Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Area 51 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know anything about the cargo carrier offered in the accessories list? It sounds like this one can fold up to take up less space when not in use, but that seems impossible with the spare tire mounted on the back of the car. Am I missing something here?
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just got 18153 - but, not sure if it’s the same as the one in Ford Accessories.

My intention is just to haul gear from A to B and unload. I’ll run a test on being able to open the cargo door - if anything - it won’t be much - but, perhaps enough to lift the “hatch”

Ford Bronco Curt folding cargo basket FD7EB2CD-DD4F-4808-95C6-328B8930C556

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I was wondering about this. It already sticks out pretty far - and this model is extended to clear the spare. Would extending it more lower the cargo capacity? But, certainly solve the problem.
Not enough to be concerned about, the standard tongue weight is 350 pounds. A cargo basket is typically rated at 100-200 pounds. With an extension it could in theory reduce the load capability but that is why the extension has a long load bearing insert to the receiver to spread the load.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got 18153 - but, not sure if it’s the same as the one in Ford Accessories.

My intention is just to haul gear from A to B and unload. I’ll run a test on being able to open the cargo door - if anything - it won’t be much - but, perhaps enough to lift the “hatch”

FD7EB2CD-DD4F-4808-95C6-328B8930C556.jpeg
These things give me the creeps 🤷
Lol

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like these things, it comes in handy for if you’ve got the vehicle full of people and pets and have minimized the interior cargo room. I’ve already got one but have contemplated how it’s going to work with the swing out door. I’ve actually thought about one of the swing out extensions on the top of this page.. https://www.etrailer.com/search/Swing+Away+Adapter
And they seem like a great (if not a bit pricey) solution. Figured it would work on the bike rack I have as well.

For the poster asking about tail lights. Theoretically you’d only need them if your cargo was high enough to block the lights and n the vehicle, but my cargo basket had an add on that you could buy to attach lights to it which I got as well.

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 1 which I used with my Jeep for the past few years. Very useful, It actually supports up to 500 lb. (I try to keep that weight under 150 lbs) I used it when I go camping, doing Goodwill trip keep wet items away from the inside cabin after water sports.
I have 1 which looks like this which doesn't clear the spare tires, and I have to use a hitch extension which lower a couple inches. (Pic 1), if I buy again, I would probably buy the version on(Pic 2) and use it with the same extension with the drop for better door clearance. (Provided ground clearance isn't an issue.

Ford Bronco Curt folding cargo basket 1629637697984

but I prefer this version if I have a chance to buy it again.
Ford Bronco Curt folding cargo basket 1629637762203

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not enough to be concerned about, the standard tongue weight is 350 pounds. A cargo basket is typically rated at 100-200 pounds. With an extension it could in theory reduce the load capability but that is why the extension has a long load bearing insert to the receiver to spread the load.
That particular basket is rated for 500 lbs. Not that I plan on ever going over 200 lb or so.

Last edited:

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How does that not have taillights on it? I would not like that hanging off the back. Why not go with a cheap used dinky trailer?
It comes with poorly placed red reflector tape - but, was thinking of ways to replace them. As stated above - taillights will still be visible. If anyone is 24” from my tail, they have a problem anyhow. Haha.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have 1 which I used with my Jeep for the past few years. Very useful, It actually supports up to 500 lb. (I try to keep that weight under 150 lbs) I used it when I go camping, doing Goodwill trip keep wet items away from the inside cabin after water sports.
I have 1 which looks like this which doesn't clear the spare tires, and I have to use a hitch extension which lower a couple inches. (Pic 1), if I buy again, I would probably buy the version on(Pic 2) and use it with the same extension with the drop for better door clearance. (Provided ground clearance isn't an issue.

but I prefer this version if I have a chance to buy it again.
Is the only difference the height? I’m planning on installing fishing pole tube holders - so, was already worried about ground clearance.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Then yes, you are overloading the allowable tongue weight of 350lbs. With an extension and derating for its length, I would limit to load to 300lbs.
That’s what I discovered after reading the specs. Thanks!