Sponsored

Dealer Add-Ons, are they legal in California?

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Good afternoon all,
My salesman (not the original one that placed my order) texted me the other day and said he wasn't sure if my previous salesman told me, but there are dealer add-ons that they add to all vehicles. I told him that I was never advised of this since first speaking with the dealer in February 2021. Mind you, I have spoken to 2 managers and 3 salesmen and no one has ever mentioned this until they emailed me my window sticker. I said that I do not want any add-ons. These include lojack, window etching, vinyl door molding, etc. I never asked the price because I don't plan on paying for them. I am trying to figure out what my rights are in California. Is there a specific consumer law that protects me? The CA DMV website has a Car Buyers Bill of Rights. This says any dealer add-ons have to be disclosed on a separate page and not incorporated into the selling price of the vehicle. It also says that the customer has to consent to the said add-ons. It doesn't tell me what to do if they attempt to force me to pay for them. They already told me that I can no longer use my Z-plan since they was a change of ownership. This has been the worst Ford purchase I've dealt with, all from the dealer. The wait sucked, but that was inevitable. What's not, is the lack of customer service provided by the dealer. They must realize that I will never buy a car from them again. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Frank
Did you sign a sales agreement when you placed you order?
Sponsored

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If he or she signed sales agreement when they placed their order the then you're right. No signed sales agreement means pricing or add ons were never disclosed on a separate page.
devil is in the detail.

I'm sure this is technicality the dealership is aware
After all of the publicity on this issue, there's no reason for people not to have a signed sales agreement moving forward.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

And from what I have read, you cannot, as I understand it, go out of state to buy from a reasonable dealer (maybe from one or two states - but you cannot unless I am mistaken fly here to PA, buy a rig and drive it back to CA and be able to register it
I don't know if anybody else has replied to this but...

You're wrong. As long as the vehicle meets California emissions, you can bring it in from another state and register it in California. If you didn't pay taxes on it in the state that you purchased it in, you will need to pay those when it gets registered. Or if you paid less, you'll have to pay the difference. And you have to get it smog tested even if it's brand new. I have personally gone through this procedure in California.

There are separate rules for vehicles that don't meet the California emission requirements. Those need to have at least 7500 miles on the odometer. But I could take my Idaho Bronco to California, sell it to someone there with only 1500 miles, and they could register it immediately because it has the sticker under the hood stating that it meets California emission requirements.

The topic of registering out of state vehicles in California has been the source of more misinformation than just about any other subject I can think of. (I do what I can to help set things straight when I get the chance.)

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m confused, your wording makes this sound illegal. It isn’t. You can buy from another state while living in California, they just make you pay the difference in sales tax or you can have your dealer in the other state pay the taxes to the state of California and charge the amount the DMV does.
I had read somewhere (on the internet, obviously)that only vehicles first sold in CA could be registered in CA. And I thought it was more than the issue of a vehicle, for example built to GA emissions without a CA stamp could never be registered in CA. Not all the other 49 states follow the stricter CARB standards

But also other reasons
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34942870/2021-chevy-camaro-ss-zl1-california-washington/
And better buy up all the ICE cars you can since in 8 short years you might be out of luck CARB Pushing Plan for 70% of New Vehicles Sold in California be Zero Emission by 2030 - The Detroit Bureau
Wait until CA starts outlawing ICE vehicles entirely - oh wait, they did try https://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/cars-global-warming-classic-vintage/2015/02/25/id/626880/

And are
California Ban On Gas-Powered Cars Makes No Sense | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD (investors.com)

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i
I had read somewhere (on the internet, obviously)that only vehicles first sold in CA could be registered in CA. And I thought it was more than the issue of a vehicle, for example built to GA emissions without a CA stamp could never be registered in CA. Not all the other 49 states follow the stricter CARB standards

But also other reasons
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34942870/2021-chevy-camaro-ss-zl1-california-washington/
And better buy up all the ICE cars you can since in 8 short years you might be out of luck CARB Pushing Plan for 70% of New Vehicles Sold in California be Zero Emission by 2030 - The Detroit Bureau
Wait until CA starts outlawing ICE vehicles entirely - oh wait, they did try https://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/cars-global-warming-classic-vintage/2015/02/25/id/626880/

And are
California Ban On Gas-Powered Cars Makes No Sense | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD (investors.com)
[

But also other reasons

And are
I think it needs to pass a smog test first
/QUOTE]

MyBroncoNotYours

Badlands
First Name
Good Try FBI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Let’s think logically about that first part…if you could only register a vehicle in CA if it was bought in CA, then everyone who moves here would have to sell their car and then either buy a new one or…re-buy it? Doesn’t make sense.

The second part is correct, your vehicle must meet California’s emissions standards, but any auto manufacturer not building cars to meet all 50 states is missing out on the 30M+ people that live in CA. Why would you take 10-15% of your market share out of the running?

If you sell a vehicle in the state of California, there is no reason to make two versions, one that meets it’s standards and one that doesn’t (for sale outside the state). It wouldn’t be cost effective and customers might choose not to buy due to the exclusion of the vehicle from the state.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Let’s think logically about that first part…if you could only register a vehicle in CA if it was bought in CA, then everyone who moves here would have to sell their car and then either buy a new one or…re-buy it? Doesn’t make sense.

The second part is correct, your vehicle must meet California’s emissions standards, but any auto manufacturer not building cars to meet all 50 states is missing out on the 30M+ people that live in CA. Why would you take 10-15% of your market share out of the running?

If you sell a vehicle in the state of California, there is no reason to make two versions, one that meets it’s standards and one that doesn’t (for sale outside the state). It wouldn’t be cost effective and customers might choose not to buy due to the exclusion of the vehicle from the state.
There are only 13 other states plus DC that have adopted CARB. My state happens to be one, so, yes, any new car sold in PA can be registered in CA without red tape or a physical test. It is still conceivable, although unlikely, that some new vehicles just might not incur the extra cost of getting the stamp under the hood - even though the vehicle passes the standards. It is a cost added program with an overseer. Detroit cannot declare their vehicles as CARB compliant without outside testing (although they can and do self-certify all their EPA mpg ratings as there are zero EPA personnel testing cars in a government run facility. (unlike the Nebraska Tractor testing laws prohibiting any tractor from being sold in the state that has not been tested by the state)

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Screenshot_20220417-015032_Google.jpg

Edit: hope you kept your buyers order and proof of all communication.
Only problem is to enforce you you have to go through an attorney which typically cost more than the add on.

Cooldude

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes e400 cab, edge titanium, ford f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If the add in isn’t much and they wont budge, pay it. Remember while your negotiating , someone could buy it out from under you.

Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you had in writing that your Z-plan would be accepted and now that it’s time to take delivery and they are refusing, call Ford. Doesn’t matter if the dealer changed hands.

Also as a Z-plan buyer, the dealer is not allowed to “force” you to buy add ons. Read your plan rules.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Only problem is to enforce you you have to go through an attorney which typically cost more than the add on.
To each his own, in most cases the losing party pays the fees. That is assuming you present the case as such.

If you had in writing that your Z-plan would be accepted and now that it’s time to take delivery and they are refusing, call Ford. Doesn’t matter if the dealer changed hands.

Also as a Z-plan buyer, the dealer is not allowed to “force” you to buy add ons. Read your plan rules.
I missed this, Fords still allowing A, D, and Z plans on the Broncos. If the dealer is now recanting this after you agreed, call Ford. I didn't waste my time trying to haggle that with the dealer I ordered from due to the attitude of the salesman (thank the lord I'm working with someone else now), said salesman also claimed "Ford doesn’t even offer D plan for the Bronco". It honestly wouldn't have saved much since there isn't much wiggle room between msrp and invoice anymore. But then again, having an extra $40 a month is an extra $40 now-a-days.

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To each his own, in most cases the losing party pays the fees. That is assuming you present the case as such.

I missed this, Fords still allowing A, D, and Z plans on the Broncos. If the dealer is now recanting this after you agreed, call Ford. I didn't waste my time trying to haggle that with the dealer I ordered from due to the attitude of the salesman (thank the lord I'm working with someone else now), said salesman also claimed "Ford doesn’t even offer D plan for the Bronco". It honestly wouldn't have saved much since there isn't much wiggle room between msrp and invoice anymore. But then again, having an extra $40 a month is an extra $40 now-a-days.
You have to win to get the payment. I’ve been through a lawsuit and though I won the entire process sucked. Would not want to go through it again.

Especially with dealers backing down when the receive 50+ negative reviews….

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You have to win to get the payment. I’ve been through a lawsuit and though I won the entire process sucked. Would not want to go through it again.

Especially with dealers backing down when the receive 50+ negative reviews….
I'm not here for a debate, nor am I saying we're right or wrong. You're not the only person who has been through legal battles.

The OP asked a question about legalities, I answered with a screenshot. It should've ended there by letting them make the informed decision on how to proceed. If they want to fight let them fight, why not give them all the ammunition they can get? They can also use all this info to avoid a legal battle as well, but must tread lightly. Most companies will immediately put up a guard and shut out the other party if they sense any legal recourse may be ahead.

OP
OP
frd415

frd415

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do not have the z-plan agreement in writing. The saleman told me they would accept it. I was then told a few weeks ago that they would not. I have a few emails between myself and the saleman where I asked for the z-plan price and he told me it would not be available until the invoice arrived. The dealer doesn't care about the emails.
Sponsored