First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Is it really busted? I don't see pics of the actual damage other than the boot not being attached.
Yeah I agree… I didn’t see any damage but they sure tried to sell me a new one lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
2PT7

2PT7

Wildtrak
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You’re the 4th one I’ve come across that had this happen to their CV. all instances were running the same zone 3” lift kit on SAS shocks, one of them hadn’t even been offroad once. If I had to guess, since they’re the only ones that offer an inch more than everybody else, it’s just too much lift.

only one that was able to get it warrantied was a buddy that worked at the dealership so there ya go
I applied at the local ford dealership this morning.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not saying what happened to op but anything more than a leveling lift on an independent front suspension you really need to do the lowering kit for your diff (available for the 6G) to keep angles for the cv joints within their range. I say this with 40+ years of off roading. Something you didn't have to worry about with straight axles. Even if you don't off road that much lift with ifs puts cv joints at a bad angle.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not saying what happened to op but anything more than a leveling lift on an independent front suspension you really need to do the lowering kit for your diff (available for the 6G) to keep angles for the cv joints within their range. I say this with 40+ years of off roading. Something you didn't have to worry about with straight axles. Even if you don't off road that much lift with ifs puts cv joints at a bad angle.

I’m looking for a diff lowering kit where can I find one? RC has one but it doesn’t really lower it that much. Curious to see if there is another one available. TIA

Last edited:

Sponsored

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Whoever installed the lift probably didn’t pop the cv shaft out of the hub before pulling your strut out and the cv separated.
Wouldnt the damage had occured to the cv axle at that time and not later. If he got it all back together seems like the cv axle was fine. I have only done a lift on a Ranger, which is similar, but agreed you have to pull the cv shaft out of the hub. I agree with some of the posters here that the extreme angle of the 3" lift is to blame.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This type of failure can also be caused by a band clamp not being tight enough or boot not correctly seated on the outer joint when the clamp installed. Yes, an increased angle due to a lift can cause the boot to compress more on one side and induce stress on the clamps, it does not mean the lift itself was the cause of the problem. Could've been caused when the lift was installed depending how it was done and if the CV was removed, how it was removed from the hub before the knuckle being loosened. From a dealer and warranty perspective, if there's no visible external damage to the boot, shaft or joint, the failed part is the outer clamp which is not serviced apart from the axle. Even if the dealer suspected the lift was the cause, cover the repair and inform the customer if this type of failure happens again it may not be covered. One time, yes, multiple failures of the same system in the same manner, no. Ford is very understanding of these situations but aren't dumb either.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This type of failure can also be caused by a band clamp not being tight enough or boot not correctly seated on the outer joint when the clamp installed. Yes, an increased angle due to a lift can cause the boot to compress more on one side and induce stress on the clamps, it does not mean the lift itself was the cause of the problem. Could've been caused when the lift was installed depending how it was done and if the CV was removed, how it was removed from the hub before the knuckle being loosened. From a dealer and warranty perspective, if there's no visible external damage to the boot, shaft or joint, the failed part is the outer clamp which is not serviced apart from the axle. Even if the dealer suspected the lift was the cause, cover the repair and inform the customer if this type of failure happens again it may not be covered. One time, yes, multiple failures of the same system in the same manner, no. Ford is very understanding of these situations but aren't dumb either.
Now if only more service departments shared this sentiment and not try to find any excuse to get customer pay

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now if only more service departments shared this sentiment and not try to find any excuse to get customer pay
It should be a simple judgement call. To be brutally honest, Ford has made it their mission to try and get out of claims that aren't straight forward so if you're getting serviced at a dealer you didn't purchase from and have a situation where it could be called either way, a lot of times they'll err on the side of lesser risk. Ford will call all of the parts back and if they didn't replace all the parts on the list above, will charge the claim back to the dealer. They could also ask for supporting documentation or just flat call it abuse and charge back too. Once the repair is done and vehicle gone, the chances of recouping a charged back repair from the customer is highly unlikely. We fight this daily with claims that are cut and dried.

I brought this up well over a year ago on our Ford message boards when Bronco were just coming out because it's being marketed for off-highway use. How were we going to treat warranty claims and where's the line when it comes to a failure, intended use, limits and abuse? Nothing has been put out to help answer this and generally speaking, Ford and the dealers want to make the right call for everyone involved. Dealers are worried Ford will charge them back after the fact which could amount to thousands of dollars. On the other side, we have to give customers the benefit of the doubt in some of these situations which is what Ford tells us to do.

How do you deny a CV failure for a lift when it clearly says, "lift me baby" in the wheel well but doesn't include a disclaimer saying it will void your warranty if Brand X lift isn't used or lifted over X inches? Good arguments to be made on both sides of these calls but can involve financial risk if not done in good faith. I don't like subsidizing warranty claims for Ford but if we screw up I understand it's on us, when we don't and get charged back, that's when I've got a problem with the process.

Lurker B6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You’re the 4th one I’ve come across that had this happen to their CV. all instances were running the same zone 3” lift kit on SAS shocks, one of them hadn’t even been offroad once. If I had to guess, since they’re the only ones that offer an inch more than everybody else, it’s just too much lift.

only one that was able to get it warrantied was a buddy that worked at the dealership so there ya go
The trend is interesting, but I am having trouble understanding why this kit would be at issue vs. other similar kits.

The lift is hybrid with both spacer and spring preload (perch).

About 1.5 inches of lift comes from a 1.0 inch spacer, and about 1.5 inches of lift comes from a 1.0 inch perch.

While the perch does in fact increase the operating angle of the CV during normal use, it does NOT add to the maximum CV angle (droop), when the system is unloaded or on a lift.

The 1.5 inch spacer lift DOES increase both the operating angle of the CV AND the maximum CV angle (droop). It is very consistent across all brands that a 2 inch spacer lift is off limits for Bilstein shocks, but a 1.5 inch is commonly found (i.e. the max and theoretically OK - non binding).

Seems like this could be an install issue, but I am not really clear on what is wrong other than the band came off of the boot...

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The trend is interesting, but I am having trouble understanding why this kit would be at issue vs. other similar kits.

The lift is hybrid with both spacer and spring preload (perch).

About 1.5 inches of lift comes from a 1.0 inch spacer, and about 1.5 inches of lift comes from a 1.0 inch perch.

While the perch does in fact increase the operating angle of the CV during normal use, it does NOT add to the maximum CV angle (droop), when the system is unloaded or on a lift.

The 1.5 inch spacer lift DOES increase both the operating angle of the CV AND the maximum CV angle (droop). It is very consistent across all brands that a 2 inch spacer lift is off limits for Bilstein shocks, but a 1.5 inch is commonly found (i.e. the max and theoretically OK - non binding).

Seems like this could be an install issue, but I am not really clear on what is wrong other than the band came off of the boot...
So I don’t have the zone kit and have tried to reach out to zone regarding the height of their spacers (to which they said was propietary information). If you have the kit, measuring the spacers would be helpful as they do not look to be of equal sizing between the top hat and spring preload spacer.

Being that my buddy with the kit that never took it offroad once, I believe the main issue here is the new operating angle at ride height.

Likely a “long term” thing that Zone didn’t account for. They were one of the first to market with their kit, so my guess is they didn’t do much R&D beyond cycling the suspension to check the components dont bind at the new max angle , and calling it good. Also probably doesn’t happen to that many people so they would’ve needed a larger sample size of Broncos to see this issue.

seems unlikely this is an install issue as if it were, the issue would be popping up on other combo kits like Icon’s, too. Not the only spacer combo kit that offers an inch more than everyone else, ya know?

Last edited:

62chad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I did my 3" zone kit I was dumb and didn't knock the hub out. Ended up jumping on the hub to get the strut out...and boom the cv joint busted loose... to the point the hub was completely disconnected. Key to get it back in...it will seem impossible... undo the boot clamp and push it back so you can see the two ends... push everything together and wiggle it back and forth turning the hub while applying pressure. Eventually it will satisfyingly snap back into place. Been 500 miles and have gone offroading twice. Only issue I've had is I didn't get the clamp seated correctly so it's leaked some lube. Got a new clamp and some lube to throw on tomorrow.
Sponsored