Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It seems a lot of failures are at the inner housing and there's a video example of the shaft itself breaking. Has anyone seen one break at the outer housing?
Sponsored

Jim@WILDHORSES

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildhorses4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
1966-2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just to add to the conversation I severely injured a driver side CV (outer M210 FDU) and somewhere around the same time broke the intermediate shaft. There are a few hard spots at Prison Hill OHV Carson City. Hope to see some of you there in Oct. for Bronco Driver Super Cel.
https://www.broncodriver.com/index.php/nevada-event/
Anyway, pulled and opened the FDU, split the case, smacked the broken piece of the shaft out. Time to get this back together. I can't find torque specs for the 12 case bolts. I have searched the web high and low. By the time someone post the specs I will have this back together but maybe it will help the next guy or gal. Happy wrenching!

Jim

axe.jpg

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just to add to the conversation I severely injured a driver side CV (outer M210 FDU) and somewhere around the same time broke the intermediate shaft. There are a few hard spots at Prison Hill OHV Carson City. Hope to see some of you there in Oct. for Bronco Driver Super Cel.
Anyway, pulled and opened the FDU, split the case, smacked the broken piece of the shaft out. Time to get this back together. I can't find torque specs for the 12 case bolts. I have searched the web high and low. By the time someone post the specs I will have this back together but maybe it will help the next guy or gal. Happy wrenching!

Jim

Ford Bronco Front differential discussion axe
Well that is good news since you didn't take the ring gear out. Look like the failure is at the edge of the carrier.

Oh we use the same rescue service @SS Bronco

IMG_20230908_062821.jpg

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Jim

Ford Bronco Front differential discussion IMG_20230908_062821
Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1694180520833

https://www.fastenermart.com/files/metric_tighten_torques.pdf
^ A lot more options

mattusmc

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
Your Bronco Model
Base
It seems a lot of failures are at the inner housing and there's a video example of the shaft itself breaking. Has anyone seen one break at the outer housing?
this actually just happened this weekend on my driver side axle

IMG_4007.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

this actually just happened this weekend on my driver side axle

IMG_4007.jpeg
That is the inner axle failure I have seen. Get a couple more pictures of the failure, kind of looks like a pocket in the casting.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That is the inner axle failure I have seen. Get a couple more pictures of the failure, kind of looks like a pocket in the casting.
Axles should never be cast, they should be forged. If they are cast, they will fail as a general rule.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Axles should never be cast, they should be forged. If they are cast, they will fail as a general rule.
My bad, still looks like a pocket. Maybe a bad ingot got forged as I wouldn't be surprised by a metallurgic defect. Back to my🍺

Sponsored

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just had my FD go this past weekend. I thought it was the driver-side CV, but they told me both CVs looked okay. Of course, the part is on backorder, so we will see how long until I get it back. Trying to turn around on a bad mud hill after finding two downed trees in the way. Recovery boards out, and then just a loud crack sound with a harsh shift out of reverse to put it into park.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just had my FD go this past weekend. I thought it was the driver-side CV, but they told me both CVs looked okay. Of course, the part is on backorder, so we will see how long until I get it back. Trying to turn around on a bad mud hill after finding two downed trees in the way. Recovery boards out, and then just a loud crack sound with a harsh shift out of reverse to put it into park.
You have a front locker? M190 or M210?

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Quest M190 front differential if you don't have a locker. Let us know if they take it apart and tell you exactly what failed? Could be the part time unit or the actual differential.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So the m210 drive CV is 1" longer than m190. It fits but is just to long and the seal will not seal.
Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 78691F72-F6F5-41CA-A2D2-64B1ABBCAE22

The other issue is there is no bearing supporting the drivers CV. The CV is metal on metal through the carrier to the spider gears. Look closely you can see the bearing is supporting the carrier. I thought the bearing was seized initially.

Here you can see gouging on the shaft from rubbing on the carrier. It took me 3 hours with a slide hammer to get this pos out.

Very disappointed in the design. A simple roller bearing would easily prevent the damage. This is going to be a issue with both the m190 and m210. We need to find a bearing that fits inside to eliminate the play that can be pressed in behind the seal. This should also help with keeping the seal alive since I had to change both sides here at 5k miles.
Seems like it would be possible to machine out some area and press in a bronze bushing for additional support. I know that with the 2nd gen tacomas, they deal with a vibration after lifting by replacing the outer bearing with a bushing. not exactly the same situation but could be looked into. It looks like where that metal transfer is on your cv is at the differential bearing. almost like the wrong size inner race is in it causing the cv to wobble inside the bearing and rub inside the race.
Sponsored