Sponsored

Dealer Add-Ons, are they legal in California?

frd415

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good afternoon all,
My salesman (not the original one that placed my order) texted me the other day and said he wasn't sure if my previous salesman told me, but there are dealer add-ons that they add to all vehicles. I told him that I was never advised of this since first speaking with the dealer in February 2021. Mind you, I have spoken to 2 managers and 3 salesmen and no one has ever mentioned this until they emailed me my window sticker. I said that I do not want any add-ons. These include lojack, window etching, vinyl door molding, etc. I never asked the price because I don't plan on paying for them. I am trying to figure out what my rights are in California. Is there a specific consumer law that protects me? The CA DMV website has a Car Buyers Bill of Rights. This says any dealer add-ons have to be disclosed on a separate page and not incorporated into the selling price of the vehicle. It also says that the customer has to consent to the said add-ons. It doesn't tell me what to do if they attempt to force me to pay for them. They already told me that I can no longer use my Z-plan since they was a change of ownership. This has been the worst Ford purchase I've dealt with, all from the dealer. The wait sucked, but that was inevitable. What's not, is the lack of customer service provided by the dealer. They must realize that I will never buy a car from them again. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Frank
Sponsored

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Didn't you find your answer in the consumer bill of rights? They must disclose it which they didn't until now. They can't he added to the price, etc. As we've also learned, dealers don't have to sell anything to you either. I would try to work it out with the dealer. If the doesn't work, file a complaint with whoever enforces the bill of rights.

OP
OP
frd415

frd415

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The DMV bill of rights is vague. It does say they can't include anything you don't consent to. I am looking for a little more ammunition than just a few words. It would be nice if the DMV provided additional info regarding how to handle it.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you leave a deposit with the dealer to make the Special Order?

OP
OP
frd415

frd415

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, I did not. Everything was done via email. The dealer is 60 miles from me.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And from what I have read, you cannot, as I understand it, go out of state to buy from a reasonable dealer (maybe from one or two states - but you cannot unless I am mistaken fly here to PA, buy a rig and drive it back to CA and be able to register it

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Purchase Price Disclosure for Items Included in the Monthly Payment
The dealer must provide a written document with the price of specified items purchased and their effect on installment payments (California Civil Code §2982).

• Items requiring disclosure include a service contract, insurance product, debt cancellation agreement (“gap” insurance), theft deterrent device, surface protection product, and contract cancellation option agreement.
  • No charges may be added to the contract without full disclosure and your consent.
  • The document must include the cost of the monthly installment payments with and without items listed.
See item 2 - https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/car-buyers-bill-of-rights-ffvr-35/

And yes you can register a vehicle purchased out of state in California, but they don't make the process easy.

MyBroncoNotYours

Badlands
First Name
Good Try FBI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And from what I have read, you cannot, as I understand it, go out of state to buy from a reasonable dealer (maybe from one or two states - but you cannot unless I am mistaken fly here to PA, buy a rig and drive it back to CA and be able to register it
I’m confused, your wording makes this sound illegal. It isn’t. You can buy from another state while living in California, they just make you pay the difference in sales tax or you can have your dealer in the other state pay the taxes to the state of California and charge the amount the DMV does.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bad news, the dealer owns the Bronco until they sell it to you.
They can ask for adm pure profit.
They can ask that you buy add ons mostly profit.
They can say you have to pay or they won’t sell it to you.

Good news:
You can raise hell and slam them on social networks. Most dealers back down when this is mentioned or started.
You can also talk to an attorney.
Id go social as it’s cheaper.

Be nice at first. Say this was not on my original purchase agreement in writing I will not be paying for any add ons.

More good news if dealer was just sold to ownership group. Find out who purchased how many dealers they own and where they are based out of.

Social network can hurt an entire dealer group if it’s done right.

What dealer is it? I’m in NorCal.

Sponsored

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Didn't you find your answer in the consumer bill of rights? They must disclose it which they didn't until now. They can't he added to the price, etc. As we've also learned, dealers don't have to sell anything to you either. I would try to work it out with the dealer. If the doesn't work, file a complaint with whoever enforces the bill of rights.
Most time add on are disclosed on a separate sticker on the windshield and that probably the only discloser they need .

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

you can but if the other states tax is lower then you well need to pay the deference thats what I well need to do sense I am buy in Ca but live NV.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

But he does not own the Bronco the dealer does they can't add to or to the price after you buy it

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good afternoon all,
My salesman (not the original one that placed my order) texted me the other day and said he wasn't sure if my previous salesman told me, but there are dealer add-ons that they add to all vehicles. I told him that I was never advised of this since first speaking with the dealer in February 2021. Mind you, I have spoken to 2 managers and 3 salesmen and no one has ever mentioned this until they emailed me my window sticker. I said that I do not want any add-ons. These include lojack, window etching, vinyl door molding, etc. I never asked the price because I don't plan on paying for them. I am trying to figure out what my rights are in California. Is there a specific consumer law that protects me? The CA DMV website has a Car Buyers Bill of Rights. This says any dealer add-ons have to be disclosed on a separate page and not incorporated into the selling price of the vehicle. It also says that the customer has to consent to the said add-ons. It doesn't tell me what to do if they attempt to force me to pay for them. They already told me that I can no longer use my Z-plan since they was a change of ownership. This has been the worst Ford purchase I've dealt with, all from the dealer. The wait sucked, but that was inevitable. What's not, is the lack of customer service provided by the dealer. They must realize that I will never buy a car from them again. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Frank
Ford Bronco Dealer Add-Ons, are they legal in California? Screenshot_20220417-015032_Google

Edit: hope you kept your buyers order and proof of all communication.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If he or she signed sales agreement when they placed their order the then you're right. No signed sales agreement means pricing or add ons were never disclosed on a separate page.
devil is in the detail.

I'm sure this is technicality the dealership is aware
Sponsored