Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last Sunday the wife and I found ourselves at lunch near our Ford dealership so we decided to swing by to see if they had any Broncos we could lust over.
Sure enough, a new Badlands mannequin was parked out front. It looked pretty good but did have a horizontal crack in the windshield all the way across near the bottom. No big deal, probably from shipping, right?
So today I’m watching a YouTube Black Diamond owner review and he casually mentions having to replace his windshield twice in 6 months because of a problem caused by the mounting frame. The windshield is cracked again, horizontally and low near bottom. He says the problem has been fixed in the new Raptors.
Just wondering if you guys have encountered this problem?
Sponsored

broncoGIRL21

Big Bend
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep. Just happened a few days ago. I've had my Bronco for 3 months. Crack is horizontal about 5-6 inches from the bottom.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's very common on vertical windshields. My 69 gets windshields often as does my Rubicon and every other Jeep Wrangler in the world. Rocks smash into them whereas a car has a very sloped windshield and the rock does not hit at the same angle.

Sponsored

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As of tomorrow, I will be on windshield #3. The previous 2 were cracked by rocks. Both of those were up high on the passenger side, not at the bottom. I have not experienced that kind of failure on my Bronco.

BRONCBOY21

Base
First Name
Ayres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm on my second windshield but due to rock chips that turned into large cracks

OP
OP
Vonblixen

Vonblixen

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, having previously owned a Jeep Rubicon, I am accustomed to rock damaged windshields.
I am wondering if some built in stresses are causing some premature cracks.
Otherwise, why would it be corrected in the new Raptor version?

ManikMonday

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 G500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It's very common on vertical windshields. My 69 gets windshields often as does my Rubicon and every other Jeep Wrangler in the world. Rocks smash into them whereas a car has a very sloped windshield and the rock does not hit at the same angle.
I wouldn't say its very common on vertical windshields.. I have owned a few G-Wagens over the past 12 years never heard on issue of this... Rocks on the other hand!

Sponsored

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't say its very common on vertical windshields.. I have owned a few G-Wagens over the past 12 years never heard on issue of this... Rocks on the other hand!
You must live in a blessed place. Other than Gorilla glass,...windshields are pretty much the same.
Maybe you are really good at dodging rocks. :)

ManikMonday

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 G500
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You must live in a blessed place. Other than Gorilla glass,...windshields are pretty much the same.
Maybe you are really good at dodging rocks. :)
Sorry miss read your post thought you were saying bad mounting/frame stress causing cracks, rocks of course are an issue ;)

Trueblue2296

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands, 2022 F250 Tremor 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have my second windshield being replaced next week from a rock chip that stemmed to a huge crack.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First I'm hearing of the frame causing cracking. I'd take it, and his claim that they have fixed it on the Raptor, with a grain of salt. There might be something to it if we start seeing multiple corroborating stories, otherwise I question why he has unique information. I've seen lots and lots of false information regarding the Bronco on YouTube.
These windshields do catch rocks and even a minute chip, that you may or may not notice, can easily turn into a crack due to the shape and angle of the windshield. I'd definitely have a glass policy added to insurance. In fact, I got to call them yesterday after catching a rock.