ManBearPig

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was fortunate enough to come in on the tail end of this and have the Halogen kit 56471 in front of me. I should not have to re-pin or float any grounds. At least I dont think.

I have studied the instructions and they make no mention of running 12v power to thic onverter box. The box has an unlabeled black wire...I assume this needs 12v?

Really would prefer not to run a wire to the battery just for this. Is that still neccesary on the Halogen specific kit?
Sponsored

OP
OP

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was fortunate enough to come in on the tail end of this and have the Halogen kit 56471 in front of me. I should not have to re-pin or float any grounds. At least I dont think.

I have studied the instructions and they make no mention of running 12v power to thic onverter box. The box has an unlabeled black wire...I assume this needs 12v?

Really would prefer not to run a wire to the battery just for this. Is that still neccesary on the Halogen specific kit?
I bought a male end of a 12v plug and just tuck it underneath the rear cargo are. When I want to use the trailer lights, I just plug it in. I didn’t want them
Powered all the time

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I read the instructions multiple times without seeing the mention of connecting black to the battery. Read it one more time and found it in the images of the wiring not the written content.

I went ahead and ran the wire from battery down the underside of the frame to the module at the back end. I may at a later time install the diode kit to make the tail lights work in concert with my RV which also requires 3 wires front to back. I installed the black wire for the module and the 3 wires for the diodes and just left the 3 wires unconnected at this time. I can always connect for the diode kit or leave unused if I don't go that route. Wasn't hard just time consuming.

I enclosed all wires in split plastic loom to protect from rubbing and creating electrical issues later on. For the life of me I cannot understand all of those who run wires like this along the frame and don't protect in some type of wire loom. Even the E-Trailer videos don't show them doing it. Doesn't make sense to me but that was the most time consuming part of the install. It also looks more professional and like I knew what I was doing.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I read the instructions multiple times without seeing the mention of connecting black to the battery. Read it one more time and found it in the images of the wiring not the written content.

I went ahead and ran the wire from battery down the underside of the frame to the module at the back end. I may at a later time install the diode kit to make the tail lights work in concert with my RV which also requires 3 wires front to back. I installed the black wire for the module and the 3 wires for the diodes and just left the 3 wires unconnected at this time. I can always connect for the diode kit or leave unused if I don't go that route. Wasn't hard just time consuming.

I enclosed all wires in split plastic loom to protect from rubbing and creating electrical issues later on. For the life of me I cannot understand all of those who run wires like this along the frame and don't protect in some type of wire loom. Even the E-Trailer videos don't show them doing it. Doesn't make sense to me but that was the most time consuming part of the install. It also looks more professional and like I knew what I was doing.
I also have the Curt trailer wiring kit. I am thinking about wiring it up to use as a 'towed' light set up but am having a mental block on were to put diodes, can you provide an explanation or diagram. I already have the 4 wire from the front to rear of the Bronco for the auxiliary lights I have installed.

I could also daisy chain the Curt towed harness in but afraid there might not be room for mor plugs behind the taillights.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I ran the 12V wire from my battery to the module on my 2006 Escape and it still works today. Unless it is rubbing on something, it should be perfectly fine.

Sponsored

Tigerbug

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 Diesel 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I also have the Curt trailer wiring kit. I am thinking about wiring it up to use as a 'towed' light set up but am having a mental block on were to put diodes, can you provide an explanation or diagram. I already have the 4 wire from the front to rear of the Bronco for the auxiliary lights I have installed.

I could also daisy chain the Curt towed harness in but afraid there might not be room for mor plugs behind the taillights.
Pretty much above my skill set what you are asking. I pretty much search in this forum or ask questions and go by who I think knows what I am trying to do.

Search threads by member grtharris, I've read some of his posts and he seems to really know what he is doing. He did the diode install and if you find it I'm pretty sure it will help. I think he had the factory hitch and wiring install but the diodes I think will go in prior to the Curt hitch wiring we both used. He has been very good at answering my questions as well so a pretty helpful guy in the forum.

jbacon47

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco BadLands manual 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any reason not to ground to the bolt circled in blue here? Behind the taillight
1A012C9A-A70B-4A96-AE5D-4AF7FF4028AA.jpeg

6FF0EAF0-2B3C-439A-9010-676B207535C6.jpeg
For the record: I used this bolt as my ground and had issues with rapid flashing turn-signals. The bolt appears to have a galvanized protective coating on it. Using a razor I scraped the coating off the bolt/washer and the issue appears to be fixed.

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think this is what I was trying to convey. Ford told us at the beginning that Bronco would be modular. What they didn't tell us is that anything that wasn't ordered from factory wouldn't include connection items. dropping tow loses all wiring. Soft top loses all hard top connections. Modular bumper gets no fog wiring. I knew "eventually" the aftermarket would catch up with many things but I really had no idea when I put down that reservation deposit day one that these things would be pouring out before I had mine in the garage. Then again I ordered a Badlands thinking it would be the most likely to have options only to find out that the aftermarket does not include Badlands in 90 percent of their offerings.

Just to demonstrate 'weird Ford Rules' I added the Modular bumper to my 23 Wildtrak, so I lost the fog lights in the capable bumper, but they did include all the wiring for the fog lights in the Modular bumper.

805BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Chevy Bolt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For the record: I used this bolt as my ground and had issues with rapid flashing turn-signals. The bolt appears to have a galvanized protective coating on it. Using a razor I scraped the coating off the bolt/washer and the issue appears to be fixed.
weird, I'm using this bolt without issues.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I posted this in another thread, but it might be relative here if you're going to use both Curt tow and towed wire harnesses.

I have towed my Bronco for over a year now, all good. I currently use a set of strap on lights which I built and work fine, but I'd like a cleaner set up. I have a Curt hitch and trailer wiring, which after modification works fine too.

I'm considering adding the Curt towed wiring. Does anyone know if this can be daisy chained with the Curt trailer tow harness? Will there be room behind the taillight for all the connectors (it's been awhile I can't remember)? I assume I would plug it in farthest upstream, between the Curt trailer wiring and the factory harness, correct?

new post:

So I daisy chained Curt towed/tow lights, everything fits, barely, and works.

NOTE TO THOSE PLAANNING TO USE CURT TOWED AND CURT TOW WIRING: the towed harness now comes with an auxiliary plug to hook up tow lights. So, you can get towed kit 58996 and tow 58920 and not have to fit 4 plugs behind the taillights..

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I installed the Curt plug harness over the weekend - took a couple hours but relatively painless.

Those plastic screw/clip things holding the trim panels on next to the lights are pretty lame though - I had to drill two of them out. Anyone have a PN for these or have an Amazon link to replace them?

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I installed the Curt plug harness over the weekend - took a couple hours but relatively painless.

Those plastic screw/clip things holding the trim panels on next to the lights are pretty lame though - I had to drill two of them out. Anyone have a PN for these or have an Amazon link to replace them?
Here you go...

Ford Bronco Curt Plug-and-Play No-Splice Trailer Wiring Harness Out For Bronco Screenshot_20221107_215047_Firefox

SGXIX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do the brake lights still work if we cut the red wire when installing this on base bronco?

SGXIX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs