Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Curt says to use no more than a 10 Amp fuse with their kit. The lowest available Mcase Slotted fuse type for that rear power box is 15 Amp. Think this is an issue?
That's what I was going to do. If you're worried you could put a 10A ATC fuse holder right at the Curt box.
Sponsored

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Curt says to use no more than a 10 Amp fuse with their kit. The lowest available Mcase Slotted fuse type for that rear power box is 15 Amp. Think this is an issue?
Art of the Humble Brag. Check out my installation of a 7 pin tow harness, which is no easy task, with extremely well documented photos on how to go about it, and end it with a question about a fuse. I’m having some fun here. That really was well done.

Overlander22

Badlands
First Name
jt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2wd/2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Art of the Humble Brag. Check out my installation of a 7 pin tow harness, which is no easy task, with extremely well documented photos on how to go about it, and end it with a question about a fuse. I’m having some fun here. That really was well done.
I replied to VoltageDrop's comment/post, not yours. I'm a novice and just trying to figure out if using a 15 amp fuse is an issue, that's all.

Overlander22

Badlands
First Name
jt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2wd/2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's what I was going to do. If you're worried you could put a 10A ATC fuse holder right at the Curt box.
I guess I could use the one that came with the Curt package! Lol. The only thing that sucks is if it blows I gotta take the panel trim off. If I did this does it forgo the need to put a 15 Amp fuse in the main box?

I'm still wrestling with just running it to the battery as I already have most of the trim panels removed anyway.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I replied to VoltageDrop's comment/post, not yours. I'm a novice and just trying to figure out if using a 15 amp fuse is an issue, that's all.
Reading comprehension failure on my part. Sorry about that. It really would have been funny if someone got all the way through that project, and then asked about a fuse. I’m with you on the novice thing. I looked at the pictures, installed a 4 pin, and called it a day. The thought of pulling interior panels gives me hives.

Sponsored

Overlander22

Badlands
First Name
jt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2wd/2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was reticent too but
Reading comprehension failure on my part. Sorry about that. It really would have been funny if someone got all the way through that project, and then asked about a fuse. I’m with you on the novice thing. I looked at the pictures, installed a 4 pin, and called it a day. The thought of pulling interior panels gives me hives.
I was reticent too but need a 7-pin for my trailer and wanted as much as possible inside. The panels were actually not that bad. Just had to find a couple of YouTube videos to give me the play-by-play. Disclaimer: I haven't put it back together yet.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I guess I could use the one that came with the Curt package! Lol. The only thing that sucks is if it blows I gotta take the panel trim off. If I did this does it forgo the need to put a 15 Amp fuse in the main box?

I'm still wrestling with just running it to the battery as I already have most of the trim panels removed anyway.
I see no reason to change the fuse in the engine bay if you're going to run another one at the Curt box. As I recall, it'd be pretty easy to access the fuse holder if you mount it up high near where the hard top bolts to the body. I think there's even a gap where you can see behind the trim there?

BBSas

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Easy install compared to the Ford. Get the additional bracket to hold the harness.

Overlander22

Badlands
First Name
jt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2wd/2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see no reason to change the fuse in the engine bay if you're going to run another one at the Curt box. As I recall, it'd be pretty easy to access the fuse holder if you mount it up high near where the hard top bolts to the body. I think there's even a gap where you can see behind the trim there?
Good idea
Curt’s plug-in-play wiring harness has dropped.

Looks quite a bit easier than the Ford unit.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56468
37FC6BA6-1057-4674-8268-F2F92C745E16.jpeg
After installing my 4pin to 7way adaptor isn't working. All tow vehicle tailights and turn signals are fine but running and brake lights, and turn signals to trailer are not. Power to trailer works. 4 to 7 adapter grounded at frame. I did sand prior to grounding. Any ideas?

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
mmorgan, the red wire and fuse connect to the battery and splice into the black wire. There drawing color is a little off. This is the power for the system.
The red wire going to the harness is for a two wire system (brake and turn signal separate).

I STARTED A THREAD WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO/QUESTIONS AND NO REPLIES. SINCE THIS THREAD WAS DISCUSSING THE CURT PLUG & PLAY I THOUGHT I WOULD REPOST HERE HOPING SOMEONE MAY HAVE INSIGHT INTO MY QUESTIONS....

PREVIOUS POST:
I will be flat towing my Outerbanks behind a 2023 Nexus Ghost Super C motorhome. I need to wire in a 4pin flat connector for when I tow a small cargo trailer behind the Bronco. I also need to set up the Bronco tail lights to function with the motorhome when being flat towed. I have already installed the Curt Trailer hitch to the Bronco, very easy 4 bolt job.

For the wiring I ordered the following from E-Trailer per their guidance.

RM-152-98146-7Roadmaster 4-Diode Universal Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles - 7-Wire to 6-Wire Straight Cord
rm-152-98146-7_23_tn-jpg.jpg

C42WRCurt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector
c42wr_13_tn-jpg.jpg
Looking for guidance on making the connections for both of these kits to make lights function as noted above. Before tearing into those kits & the Bronco tailights, did E-Trailer give me the correct parts? If yes, then when installing both does one need to be completed prior to the other?
If anyone has completed this similar job on their Bronco can weigh in, pics & write up is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does your motorhome have separate or combined brake/turn signal lights? Sometimes the coach lights are wired separate but the trailer connector is wired combined brake/turn.
The diodes will splice in the light harness before the light assembly connectors.
I would do the diodes and flat towing wiring first and make sure it works then plug in the trailer plug connectors. I have done the diodes but not the trailer plug.

Ford Bronco Curt Plug-and-Play No-Splice Trailer Wiring Harness Out For Bronco Left Side
Ford Bronco Curt Plug-and-Play No-Splice Trailer Wiring Harness Out For Bronco Right Side

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does your motorhome have separate or combined brake/turn signal lights? Sometimes the coach lights are wired separate but the trailer connector is wired combined brake/turn.
The diodes will splice in the light harness before the light assembly connectors.
I would do the diodes and flat towing wiring first and make sure it works then plug in the trailer plug connectors. I have done the diodes but not the trailer plug.

Ford Bronco Curt Plug-and-Play No-Splice Trailer Wiring Harness Out For Bronco Right Side
Thanks for responding and sharing the pics, Very helpful. Our Nexus Ghost Super C is just starting to be built at the factory. I'll give them a call to be sure I know if the RV is a separate or combined lighting system so I know how to splice in the diodes. Did you simply use butt connectors then shrink tubing to seal those splices?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for responding and sharing the pics, Very helpful. Our Nexus Ghost Super C is just starting to be built at the factory. I'll give them a call to be sure I know if the RV is a separate or combined lighting system so I know how to splice in the diodes. Did you simply use butt connectors then shrink tubing to seal those splices?
When you talk to the factory the key is how do they wire the trailer connector on the coach.
I stripped each wire back about a 1/4" and solder them together, then put heat shrink tubing over the solder joint. I was trying to keep the connections as small as possible. They make a heat shrink butt spice that would work just making the joint a little larger.
Have you seen these two attached PDF's.

Attachments

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the PDF's I'll take a look

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pics of my recent install and parts list if it helps anyone. Like a lot of other people, this was something that I really wanted, but ditched from my order as the years dragged on.

Wanted as close to a factory look as possible, and certainly wasn't going to have the 4 pin dangling down from under the bumper. I also had no desire to drill a hole in the frame for the ground.

I bought the short version Draw-Tite hitch as it had a platform to mount the 4 pin connector to.

2021-2022 Ford Bronco w/LED Taillights, Except Models w/OEM Hitch Draw-Tite Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2" Receiver, Black 76605 (towuniverse.com)

Standard Curt wiring for LED lights

2021 Ford Bronco Custom Fit Vehicle Wiring - CURT (etrailer.com)

4 pin wiring with spring loaded cover. I had to cut the original 4 pin from the Curt harness and solder this one on.

Amazon.com: 4-way Flat Trailer Connector with Snap Self-Closing Lid Cover Heavy-Duty 12V 4-pin Trailer Tow Wire Harness Socket Kit with 7.8" Wires Road Tough WeatherLock : Automotive

and Factory hitch cover.

Ford Bronco® 2" Black Rubber Trailer Tow Bumper Hitch Plug Cover w/ Bronco® Logo | eBay

There are plenty of videos on-line for the install so won't go there. I did mount the control box up inside the vehicle and plenty of space and wiring to do so.

I went ghetto on the ground and used a washer and a cheap connector and grounded it to a bumper bolt instead of drilling a hole in the frame. It works!

I made a mistake and mounted the hitch before the wiring bracket and didn't have the room to drop the bolts in from above.

I'll clean up the ground with an appropriate sized ring connector and loosen the hitch and see if my son can help me get it more centered while tightening the bolts.

340459192_1354213582036223_3761523504472013431_n.jpg

340767876_258413349943199_8021653272070509244_n.jpg

wiring.jpg
Sponsored