Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Updates
Post 31 CV Axle photos

I guess this is the next step in my journey into Bronco failure points. This is something I have been digging into since my CV Axle failure. I am thinking the front end weakness for the bronco is how power gets transmitted from the cv through the intermediate shaft to the center differential.

Some of the first real catastrophic failures are the passenger side tube. We have had several other front failures but when people warranty the bronco all hope is lost on getting any real info. The documented history off youtube as follows was observed on Trail Militia Video and second was Blanco Bronco. There have been other failures, please if you have info on them post them.

Key critical points at this stage are that you can physically see the stock cv-axles, other words aftermarket cv are not the solution. Blanco was a shaft failure, Trail Militia was a complete failure. I am going to focus on the intermediate shaft as the point of weakness.

Resource Link to diagrams
https://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/gKvvL6ujMaD8b5GND/LAXIP-0002-52022.pdf?token=eyJhdXRoVG9rZW4iOiIifQ==&store=original
Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1692371478881

Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1692371610588

1) Shaft Material
Initially I was focused on improving the strength of the shaft. 300M or some other chromoly steel that would yield a higher strength. Twisting of the splines is the text book failure and weakest point, example is Blanco Bronco. If your twisting shafts, your just exceeding the material strength. Twisting shafts at the clip like Blanco Bronco you had a failure at the place with the lowest cross sectional area. An improved housing would have not benefited this failure as the force was transmitted correctly.

2) Bearings support
When I changed my passenger side seal I noticed excessive play in the bearings. When you have excessive play you get more force transmitted latteraly (see exaggerated diagram below). The extra deflection puts more stress on the housing which could be one of the reason we are seeing a failure of the housing. The axle rides directly on needle bearing with no race. This means no machine fit tolerances so you naturally get some play. We are talking 1-2mm of movement which should not be catastrophic. This does add lateral forces and does contribute to the possibility of housing failure. Now if you add in some force from the cv movement on the end and you can really add some force. Example would be landing off a jump and the shock load transmitting from the cv axle movement into the housing. This force can actual go all the way into the differential as the support bearings do nothing to dampen the force (see 2nd crappy diagram).
Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1692372547145

Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1692374544509

3) Housing design and material
Next is the material of the housing and cast aluminum is just weaker than other material. Being weaker is not a bad trait but if its cast to conservative it can be thin and to weak. Housing is not designed to prevent the intermediate shaft from moving.

Hypotheses
That the m190 part time disconnect housing makes the diff stronger. There are bigger bearings and higher tolerances. The actuator assembly helps prevent shock loads from from entering the the differential. The extra material helps with housing strength. This might be an upgrade part if you machine a spacer/disconnect eliminator(100% logical but impossible to prove).

Fix!
Would need an upgraded shaft, to improve the strength of the splines. New bearings with a tapper to transmit the shock load to the housing. Upgraded housing to mount bearings and add support. See crap paint picture below (I use paint because CAD gives me nightmares, like flashbacks to my worst job ever). Draw backs are cost, most likely going to need to be 2 piece to get the factory seal and bearings to work with upgraded tapper bearings. Custom cut shaft with machined races for bearings.
Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1692376541158

Moral is the factory piece is the way it is because it has worked forever. Spicer upgraded unit is doing the lets beef up everything but not reinvent the wheel. I could see buying into something that fixes 2 out of the 3 issues (shaft and housing) but just tackling one issue doesn't alleviate the problem.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dropping 8K for the Dana unit is not in the cards for me at the moment. I have the BroncBuster tube housing and RVC axles going on next week to help in the meantime, with a long term goal of getting the Dana Ultimate front end a few years down the road (and maybe with the Dana 60 rear).

Is anyone working on a stronger Intermediate shaft?

FYI, @NorthShoreBronco also had a CV failure and did a video on it:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I guess this is the next step in my journey into Bronco failure points. This is something I have been digging into since my CV Axle failure. I am thinking the front end weakness for the bronco is how power gets transmitted from the cv through the intermediate shaft to the center differential.

Some of the first real catastrophic failures are the passenger side tube. We have had several other front failures but when people warranty the bronco all hope is lost on getting any real info. The documented history off youtube as follows was observed on Trail Militia Video and second was Blanco Bronco. There have been other failures, please if you have info on them post them.

Key critical points at this stage are that you can physically see the stock cv-axles, other words aftermarket cv are not the solution. Blanco was a shaft failure, Trail Militia was a complete failure. I am going to focus on the intermediate shaft as the point of weakness.

Resource Link to diagrams
https://media.spicerparts.com/cfs/files/media/gKvvL6ujMaD8b5GND/LAXIP-0002-52022.pdf?token=eyJhdXRoVG9rZW4iOiIifQ==&store=original
Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1692377993471

1) Shaft Material
Initially I was focused on improving the strength of the shaft. 300M or some other chromoly steel that would yield a higher strength. Twisting of the splines is the text book failure and weakest point, example is Blanco Bronco. If your twisting shafts, your just exceeding the material strength. Twisting shafts at the clip like Blanco Bronco you had a failure at the place with the lowest cross sectional area. An improved housing would have not benefited this failure as the force was transmitted correctly.

2) Bearings support
When I changed my passenger side seal I noticed excessive play in the bearings. When you have excessive play you get more force transmitted latteraly (see exaggerated diagram below). The extra deflection puts more stress on the housing which could be one of the reason we are seeing a failure of the housing. The axle rides directly on needle bearing with no race. This means no machine fit tolerances so you naturally get some play. We are talking 1-2mm of movement which should not be catastrophic. This does add lateral forces and does contribute to the possibility of housing failure. Now if you add in some force from the cv movement on the end and you can really add some force. Example would be landing off a jump and the shock load transmitting from the cv axle movement into the housing. This force can actual go all the way into the differential as the support bearings do nothing to dampen the force (see 2nd crappy diagram).

3) Housing design and material
Next is the material of the housing and cast aluminum is just weaker than other material. Being weaker is not a bad trait but if its cast to conservative it can be thin and to weak. Housing is not designed to prevent the intermediate shaft from moving.

Hypotheses
That the m190 part time disconnect housing makes the diff stronger. There are bigger bearings and higher tolerances. The actuator assembly helps prevent shock loads from from entering the the differential. The extra material helps with housing strength. This might be an upgrade part if you machine a spacer/disconnect eliminator(100% logical but impossible to prove).

Fix!
Would need an upgraded shaft, to improve the strength of the splines. New bearings with a tapper to transmit the shock load to the housing. Upgraded housing to mount bearings and add support. See crap paint picture below (I use paint because CAD gives me nightmares, like flashbacks to my worst job ever). Draw backs are cost, most likely going to need to be 2 piece to get the factory seal and bearings to work with upgraded tapper bearings. Custom cut shaft with machined races for bearings.

Moral is the factory piece is the way it is because it has worked forever. Spicer upgraded unit is doing the lets beef up everything but not reinvent the wheel. I could see buying into something that fixes 2 out of the 3 issues (shaft and housing) but just tackling one issue doesn't alleviate the problem.
That's the main reason I bought the upgraded Spicer ultimate front fdu. The splines are 32 instead of 29 and the shaft is larger and it has bearings that are of superior quality. Most importantly the tube is made out of cast iron instead of aluminum. So between the heavy duty tube the extra bearings and the strong heavy duty axle shaft I think they've alleviated most of that problem area.

20230215_144608.jpg

20230215_144601.jpg

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was happy my BB 4.27 190 axle did not have FAD...fewer fail points...then you go and destroy my logic... :unsure:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was happy my BB 4.27 190 axle did not have FAD...fewer fail points...then you go and destroy my logic... :unsure:
Its a theory at this point, I am still sure the m190 spider gears don't like 37s. Really no one really knows what the best option is till we take things apart. I plan to dissect my M190 as I think I twisted the splines in it.

Last edited:

Squashed

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Arg I've had 1 m210 replaced once. When turning it sounded like I had a rock stuck in my tire. They could not duplicate it and drained the fluid and found Gary Glitter. 2 weeks later covered under warranty I was sent out with the new diff. This discussion has my nervous . 2 inch Perch lift was installed by myself to limit exceeding the cv joint angles. Now I'll add checking the tube for damage to my after wheeling checks 😕.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Arg I've had 1 m210 replaced once. When turning it sounded like I had a rock stuck in my tire. They could not duplicate it and drained the fluid and found Gary Glitter. 2 weeks later covered under warranty I was sent out with the new diff. This discussion has my nervous . 2 inch Perch lift was installed by myself to limit exceeding the cv joint angles. Now I'll add checking the tube for damage to my after wheeling checks 😕.
I wouldn't worry as much about the axle tube, the tube has a low failure rate. Your more likely to blow a cv axle. Goal is to figure out what causes the failure and figure out if its worth throwing money at. Last thing we should do is spend money on fixing something if the next part in the chain is just as weak.

That's the main reason I bought the upgraded Spicer ultimate front fdu. The splines are 32 instead of 29 and the shaft is larger and it has bearings that are of superior quality. Most importantly the tube is made out of cast iron instead of aluminum. So between the heavy duty tube the extra bearings and the strong heavy duty axle shaft I think they've alleviated most of that problem area.
Now this guy here, has us all hoping he never breaks anything and the $8k front end is the permeant fix.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I mean a lot of this is just welcome to the world of IFS.

If worried go with the Spicer FDU, if too expensive, you should always bring extra CVs and tie rods wheeling an IFS vehicle.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It would be good to know if upgrading from M190 with FAD to the standard M210 is gaining any real advantage, other than possibly changing gears and adding front locker.
Maybe an unlocked M190 can go the distance if you don’t have to have the locker?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am also wondering if it could be related to Ford software. Damn software unlocks and relocks between certain speeds and I have had some nasty hard shifts downshift a few times. I have barked all 4 tires going from 2nd to first in 4low.

It would be good to know if upgrading from M190 with FAD to the standard M210 is gaining any real advantage, other than possibly changing gears and adding front locker.
Maybe an unlocked M190 can go the distance if you don’t have to have the locker?
The only real way to compare the two differentials is side by side tear down. You will be able see the differences first hand. I wouldn't be surprised if the M190 has larger spider gears due to not having a locking mechanism. The aluminum m190 may also have larger bearings due to needing more contact area with the housing to make strength.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's a good question, disconnected, it probably would be fine, for most people not named @Snacktime.

I have not been gentle to my M190, but I haven't beaten it savagely either. I run 4A exclusively, except off-road where I either run 4A, 4H, or 4L. I still am planning to try to shoehorn the TrueTrac differential in mine at some point (with hopes that I can make it work), backup plan is the M210 I have in the garage.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

20230215_144608.jpg

20230215_144601.jpg
Having already spent the money on RCV's & I am at my max height in tires (37's) I will be sticking with the 29's splines. With my driving style I'm confident I will be fine.

I spoke with Zak from Dana while in Moab last year to see if there was any upgrade to the intermediate shaft on the 29 spline FDU, as I was interested in their 29 spline FDU. He said there was not. Then we talked about the intermediate shaft breakage issues & they have not seen them with the cast iron tube.
For those who are in the same boat, I would look at BB's billet tube replacement regardless of the razzing vice the 29 spline version of the Dana UFDU as it is < 1/2 the cost. But if you are going deeper than 4.7's or are adding a lockers & gears I would think the Dana is the way to go.
YMMV 🤠

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BB new tube is not a bad product, I am just not sold on keeping the stock intermediate shaft.

Not enough people have the spicer units for me to believe they have a good test base. Definitely a serious upgrade but to be confused with know properties of Jeep/Dana/Toyota axles at this point.

@Felix808 the rcv axles definitely limit your upgrades, you going to test the new BB tube?

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Felix808 the rcv axles definitely limit your upgrades, you going to test the new BB tube?
I may just as insurance due to the number of broken mounts on the stock tube. and such on the stock tube I've seen. I need to find out more about it and the design build & install.
I was originally looking at the 29 spline Dana FDU but after talking to Zak it doesn't warrant the extra cost to me vice just upgrading the tube being it doesn't upgrade the intermediate shaft. I won't be re-gearing & I have lockers already. He was also thinking the failures of the intermediate shaft were probably due to the flexing of the cast aluminum tube vice the cast iron.
Sponsored