Sponsored

Front differential replaced, axel slipping in 4?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Damn those look good/not broken. Might be the drivers side cv axle going into the housing. Shake the inner driver cv and see if it makes noise. The big rust cup! I have a reoccurring banging from mine, its really clanky and happens intermediately(mostly in parking lots backing up).

I would put it in 4wd on pavement going straight for 20ft and backing up straight for 20ft. If no noise repeat turning the steering wheel like a 1/4 turn left or right, if getting noise stop and go back to 2wd. Let us know.

Ford Bronco Front differential replaced, axel slipping in 4? 1698777153115
Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
What you are stating doesn't make enough sense for me to go very far with the diagnosis. 4 Low on that version of the transfer case locks the front and rear axles together. As long as one wheel on the front and one wheel on the rear can slip, then there shouldn't be a problem. All of that makes it super curious what is going on.

You should have the dealer investigate what is going on.

OP
OP
Quest

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Damn those look good/not broken. Might be the drivers side cv axle going into the housing. Shake the inner driver cv and see if it makes noise. The big rust cup! I have a reoccurring banging from mine, its really clanky and happens intermediately(mostly in parking lots backing up).

I would put it in 4wd on pavement going straight for 20ft and backing up straight for 20ft. If no noise repeat turning the steering wheel like a 1/4 turn left or right, if getting noise stop and go back to 2wd. Let us know.

Ford Bronco Front differential replaced, axel slipping in 4? 1698777153115
Well, good news. I won't have trouble with the dealership replicating the issue. First audio is 4H, second is 4L. Both rolling about 20 feet in a level parking lot with just engine idle pushing me along.

Sorry the audio is pretty crap.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am guessing the splines on the axle. Breaking two diffs in the manner you describe doesn't seem possible.

OP
OP
Quest

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford approved the claim today after a little push back. Understandable since they replaced the front differential just over a month ago.

Hopefully I either got a defective unit last time or that dealership screwed up the install. Blowing the first one as easily as I did was bad though. Blowing the second within 4 hours of picking it up is just insanity.

The dealership thinks parts will be in next week. Second hand report is the spline gear was broken. I just don't get it. I'm pretty new to offroading and I'm not doing anything crazy with it. How did I blow an FD reversing up a hill in mud and another high centering on a berm...
Sponsored