J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, Tundra, GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is what I spent most of my day looking at yesterday!
:p

Honestly, it's tempting to switch my basesquatch to a base. A rear true-trac would be awesome for a daily. Still, pretty expensive when you add in the R&P, carrier, install, etc. It really sucks that Ford used a welded ring gear design on the non-locker rear.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Honestly, it's tempting to switch my basesquatch to a base. A rear true-trac would be awesome for a daily. Still, pretty expensive when you add in the R&P, carrier, install, etc. It really sucks that Ford used a welded ring gear design on the non-locker rear.
I am thinking it will still be cheaper than adding the entire rear locking 4.46 axle & wiring it up?
Oh well, I will wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with for a 4.46?

Dad life

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, Tundra, GX470
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am thinking it will still be cheaper than adding the entire rear locking 4.46 axle & wiring it up?
Oh well, I will wait to see what the aftermarket comes up with for a 4.46?
Man, I dunno. The complete 4.46 locker rear is 2300ish from a quick google search. It's gonna be interesting to see how people tackle it. I should have someone to copy by the time mine gets built in 2024.

Sponsored

BasedBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

> Factory 3.73 gear equipped Bronco's feature a welded ring gear/open differential and will require a replacement M220 Jeep JL ring & pinion to complete installation.
So does that mean the open 4.46 is not welded ?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Saw it here for $750: https://www.desertrat.com/i-23429938-detroit-truetrac-dana-44-m210-m220-32-spline-all-ratios.html

> Factory 3.73 gear equipped Bronco's feature a welded ring gear/open differential and will require a replacement M220 Jeep JL ring & pinion to complete installation.
Ohh now this is intriguing. How involved is an install for something like this?

Sponsored

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I recall reading it's welded. I think only diffs with lockers are not welded.
That‘s what I’ve read too.

But if “my dealer said….” requires a drink, then “I read on an Internet forum….” should require a bong hit.

I would think Eaton Corp. would know more than some random dudes on B6G. I find it interesting that Eaton says it works with all ratios, and then specifically says 3.73 gears are welded, but does not mention 4.46.

Either way, that Tru-Trac is an excellent option for Base buyers. I’m seriously thinking about adding one to my Bronco, welded or not.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That‘s what I’ve read too.

But if “my dealer said….” requires a drink, then “I read on an Internet forum….” should require a bong hit.

I would think Eaton Corp. would know more than some random dudes on B6G. I find it interesting that Eaton says it works with all ratios, and then specifically says 3.73 gears are welded, but does not mention 4.46.

Either way, that Tru-Trac is an excellent option for Base buyers. I’m seriously thinking about adding one to my Bronco, welded or not.
Yep when I first read the Eaton caveat only mentioning the 3.73, I was hoping that meant the 4.46 was not welded. I'll have to check where I read about the welded aspect.

Regarding the Truetrac, seems like it has some nice features, with the possible exception when a tire is fully in the air with no traction. Then it could have some limitations, especially with a manual trans if not able to adequately modulate the throttle and brakes at the same time. Here is a video I was watching related to that aspect:

On the other hand, some people are claiming the Truetrac in combo with modern automatic brake actuated traction control, performs well and does not necessarily require the user to brake as much.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had a True-Trac in the front diff of my 94 Bronco (and a Detroit Locker in the rear). For me, a Tru-Trac in the rear of my 6G will be perfect. My use is driving in snow, not rock crawling. So the “wheel in the air” does not bother me. A huge advantage of the Tru-Trac is that it works at all speeds. Just look at all the people surprised that their e-locker does not work above 20mph. Tru-Trac still works at 80mph, or even 102mph.

Note: I would also be interested in either a Detroit Locker or a Lock-Rite (lunchbox locker), but neither are currently available for a 6G. I’ve used both before and I’m fine with both.

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a True-Trac in the front diff of my 94 Bronco (and a Detroit Locker in the rear). For me, a Tru-Trac in the rear of my 6G will be perfect. My use is driving in snow, not rock crawling. So the “wheel in the air” does not bother me. A huge advantage of the Tru-Trac is that it works at all speeds. Just look at all the people surprised that their e-locker does not work above 20mph. Tru-Trac still works at 80mph, or even 102mph.

Note: I would also be interested in either a Detroit Locker or a Lock-Rite (lunchbox locker), but neither are currently available for a 6G. I’ve used both before and I’m fine with both.
Just a FYI, your factory rear E-locker will stayed locked at all speeds in Baja mode if you have it. A true-trac would be great for the Bronco also.