Sponsored

Convert rear 3.7 open differential to limited slip differential?

LightRefined

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Basically the title, does anyone know if it will be possible to convert the rear 3.7 open diff to an LSD? I'm getting an OBX non-sas with the 3.7s, and was just wondering if this will be possible.. and if so, maybe a rough guesstimate on the price range?

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is definitely possible, but it will also definitely void your power train warranty unless Ford offers their own conversion kit (which as far as I know, they have no plans to do so).

I have no guesses for cost though. Anytime I’ve done it, I do it myself. The components to do the conversion are probably going to be around $400 - $800. So whatever the cost of labor is beyond that—and the labor is going to be pricey because it requires taking apart the entire rear axle.

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The sasquatch package is really a good deal if you want/need lockers. If it isnt too late to change your order you should consider it.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Basically the title, does anyone know if it will be possible to convert the rear 3.7 open diff to an LSD? I'm getting an OBX non-sas with the 3.7s, and was just wondering if this will be possible.. and if so, maybe a rough guesstimate on the price range?

Thanks in advance!!
Are you trying to keep the 3.7 gears? If not why not just upgrade to the 4.27 locker?

OP
OP
LightRefined

LightRefined

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It is definitely possible, but it will also definitely void your power train warranty unless Ford offers their own conversion kit (which as far as I know, they have no plans to do so).

I have no guesses for cost though. Anytime I’ve done it, I do it myself. The components to do the conversion are probably going to be around $400 - $800. So whatever the cost of labor is beyond that—and the labor is going to be pricey because it requires taking apart the entire rear axle.
Thanks! The warranty is a good point, so I think I'll just stick with the open diffs in the end. Probably not worth the hassle, haha.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LightRefined

LightRefined

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The sasquatch package is really a good deal if you want/need lockers. If it isnt too late to change your order you should consider it.
I appreciate it. I was just wanting a good, autonomous inbetween of better than an open diff, but not a full on locker. I won't need sasquatch for my needs, that's for sure.

OP
OP
LightRefined

LightRefined

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are you trying to keep the 3.7 gears? If not why not just upgrade to the 4.27 locker?
Yeah, I'm trying to keep the 3.7s for the gas mileage gains. I was mainly looking into something that's autonomous that will help provide some traction.

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate it. I was just wanting a good, autonomous inbetween of better than an open diff, but not a full on locker. I won't need sasquatch for my needs, that's for sure.
Gotcha, I am sure with time all of those options will show up on the after market. Give it some time and I am sure it wont be a problem.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, I'm trying to keep the 3.7s for the gas mileage gains. I was mainly looking into something that's autonomous that will help provide some traction.
I doubt you will see any significant change in gas mileage by changing the gears unless the majority of your driving running 80+ on the interstate

jhenson81

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Eaton Truetrac is a decent limited-slip unit. I had one installed in a Jeep more than 10 years ago. At the time, I was changing gear ratios and had to replace the diffs to accept the new ring gears. I remember the labor cost being $450 to install the front and rear diffs and pinion gears back then.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think you're on the front end of availability but I would guess that a limited slip will show up at some point at a vendor. I used a gear type limited slip (Truetrac) in my CJ7 back in the day, and it had very good manners in a short wheelbase vehicle.

And don't fret warranty scares. It will have no impact on the overall drivetrain. If you break an axle, then no they won't cover that. If your engine has an issue, the limited slip will have no bearing.
Sponsored