else is manual. Any complaints about the manual operation. I can live with the manual seats but my wife really likes power seats.

thanks
So this was just a discussion with my wife about this very thing yesterday, lol. She was like "how do I adjust the seat and the steering wheel" and I said "it's manual. There is an old school bar under the front." She was like "How much did you pay for this car?" ;)

BUT, when I explained why I personally would rather have the semi electric seats, she got it. For me, on the two door, I'd rather not have memory seats. I'd rather have the manual seats because to flip the seat up and get into the back seat takes about one second. On the powered seats, you have to use the electric motor to power them out of the way and then put them back to where they were and it takes forever.

I won't have people riding in the back all that much mind you, but even just to move the seat to put something back there or grab something out of the backseat, I much prefer the manual seats.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What a nice vehicle. Congratulations. I definitely would have been tempted if that showed up on a lot near me.

brettclutch

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Didn't even think about this. Thank You.
Sponsored