Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Strizzo we are on the same page!

So the differential use the same seals on both ends, meaning they are the same diameter. I am pretty sure we can find a bearing that fits. We could also get a bushing made but I much rather have something more off the shelf as I could see someone charging a huge bronco tax on the item.

The metal on the cv shaft is the carrier. There is zero support for the cv axle! I think this is the reason the Drivers Side CV gets stuck in the housing which has been an issue for a few people.
Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1697035846455

This is the next upgrade, I do not see this being a huge strength increase as much as a longevity improvement. This should also help with the life of the seal, the whole reason I had to pull my cv was to just change the seal that lasted 7k miles? Should be a popular modification once we find a bearing.

Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1697036004399

I am back to saving for a m210 since I spent that money on shocks because I can't pass up a good deal. So this project had a financial set back lol.

I originally thought we could use the passenger side bearing but the cv axle race is not long enough so back to the drawing board.
Ford Bronco Front differential discussion 1697035200753
Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Strizzo

I am back to saving for a m210 since I spent that money on shocks because I can't pass up a good deal. So this project had a financial set back lol.
Hey, no problem, I'll have your M210 ready in 2 weeks. I'll even give you my good guy discount 😁

Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Quest M190 front differential if you don't have a locker. Let us know if they take it apart and tell you exactly what failed? Could be the part time unit or the actual differential.
Unfortunately, the tech was not around to ask and I couldn't confirm the point of failure. The shop notes confirmed no visible signs of damage on the outside. borescope confirmed damage to the differential, with lots of metal bits in the fluid when drained.

The same day I picked it up I did some offroading and ran into what I believe is a related problem. I just detailed it in a new thread here. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/front-differential-replaced-axel-slipping-in-4.83686/

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Figured this would be as good a spot as any to discuss what and why this noise happens. I've only filmed it once, but it probably happens once or twice a wheeling trip lately with no known damage, just noise and you can visibly see the front tires shudder when it happens.

I can recreate it almost every time there is wheel spin in 4wd rapidly unloading one or both of the front tires. Typically occurs as you let off the throttle which makes me thing it could be related to abs/brake control? Whether that's the actual noise or if it's causing gears to slam into each other?

Here's a video I stumbled across on Facebook, same noise and you can see his passeneger tire shudder when it happens too. He reported nothing visibly broken and everything worked fine the rest of the day trying similiar obstacles.

Sponsored

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@builtMIbronco how long are you in 4wd prior to needing it? Do you stay in 4wd most of the trail run?
Not sure I've ever paid attention to length of time in 4wd, I usually run 2h until I need 4 low. If we're running a more serious trail I'll engage at the first obstacle and run it until we come off the trail usually. It might be worth noting I've had 2 transfer case faults in low range where I'll randomly lose 4wd. Restart has fixed it both times.

I guess I should've explained a little deeper, it's only ever happened to me under moderate-heavy load trying to climb something where the tires break loose completely. In the first video there I was climbing out of a "tank trap" style mud pit and completely lost traction coming out. Last week I was climbing a sandy rock garden and I was diffed out hard enough that had no forward traction and pretty much every time the wheels would fully break loose and then come to a stop I would get the same noise. I could visibly see the front driver tire shudder when it would happen.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I
Not sure I've ever paid attention to length of time in 4wd, I usually run 2h until I need 4 low. If we're running a more serious trail I'll engage at the first obstacle and run it until we come off the trail usually. It might be worth noting I've had 2 transfer case faults in low range where I'll randomly lose 4wd. Restart has fixed it both times.

I guess I should've explained a little deeper, it's only ever happened to me under moderate-heavy load trying to climb something where the tires break loose completely. In the first video there I was climbing out of a "tank trap" style mud pit and completely lost traction coming out. Last week I was climbing a sandy rock garden and I was diffed out hard enough that had no forward traction and pretty much every time the wheels would fully break loose and then come to a stop I would get the same noise. I could visibly see the front driver tire shudder when it would happen.
I am wondering if the part time unit is fully engaging. I usually engage 4wd and leave it engaged for offroading. If your cycling in and out you may not be fully engaged every time.

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I

I am wondering if the part time unit is fully engaging. I usually engage 4wd and leave it engaged for offroading. If your cycling in and out you may not be fully engaged every time.
The fad? Or something in the tcase? I'm m210 swapped too

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@builtMIbronco Thought you had Fad... That throws a wrench in everything. If your not locking the front when it's happening you might have a cracked star inside a CV axle. Very unlikely but if the star gets cracked you will get loud pops. I have only seen this once on a Toyota with a home assembled birfield (took a bunch of broken parts to make one good one). Or it can be a broken race in a CV allowing the balls to move and pop. Broken races usually fail rather quickly due to stress and you would see carnage.

PXL_20230607_162033110~2.jpg
Sponsored